Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
im just learning how to weld and i assume youve never welded before? do yourself a favor and take it to someone that knows what theyre doing. i wouldnt dare weld on my bike

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I have a busted frame the I had to cut in half the get the swingarm off. I was going to practise by welding it a little bit. just to get the temperature and speed right....I just don't want to melt through the frame

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
the thinnest ive welded on was 1/8" ange with a arc welder and it was kinda tough. i dont know anything about the frames as to their alloy but i would assume theyre thin and would be easy to blow right through. but then again ive never tig or mig welded...

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
If i did it i would use a mig welder. Just make sure your metal is real clean of paint and dirt. I would think it would weld just fine. On the other hand if you dont weld much its not a bad idea to have some help. No shame in wanting it to turn out nice and strong. =)

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
Your quad's frame is NOT the place for learning to weld... someone who is expert in the field will charge you next to nothing to do it and you'll have exquisite, proper, strong welds that won't let go under heavy riding (NOT something you want to happen).

Learn elsewhere, then when you DO make decent welds (after 20 - 40 hours of practice) you can do the next frame welding yourself. I am ok at MIG welding, after modifying a couple of trailers, but I think I'd still have an expert do my frame - my welds just aren't pretty enough and I'd worry about their strength.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
For the best welds possible, use a TIG welder, you can control the heat, penetration ,strength and weld appearance will be just awesome, AS LONG as you know what you are doing............

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have a TIG and I wouldn't know how to use one....I guess I'll take it to a welding shop. what about those gravity fed handheld sandblasters? are they any good?

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Tig is for aluminum. Mig for steal
I think you mean "steel"

Coming from someone who is actually in the welding field - TIG (GTAW to be correct) is for high quality and delicate work. MIG (GMAW) is designed for high production speeds and CAN achieve good quality IF done properly. Both GTAW and GMAW can be utilize for aluminum and steel but require appropriate setup and experience. IMO for someone that has never welded before (or has little experience) you will likely be best off not doing any welding on your frame.

I think you should do a little homework. :)
I have welded aluminum. Steel. Copper with a TIG.
Most small aircraft frames are TIG welded chrome moly steel frames..............:)
+1

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just to add more in the same direction, I bought a MIG and only worked on exhaust pipes for the first 30 hours and some scrap metal on my work bench. I then moved to frame work on (more art then function) speaker stands. I have started a Go-Kart frame from scratch and repaired a few trailer frames. I am still not ready to weld my Raptor frame and had a shop repair some small areas before I had it powder coated. Just my two cents. Someday I will pull this off.

I have used a siphon bead blaster form a 5 gallon bucket outside to work on trailer frames and its ok for small areas to weld. Not sure about the gravity feed type. I know that the pressurized version that has an air tank with the media in it is much faster. I have a 30CFM air system and my siphon is just good enough. Even my scat blast cabinet media blaster is to slow at times so I would think if you have a small air compressor and your looking to strip your entire quad frame you might want to use chmical stripper first and do some clean up on rust with a little sand blaster.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to add more in the same direction, I bought a MIG and only worked on exhaust pipes for the first 30 hours and some scrap metal on my work bench. I then moved to frame work on (more art then function) speaker stands. I have started a Go-Kart frame from scratch and repaired a few trailer frames. I am still not ready to weld my Raptor frame and had a shop repair some small areas before I had it powder coated. Just my two cents. Someday I will pull this off.

I have used a siphon bead blaster form a 5 gallon bucket outside to work on trailer frames and its ok for small areas to weld. Not sure about the gravity feed type. I know that the pressurized version that has an air tank with the media in it is much faster. I have a 30CFM air system and my siphon is just good enough. Even my scat blast cabinet media blaster is to slow at times so I would think if you have a small air compressor and your looking to strip your entire quad frame you might want to use chmical stripper first and do some clean up on rust with a little sand blaster.
thanks for the info...sounds like a have lots of work to do in a short amount of time... this stuff would be much easier if I had money:eek:

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
I use to use a TIG at work when I worked for an airline for welding everything from engine trusses, Chromoly, inconel and stainless. I know my old boss used it for his race car frames to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
you need LOTS of time and practice before you think to start welding on your own stuff!! I weld professionally, and still take my stuff in sometimes. If you are gonna do your own sand blasting, I can's suggest the type of blaster to use, but i do suggest that you look into a college or trade school that does body work, maybe they'll blast it for you to teach their students how to do it, or if you want to do it your self still, look into using baking soda, not as effective as the "normal" blast media, but cheaper, and "greener". You could look into a powder coating company to hook it up a bit also...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do you need to take any precautions when welding the frame ie CDI removal or other similar stuff?

I will be welding the back where the back bumper goes. the one I am working on is cracked bad.

thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
The subfames are usually aluminum. It can't hurt and won't take long to pull the cdi. If you have a good work connection (sometimes mis-called a ground) and placement you shouldn't have to worry about it. However it is your project so assume as much risk as you want.

Personally I would conpletely remove the subframe and repair it on the bench if its that bad.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
The subfames are usually aluminum. It can't hurt and won't take long to pull the cdi. If you have a good work connection (sometimes mis-called a ground) and placement you shouldn't have to worry about it. However it is your project so assume as much risk as you want.

Personally I would conpletely remove the subframe and repair it on the bench if its that bad.
The 01s had an aluminum subframe, 02 660s and up used a tubular steel subframe.........
The important thing to remember when welding is to ground the welder properly to the component you are welding, so say you are welding the subframe, ground to the subframe, not to the engine.........;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
thanks. I have a nice miller spoolgun setup that I mig aluminum with all the time. fixed many outboard skegs and I do have some square tube lying around.

Guess It waits until a nice warm day. this weather in the east sucks.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,765 Posts
I wouldn't use paint stripper, may leave contamints that would affect welds. Any sand blaster will work, some are faster then others. Don't use beach sand, look at Harbor Fright for the correct media. Always remove the battery on any vehicle with a computer, especialy for TIG or MIG. Maybe tack weld your braces for alignment and have a pro finish weld.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts