Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2,259 Posts
Sounds like a vibration of some kind to me, made more obvious by the slight high idle in the cold. I’ve had aluminum skid plates rattle from vibration that sounded just like that

Your nerf bars could be a culprit too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2022 Yamaha Raptor 700r
244 Posts
What's the temperature where you live? And what oil are you running? If you're running too thick of oil, your motor will make a lot of knocking noises until it warms up. It's real common with diesels as well in the winter time. If you like to ride in the cold, switched with thinner weight oil.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a vibration of some kind to me, made more obvious by the slight high idle in the cold. I’ve had aluminum skid plates rattle from vibration that sounded just like that

Your nerf bars could be a culprit too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not vibration since it starts 2 seconds after start, it comes from engine. Sounds like cogwheel grinding or something like that.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's the temperature where you live? And what oil are you running? If you're running too thick of oil, your motor will make a lot of knocking noises until it warms up. It's real common with diesels as well in the winter time. If you like to ride in the cold, switched with thinner weight oil.
I use Motul 5100 10w40 and temperature here is around -10c atm.. can go as low as -30+. It sounds like cogwheel grinding or somthing like that.. maybe from oil pump?

· Registered
84 Posts
In temperatures as cold as he is, I personally would use 0w30 instead of 5w30.
That is really dang cold.
Sometimes in frigid weather I run thinner oil than is even suggested.
These modern 0w30 oils are pretty sweet for cold temps.

· Registered
62 Posts
Aluminum skid plates can vibrate at certain rpms. Mine vibrated like crazy at 2400 rpms. I removed them. My latest vibration was my ASV clutch lever bolt being slightly loose. It was so bad that I thought something came loose in the head. As for oil, Cuervo recommended Amsoil powersport 0w40. It covers all operating temps I will see from 0 to 115 degrees F

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aluminum skid plates can vibrate at certain rpms. Mine vibrated like crazy at 2400 rpms. I removed them. My latest vibration was my ASV clutch lever bolt being slightly loose. It was so bad that I thought something came loose in the head. As for oil, Cuervo recommended Amsoil powersport 0w40. It covers all operating temps I will see from 0 to 115 degrees F
This sound comes from engine, left side of it. Yeah gotta go with that oil, seems best choice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts