Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my '07 Raptor 700R today. It's a hell of a lot faster than my 450 King Quad...

I'm pissed though. I guess the guy set something up with a buddy and bought my 450 King Quad, but had his buddy pick it up, pretending he's buying it and has turned around and is trying to sell it for 1200$ more than I sold it to the guy for. I wish there was something I could do, but there really isn't... I wouldn't care so much, because it's an easy way to make a profit, but he's lying about it! It had a new speedometer put in it, because the old one went out, it was defective and was replaced under warranty (and I told him that, as well as the true mileage. He's claiming it only has 400 KMs and 45 hours, but really it has almost 2000 KMs and a lot more hours than that. I feel bad for whoever gets ripped off by him.

Back on topic! The Raptor on the other hand feels very solid! (Other than the obnoxious Monster stickers...) It only has one bushing that seems as if it needs replacing, everything else seems like it's in good condition. The oil is kind of old, but I'll be changing that atleast once tomorrow. Is there ANY possible way to check the mileage/hours on one of these? I'm kind of concerned about it now that I'm realizing what he's doing with my quad.

Is there ANY way to make these things quieter? Are duals quieter than singles? It has a pro-circuit t4 muffler on it and its LOUD.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Congrats on the buy. i think it's a good choice.

sounds like you were a little quick on the sale of your King Quad, if he has room for $1200 in profit. He worked you over a little bit, only if he gets it. How much did you pay for the raptor, if you don't mind. For one like that in my area it would be about $3000, maybe $3500.

as long as the raptor has been taken care of it should be ok. The frame being rubbed off shows it has hours on it, my bike has the less wear by far and i have about 40 hours on it or so. hard to say for sure how many hours though. I am not sure if any factory computer tracks it, but i don't think so.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I paid 5000$ for it, but thats cheaper than most in my area. The king quad isn't worth as much as hes selling it for, thats why I feel bad for whoever buys it from him.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
well if someone is dumb enough to over pay that is their own fault. there are plenty of places to do research.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
congrats bro

·
Registered
331 Posts
5 grand for that seems a little steep! I could get a nice 08-09 with some mods on it around here for that price.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. I'm gonna be changing the oil, cleaning it up, etc after school today. Its missing a bolt for the rear sprocket, and it has a lower toothed front sprocket. I think it's 14 tooth? It's one under stock. Should I buy oil from the yamaha dealership or is there a good oil I can get somewhere else? What about oil filters, and air filters? Can I get a good air filter from the dealership, or should I go somewhere else?

For the record: I'm in Canada. Makes a big difference in what you pay for haha.

I still need to know how to make it quieter haha

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I changed the oil today, the old stuff was pretty much straight black... I bought some fully-synthetic, wet clutch compatible cheapy store brand oil, ran it through, flushed it, then put in some fully-synthetic Yamalube with a fresh oil filter. I have a feeling my neighbors weren't very happy when I started her up though... Took it for a ride in a few circles around my back yard in first gear, parked her. Readjusted and than lubricated the chain, she's in spec now. Then I put some grease in all the bushing, cleaned it, put it away for the night. Tomorrow I'm going to clean her some more, check the air pressure in the tires, I know they're all way too high where the last owner had them. The suspensions seems setup right for me so far.

I'm gonna have to get an aftermarket air-filter and stuff too, but Yamaha has to order them, they don't carry them. Anywhere else I should look?

I'm pretty damn excited to take her on her first ride!

·
Crash Test Pilot
315 Posts
First off, welcome to the club. Second, hit up TQS for a filter before you pay too much from the stealership. He's a site sponsor and a helluva guy. Just wait for the mod bug to hit you, then you can pay too much for all kinda things. lol:D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I already wanna do the Big 3 mod and I haven't even ridden it yet... I think that's because I'm under the impression that Duals are quieter than the T4 Pro-Circuit muffler I have on mine right now... 'Cause the muffler thats on there now is LOUD. I need to find a way to quiet it down...

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
The DMC Force 4 are about 100-102db i think. i think most of the louder singles would be around the same. stock should be in the 92-93 db range or so.

check the packing in the pipe you have now. the packing might just be blown out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I pulled off the muffler and pulled it apart, the packing was half gone, so I'm going to be putting new packing in tomorrow...

·
Registered
892 Posts
Stock, the Raptor is about 87-88db. My Barker's with quiet cores tested at 92.5db by the Forest Service at Florence Oregon.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, after everything I've looked at, I've compiled a list of things that will get done to this quad during my ownership of it.

It'll have the Big 3 mod done sooner or later, black DMC Force 4s, FCI w/box, PCV, White plastics with red hood and gas tank top... (Anyone have some pics of that by the way?)

Alba Racing full Nerf Bars (black), PRM or Pro-Armor Skid-plates, PRM 6-pack grab bar, Victory front bumper (black), and thats about it for now.

Hopefully I'll be able to get everything except the plastics soon. The plastics will be later.

Does anyone know a good place to order OEM style plastics besides TQS? They don't ship plastics to Canada.

·
Registered
219 Posts
sounds like its gna be a nice bike man, u thought about internals? lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I haven't even ridden it yet, and I think it'll have enough power for me for a while... I'm not sure if I really want to mess with the internals, I've always had this feeling in the back of my head that internals make a quad notably less reliable... but I could be crazy. I think it's just past experiences in the mountains when I'm sledding, I've been with a couple guys who had big bore kits, etc on their sleds and they burn down, or just won't run right, and they end up having to be towed home...

Maybe one day my view will change, haha, but until then, I'm going to stick with just an exhaust, intake and fuel controller! :) That should make around 50-55 HP which is more than I'll probably ever need.

·
The Moose Rider
1,644 Posts
For the record. Duals will NOT be quieter. BUT they have a MUCH differnt tone. The tone is much deeper and more mellow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For the record. Duals will NOT be quieter. BUT they have a MUCH differnt tone. The tone is much deeper and more mellow.
I have a feeling I won't be getting near stock levels with anything but the stock pipe anyway, but whatever. From what I've heard, duals have the sound I like and am looking for, so that's what I'm going to upgrade to

1 - 20 of 23 Posts