Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find a way to take my son on my quad other than in front of me(he's getting too tall) and I dont feel comfortable with him just sitting behind me. So, I was thinking maybe a rack on the rear and a cargo box with a built in seat? Anyone ever seen or done this before? Now granted this would be for very easy riding, no hot rodding or anything like that. Thanks DJ

·
Registered
205 Posts
what about a sissy bar from a harley or somthing like that

·
Registered
844 Posts
Make some type of a sissy bar that bolts to the rear subframe by the grab bar then just get creative!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah it should pretty easy for a welding shop to rig up. I'd try to rig a seat belt on there so you dont have to worry about him holding on.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I am trying to find a way to take my son on my quad other than in front of me(he's getting too tall) and I dont feel comfortable with him just sitting behind me. So, I was thinking maybe a rack on the rear and a cargo box with a built in seat? Anyone ever seen or done this before? Now granted this would be for very easy riding, no hot rodding or anything like that. Thanks DJ
I'm not sure about this idea, there is always the chance of something going wrong, accidents can happen.............
Even the two up seats on some quads make me nervous, all is well until you get into an accident, I know you said about being careful, I drove sleds for years with my son in front of me, and drove like a fool too, but I never allowed him to sit behind me.............

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
In most states, 2 up on a quad is illegal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have been thinking of getting him his own quad and may still do so. But, alot of places dont allow smaller atvs to be driven on trails. This would most likely be something we would attach to my wifes (soon to be) quad. We would love to get a 2 up but not in the bidget right now. DJ

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
We have been thinking of getting him his own quad and may still do so. But, alot of places dont allow smaller atvs to be driven on trails. This would most likely be something we would attach to my wifes (soon to be) quad. We would love to get a 2 up but not in the bidget right now. DJ
But they DO allow 2 up riding on quads not designed for it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
When my son was younger i used a belt big enough to fit around both of us around his upper back and around my chest it worked pretty good but i would say buy him his own quad see were lookin out for you little man ;)

·
Registered
745 Posts
How old is your son?
Is he big/small for his age?
How physically adept is he?

I started my kids (at age 8 and 5 respectively) riding on their own.
It was a little electric quad, but it had enough power for me to burn donuts in the drive and was a great starter for my kids to learn steering control and tipping points.
Then we moved them up to a Suzuki 90 the next year.
That was a lot more power, but still maxed out at about 30MPH after we took the restrictors out. That little quad hauled my fat butt over the mountains a few times and was a lot of fun.
Then the next year we moved my older son (10 then) to a Raptor 250.
That was a real blast and gave him the ability to keep up with anybody on trail. Within a year he was jumping it as far as he could fling it. so by the time he turned 12 he was more than ready for a YFZ450. He was pushing the 250 beyond it's limits and needed the more capable YFZ suspension.
At 13 my older boy was racing his 450 in the ITP Quadcross. While his younger brother (10) is perfectly content to trail around on the Raptor 250.
Point being, by giving them the tools to advance their skills at their own pace both of my boys have become VERY competent riders and I have no fears letting either one of them ride my Raptor 700 as they have both shown years of experience when it comes to control and ability.

Personally, I would never ride two up for anything more than just putting around a parking lot in 1st gear. The quads that are designed for two-up have stretched wheelbases and heavy springs to keep them stable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everybody for all the input. My wife and I have decided that we are going to bag the 2-up idea. My son is 7 and he is big for his age. He's never ridden a four wheeler but he's been on snowmobiles since he was four. He had a Kitty Cat when he was four and has moved on to a 120 and rides the hell out of that. We are going to look for a 90 or 110 for him to ride. Thanks again for all the input. You guys pointed out alot of safety issues that we overlooke dand I am greatful for that. Hopefully we can find a good deal on one for him soon. Thanks DJ

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
We tried it. The quad was way too unstable, and we didn't realize it until after the crash. It went over backwards on a slight incline, luckily they were able to jump off, and no one was hurt badly, although the ego took a bruise. The quads were not so lucky - the one that tipped and the one right behind both ended up with broken plastics and bent braces.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts