Raptor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a predicament. I have a starter gear that has been tac welded to the back of the stator, in place of the starter clutch kit. Is that going to hurt anything? Its on a 2004 660R LE. I just built a stage 2 kit in it.

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Since the stator is a set of windings mounted to the case cover I suspect you must be describing the clutch body being welded to the flywheel instead - it's mounting bolts shearing off is a common issue. You won't survive without the starter clutch. The 52 tooth gear freewheels (in one direction only) within the clutch body

As long as the starter one-way clutch still works I see no issues. Your predicament will be if the one-way fails - then you're gonna have a few problems trying to replace it...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum!

Since the stator is a set of windings mounted to the case cover I suspect you must be describing the clutch body being welded to the flywheel instead - it's mounting bolts shearing off is a common issue. You won't survive without the starter clutch. The 52 tooth gear freewheels (in one direction only) within the clutch body

As long as the starter one-way clutch still works I see no issues. Your predicament will be if the one-way fails - then you're gonna have a few problems trying to replace it...
Its the gear itself that is welded to the back of the magnet. Its just tack welded so I could heat it up and knock it off probably but I didn't think it would hurt anything. There is no bearing or anything between the gear and clutch body. Its just the magnet, clutch body thats bolted to the back of it, I assume thats what is bolted to the back side of the magnet and the gear that is welded to the back side

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
Does the starter even work? Assuming the intermediate gear is in place then, with the 52T gear welded to flywheel, the starter is also locked to the flywheel through the gear train and the starter will over-rev to destruction with the engine running...

So, simple answer - NO, it's not okay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the starter even work? Assuming the intermediate gear is in place then, with the 52T gear welded to flywheel, the starter is also locked to the flywheel through the gear train and the starter will over-rev to destruction with the engine running...

So, simple answer - NO, it's not okay.
I haven't even tried running it yet I'm still putting it together. Was not sure if that was going to be a problem or not. I wasn't for sure if the starter was all time engaged. There's nowhere near that I can get that clutch in by this weekend, so is there any temporary alternative I could do?

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
I haven't even tried running it yet I'm still putting it together. Was not sure if that was going to be a problem or not. I wasn't for sure if the starter was all time engaged. There's nowhere near that I can get that clutch in by this weekend, so is there any temporary alternative I could do?
remove the gear reduction and tow/push start the bike.

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
That's your only option short of a phone call and Saturday delivery.

I can't imagine why anyone would weld the 52T gear to the clutch... but there's a moron born every minute (no offense to whoever did it).

Reactions: Nixon cole

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
No... but instead, I'd consider using a socket on a cordless drill on the flywheel bolt? When originally torqued to over 110 ft lbs it's not going to come off from being torqued CCW by your makeshift 'starter'. Just make sure to take out the intermediate starter reduction gear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No... but instead, I'd consider using a socket on a cordless drill on the flywheel bolt? At 110 ft lbs it's not going to come off from being torqued CCW by your 'starter'. Just make sure to take out the intermediate starter reduction gear.
I was thinking about that but I dont know what kind of compression I'm running on this thing. I just built it and its my first raptor. It didn't run when I got it, it had a broke valve in the cylinder, somehow didn't hurt the cylinder I just honed it out and machined the head. Id think its got pretty good compression with how I've got it built though. But is there a compression release lever? Since its electric start only i wouldn't expect it to have one. I've got a dome top piston in it...I think I dont know if this would be considered a dome top or not, knarly looking though and skirtless.
stage 2 hotcam. Kibblewhite black diamond valves and valve springs (2 piece springs)

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
There is an automatic compression release mechanism on the camshaft. That is a high compression piston, how much I don’t know. You can try to start it by the flywheel nut, but it takes a bunch to start these.
I know my engines are much higher compression than your setup, but they will stall out my remote starter designed to be used in this exact fashion. It uses a Toyota pickup starter and a 32cell lithium battery. Literally have to crank engine past tdc with a wrench before I can use the starter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is an automatic compression release mechanism on the camshaft. That is a high compression piston, how much I don’t know. You can try to start it by the flywheel nut, but it takes a bunch to start these.
I know my engines are much higher compression than your setup, but they will stall out my remote starter designed to be used in this exact fashion. It uses a Toyota pickup starter and a 32cell lithium battery. Literally have to crank engine past tdc with a wrench before I can use the starter.
Okay so I ordered a one way bearing and it looks too big. I got to looking and there's a difference between the 03 model and the 04 model. My raptor is at my buddy's shop and I won't get to it until this weekend, i work 10 hour shifts and go to college. would an 04 model one-way still work on an 03 just in case mine is an 03? I haven't been able to actually check what model I have, the guy I got it from said 04 so everything I ordered for it internally and built it with is 04 parts, and I got it to run last night for the first time since I've had it, and put the stage 2 kit in it. But if its an 03, would that change anything? According to the blueprints on babbits the one-way is different. Meaning the starter gear is different? Bigger inside diameter of the bearing it looks like. But I'm not too sure I haven't really been able to look since...you know...its been welded together.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Check the vin# for the year.
The 10th digit is the year, and represented by a letter.
A, 2001
B, 2002
C, 2003
D, 2004
E, 2005

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
04-05 has a larger flywheel and one-way... it was an attempt by Yamaha to increase the proven poor reliability of the OE one-way. As Six says above, check your VIN to verify your model year.

However, some owners did retro-fit the smaller flywheel/one-way into their 04-05s as a way to lighten the rotating mass and increase acceleration. If yours IS an 04, perhaps the previous owner did this? You can always get the larger flywheel too, if you would prefer, to go with the larger one-way... or trade the one-way you got for the smaller 01-03 unit.

As far as I recall, this is the only difference between an 02-03 and the 04-05 series engines... the 01 has several more differences, all in the transmission.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts