Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after the sell of my big hot rod Vforce800 I bought the 700 and told everyone I wasn't going into the engine. Well my obsessive compulsive side took over and it's done. My piston and injector will be here tomorrow, wiesco 11.1,Gesick 550 and waitng on a call to pull the cam for a swap,megacycle x1. I'm going to do just a little clean up on the intake and exhaust but thats it. Put in a call to Chapman performace in NC for a dyno tune at the end of the month. I'll keep ya posted on the outcome. I hope it's good. :confused: :3question:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Post your dyno sheet and give us your build sheet and cost if you don't mind. Would be nice to know what this mod does.

Do you have a before dyno sheet?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No to be honest the bike is just barely broke in with just the three mods with a 15t. It runs strong but once you've rode 60 rwhp it's just hard to go back. :confused: No problem when I get done anyone thats interested in a fuel map is welcome to it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Yes, please post a before and after dyno!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Your going to have an awesome quad!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got my piston and injector today from Gesick. This is the best looking wiseco piston Iv'e bought.It's a work of art. :grin_nod: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Good luck, that's pretty much the route I am going to take x1, 11:1 wiseco, P&P, Thinking about bigger valves as well. I have a single exhaust though.

·
Registered
243 Posts
how many hp would you expect to get from going high compression? also what about dependability? do you have to just rebuild the engine more often or anything like that?

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
For a very small amount of money you could have ordered a larger diameter piston and been guaranteed more HP and torque :thumbsup:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes but boreing a raptor cylinder isn't as easy as a steel sleeved cylinder. You have to send it off and get it recoated. I swaped pistons in less then 4hrs. You just gota hone the cylinder lightly to get good ring seat and bamb. Even reused the base gasket because it's metal and you can just put a thin film of good ultra black rtv on and your good to go. It started right away and has better throttle response. Also it starts so much faster now and I'm sure after the cam it will be just what I want. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You don't really gain a big amount of hp from just a high comp or bigger piston it's the combination of more compression and a bigger cam that brings em to life. More compression then stuffing more in the cylinder = oh yea :grin_nod:

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
I agree, the compression, Cam, porting, and bigger bore all come together to compliment each other. It had to be proven to me, and damn it makes more power.

·
Registered
783 Posts
digitalhearing said:
I agree, the compression, Cam, porting, and bigger bore all come together to compliment each other. It had to be proven to me, and damn it makes more power.
Bigger isnt always better... I had an 11:1 JE / Web 3 / springs and a P&P done by RF and it dynoed 62hp. Thats exactly the same as their 734 kit except I beleive my bike revs faster. I put 2-3 bike lengths on my buddy who has the Trinity 734 setup. We raced up compy @ Dumont just a few weeks back... We are of equal riding experience and I am quicker off the line and conitue to pull all the way up.... I have had many combos of motors from 660 with nitrous / a fully worked 686 by Tim Barker to a 720 stroker by Tim as well. I have more then enough arse time on one to know what a good built motor feels like... He was the one to convince me that bigger isnt always better. hHell, he has forgot more about a 4 stroke motor then I will ever know... :grin_nod:

I'll save the bore for a few years down the road if the motor needs to be reworked or refreshed for any reason. Why shoot that bullet now by boring it unnecessarily...

I see you ride Oregon as do I... Another reason I stayed stock bore was because I wanted a fast revving SOB for those NASTY steep tree climbs I love to find at Winchester, Florence and Coos. The ones with little or no launch pad that the Shees and 450s handle so well... This setup does the trick for sure.. :thumbsup:

Not saying that a bigger bore wont produce solid power, just saying solid numbers can be acheived without....

Congrats on your build hammer. You'll love it for sure.... :grin_nod:

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Poundsand, that is very Interesting, I have heard the same comment recently from a guy in Salem. He thought it was not necessary to put a big bore kit in to get the quick horsepower. In fact it wouldn't rev as fast. That's great you are getting 62 hp from your cam, piston, and porting without changing the bore size. One of these days we might have to meet up, run'em and see which quad is faster. I am so glad i went with the stage 3 web cam like you did. The power band seems so broad. Head'n for Coosbay in about 2 hours, never ridden there yet :thumbsup:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I built a Vforce 700 and went bbk with 11.1 800 pitsons and stage two cams. My buddy and I built his 700 with stock bore 11.5 .1 and stage two cams. In a drag it was whoever got the best start. On the dyno there was only like 2.5 hp diff. It's all about volimetric efficentcy. Now mine had just a little more torque because the bigger bore and no porting. more velocity (faster moveing fuel and air)on the botten. But bang for the buck there wasn't a hill of beans diff between em. He had like 800$ in his and I had like 1500$. You can imagine how I felt after we drag raced and I had spent almost double what he had and he could take me with a good start. :confused: :confused: I agree with Poundsand. Sure theres more to had with bigger bore but I'll wait till it needs it too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
783 Posts
digitalhearing said:
Head'n for Coosbay in about 2 hours, never ridden there yet :thumbsup:
I am very jealous!! You will love Coos Bay. Ride along the edges and you will find some sweet tree climbs. Just North of Boxcar are some good ones as well... If you want the good long ride go clear up to Spinreel and hit the rope swing...

My weekend will be spent packing for Sand Mt. next weekend...

I will be in Oregon for Dunefest. Maybe we can run'em then.... :grin_nod:

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
POUNDSAND said:
digitalhearing said:
Bigger isnt always better... I had an 11:1 JE / Web 3 / springs and a P&P done by RF and it dynoed 62hp. Thats exactly the same as their 734 kit except I beleive my bike revs faster. I put 2-3 bike lengths on my buddy who has the Trinity 734 setup. We raced up compy @ Dumont just a few weeks back... We are of equal riding experience and I am quicker off the line and conitue to pull all the way up.... I have had many combos of motors from 660 with nitrous / a fully worked 686 by Tim Barker to a 720 stroker by Tim as well. I have more then enough arse time on one to know what a good built motor feels like... He was the one to convince me that bigger isnt always better. hHell, he has forgot more about a 4 stroke motor then I will ever know... :grin_nod:

I'll save the bore for a few years down the road if the motor needs to be reworked or refreshed for any reason. Why shoot that bullet now by boring it unnecessarily...

I see you ride Oregon as do I... Another reason I stayed stock bore was because I wanted a fast revving SOB for those NASTY steep tree climbs I love to find at Winchester, Florence and Coos. The ones with little or no launch pad that the Shees and 450s handle so well... This setup does the trick for sure.. :thumbsup:

Not saying that a bigger bore wont produce solid power, just saying solid numbers can be acheived without....

Congrats on your build hammer. You'll love it for sure.... :grin_nod:

I use to agree with that theory as well....

I don't know if it's out of the norm but my bored & stroked 780 revs every bit as fast as the stock bores I have seen, I think the cam & porting combo has a ton to do with it and good tuning as well. The throttle response is unreal, it reminds me of the kind of throttle response we got out of our Hilborn injected SB chevy's in the sprint cars.

I'm curious what you had to spend on that 62 HP pete?

I thought I got a pretty good bang for the buck for the 73+ HP and 61+ ft/lb of TQ in duner trim I got, it does anything it could do before, just with a whole bunch more HP & TQ 8)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Dang Randy. . . would you shut-up. . . I'm still waiting for my next bonus check! ;) 8)

How many hours do you have on that beast now?

I dropped my DS engine off at my builders last night. I've got oil leaking out of the exhaust after a cam-spring change. He did replace a couple valve guides so, hopefully that isn't the issue. . . or should I say, hopefully that is the issue. The DS is a 760 and I've got to agree the torque and HP are awesome for duning. I've been beat may many bikes but, I'm a duner so, that's fine with me. Most days at the hill I am in front of all or most of the four-strokes.

As I've mentioned, I think it is time for a change. . . I think I'll go with the +4mm crank, 105 jug and stage one cam with the aggressive porting and possibly 1mm larger valves. I think with this set-up I won't have to change the valve springs or change them and that lack of tear-down requirement is appealing to me. I'm sure with that much power I'll have no problem with most bikes at the hill and can dune all day long. Probably a little less expensive too??? I've done it in stages before. . .first cam, piston, head work, then big bore stroker, then etc. I think it is just a lot easier and less expensive to do it all from the get-go where you think you will want to end-up.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
DuneMe said:
Dang Randy. . . would you shut-up. . . I'm still waiting for my next bonus check! ;) 8)

How many hours do you have on that beast now?

I dropped my DS engine off at my builders last night. I've got oil leaking out of the exhaust after a cam-spring change. He did replace a couple valve guides so, hopefully that isn't the issue. . . or should I say, hopefully that is the issue. The DS is a 760 and I've got to agree the torque and HP are awesome for duning. I've been beat may many bikes but, I'm a duner so, that's fine with me. Most days at the hill I am in front of all or most of the four-strokes.

As I've mentioned, I think it is time for a change. . . I think I'll go with the +4mm crank, 105 jug and stage one cam with the aggressive porting and possibly 1mm larger valves. I think with this set-up I won't have to change the valve springs or change them and that lack of tear-down requirement is appealing to me. I'm sure with that much power I'll have no problem with most bikes at the hill and can dune all day long. Probably a little less expensive too??? I've done it in stages before. . .first cam, piston, head work, then big bore stroker, then etc. I think it is just a lot easier and less expensive to do it all from the get-go where you think you will want to end-up.
Ok, after this I'll shut up ;) :)

I've done it in stages before as well and that is why I decided just to get it all done at once this time, I'm sure I'm money ahead. I'd say I have about 20-25 hrs on it now maybe a little more, it adds up so fast. I'm going out next weekend to play some more, I havn't found any draw backs yet, about the only draw back I can think of is that when I pull the head next winter that I might have to buy some new valve springs if they are out of spec but I won't know till then. I would still be doing the same thing if I was a stock bore with the same top end mods only I would probably decide to send the jug of and have it bored to 105mm and be buying a piston & rings Etc ;) So that's my reasoning on being money ahead. As far as I'm concerned this thing is done other than bolt on stuff that I plan on adding like a play axle and shocks and some bling along the way. I'm going to just ride it and maintain it and have fun. I don't even know if I'm going to change my swingarm out, it's just to much fun with this +4'' and it dunes and trails excellent. Yep I couldn't stand it I have been riding it on the trails and powerlines around the property and having a ball :grin_nod: Just requires a little more clean up when I'm done. I can't believe how smooth and linear the power output is, you wouldn't even know it was a hot rod when your just putting around untill you tap the throttle, that's when it gets real fun :grin_nod:

·
Registered
783 Posts
Hey Randy you mean shocks like these??? I found a deal on a set of Elks and couldnt help myself.. :grin_nod: Now the hunt is on for the rear.. I know what you are saying about doing it all one time.. this is what I wanted and its done as far as the motor is concerned. I've had the Big Bore and the strokers and stuff and this is what I wanted on this build. :thumbsup: As far as what I am into my build.... I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.. :lol: I dont kiss and tell. Lets just say its probably close to you gas bill you had from driving to and fro Mesa. :lol:

I'll PM ya... I'll show you mine if you show me your skind of thing... :grin_nod:

My new Elks...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts