Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the day started good and ended really bad. I was riding over in VA at Tasker Gap and was having a kick ass time. When i came out of the corner and shifted from 2nd to 3rd and the whole rear end locked up. WTF well i rolled over to the side and checked things out. I tried to shift into N and the light turned green. I tried to start it when i lunged forward. Shifted up and down nothing. Then i noticed there was oil leaking. FU$K not good. Flipped it up on its grab bar and long behold there was a dent in my PLASTIC skid plate. Pulled it back and there was a 3-4 inch crack on the bottom of the crank case on both side. The only thing I can think of is that i jumped my quad and landed on a BFR (big fucking rock). GRRRRR! Good side to this the motor starts didnt lock up.
Question is will Yamaha cover this under warranty. If not I NEED some help. I would like to find a new/used motor then rebuild my old broke ass motor. Then put it on ebay and get some of my money back. THANKS any tips, tricks, ideas or hell donations will help thanks again DAVID

PS will post pics in the morning.
:( :(

·
Registered
219 Posts
First thing I did was throw away that plastic skid plate... This is a tough lesson to learn, but if you're going to ride around any rocks... body armor for the quad should be the first priority when it comes to aftermarket goodies.

No way will this be covered by warranty. That'd be like buying a new car, hitting a telephone pole, and asking for a new front end... You're just going to have to get it fixed when the funds allow for it. I did see a new 700R motor on ebay this past week. Some guy was stuffing an R1 motor into his 700R frame... You might be able to buy that, and then part out the good parts left on your motor....

·
Registered
316 Posts
The first thing anyone who owns a raptor 700r should buy should be a full strong aftermarket skid plate!!!Before anything else.The stock plastic one is a joke and the first thing you hit it with will break it.I think yamaha should have something better on there for 7 grand.Ridiculas.Sorry about the damage,that sucks bigtime.Next time you will know what to have on there though.I got the gytr full skid and it does its job.There are a few out there to choose from.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
.....yeah, that guy with the r-1 motor in his 700 frame is broguht up on this site. He was suppose to be selling his stock 700 motor. I would try to get my hands on it if I were you, and then get yourself a $100 aluminum skid so next time it doesnt cost several thousand in damage!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
sorry to hear that happened! :(

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
The stock skids are a joke, I rode with the stock ones 1 time and the swing-arm skid had grooves in it from the brake rotor. I really didnt even ride that hard that day, so i ordered a swing-arm skid and a chassis skid when I got home.

Sorry about your damage, that kinda stuff can really make you :mad:

·
GO BLUE!!!
641 Posts
Whats the best one out for the 700, I need to order one ASAP

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damage mate.... Hopefully it doesn't cost you too much to get yourself out riding again. Sounds like it was a good thing i put skids on recently..... Best of luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
just find any good 0.190" thick skid plate at least... armadillo is probably the cheapest and pro armor makes really good stuff... the only difference in my opinion is the appearance... the more you spend the more decorative the skids will be. I chose to go with Armadillo for my frame and swingarm skid and pro armor for my nerfs, grill guard, bumper and a-arm skids.

Pretty much all skids are 0.190" thick except swing-arm skids are usually 0.250" thick... so go from there.

Rock

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i talked to the guy whos selling the engine on ebay. Well he wants 2750 for it. Thats a little high for me. The crankcase is only $450-550 and gasket, oil and all the other BS shuff should round up to around 800. GRRRRRRRRR anyways thanks to all who gave there two cents. DAVID

·
GO BLUE!!!
641 Posts
Goodluck on getting it fixed man :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
that sucks, I made them throw in full armor w/ the deal at the dealer befroe i even left, looked under it and seen that one coming. Saw a motor on ebay wasnt cheap though think it went over 1k$

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I installed my skidplate, the same day I hit a BFR, the triangle and the chassis

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just ordered my parts today. DAMN it my pockets are empty now. Just under 600 dollars for all the parts; crankcase, crankcase gaskets and lubes. GRRRR Im hoping to be back on the trails by the end of the month. Thanks guys for all your help. DAVID

·
Registered
657 Posts
You re-doing it yourself? If so, it will dsave you a ton of money in dealer labor. Its not that bad. Just read and pay attention the directions. Having the proper tools makes it alot easier too. I was using a steering wheel puller for the stator one time. Well, I broke the threaded shaft on the puller and the stator still would not come off. I was sitting there puzzled looking at the motor when I suddenly dropped my ratchet. It landed on the stator housing. Then all of a sudden there was a loud snap!! It came right off. The point is, the right tools would have not let that happen.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well im not totally doing it myself. I have a buddy who knows all that stuff about small engines. Yeah i talked to the yamaha dealer and you wouldnt believe how much they wanted to charge me. 2700 without parts. Yeah no shit. I told them to kiss my ass. My buddy is gonna help me and only gonna charge me 400. He said it should take around 8 hrs or so to tear it down and put it back together. If there no problems i will be back on the trail in no time. thank god... Thanks DAIVD

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crankcase :( replaced the A arm guards and the swingarm when I purchased the machine, didn't think about the chassis skid :eek: will get one today!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Best of luck. Just remember to pay attention and dont rush it. Everything comes apart very easy. Its just time comsuming.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts