Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to pick up my Raptor from the shop yesterday, I just got a set of Black Motosport Alloy Torks and a set of Holeshot HD's and I had them mount them up for me...I went with 20x11x10 on the rear(they look sick on those rims). Anyways I get there and they bring it around front while I was setting up my ramp. So I go to drive it up the ramp and the front wheels clear the tail gate and then all of the sudden BAM, the left rear tire grabbed on to a little bit of the bedliner that was sticking out and completely ripped it out of place. Needless to say I filled my pants lol. I measured from the outside edge of the left rear to the outside edge of the right rear and it was hair over 47" and I measured the width of the section just past the tailgate and it was 48". So unless I line it up completely dead on straight this little mishap is going to reoccur. And the entire time I was getting ready to drive up the ramp this exact situation was going through my head. :banghead:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Dunno about your situation, but that little a mismatch wouldn't make me drop hundreds/thousands on a trailer.

Either be careful with the lining up, or if the axle/tire width was such that it would _never_ fit in the bed, I'd stop and lift the rear end up onto the bed rails once it was almost in. Again, not sure about your particulars, or what all you load with your quad, but it sounds like a minor hassle that can easily be overcome.

Don't get me wrong; I wouldn't be happy about it either, but I think you'll get used to it soon enough? Or maybe you'll have another set of tires/rims soon where this isn't an issue? Or lose the bedliner? Or figure out a way to make it more tightly attached to the bed?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yep, That and when the rear tires are on the tailgate, Stop and push the quad in the rest of the way!

·
Registered
178 Posts
scott011422 said:
Yep, That and when the rear tires are on the tailgate, Stop and push the quad in the rest of the way!
Or leave the rear tires on the tailgate, and strap her in securely from that position. You can make chock blocks out of 2x4 or 4x4 that will keep it from shifting while travelling.

I made a 3-bike, front tire holder out of a 2x6, for the front bulkhead of the bed. Cost me about $5 total. Looking down at it from the top, it looks kinda like this:

Where the 4 smaller sections of the 2x6 are screwed onto the bed-width sectionof the back 2x6, leaving notches for the front tire(s). I can haul one bike (usually centered, but it'll fit in any of the three to leave room for other stuff) or two using the outer two notches. They sell something similar for around $100 with shipping. Whatever. :3question: :crazy: :eek:

Get creative before dropping "mod-worthy" ca$h. :grin_nod:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
i'd get a spray on bed liner....sell the plastic one in the paper and make back most your $

·
Registered
188 Posts
+1 for a trailer...the last thing I want to do after riding is wrestle around a 400 lbs quad,or wreck my toy loading or un-loading.If you do some shopping you could find a decent utility trailer that would probaly fit your needs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think a trailer is going to be a good investment. It makes life so much easier and plus I'll probably be getting an enclosed trailer so I think I'll make a miny shop on wheels.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I load mine on my truck but it is a pain somtimes. Ive got a trailer also, probably gonna start using it. More room for cooler, tool boxes, etc.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Is your truck something you're going to have five years from now?
Do you think you might want a camper or fifth-wheel within that time frame? What size engine does your truck have? Does it have a tow package?
Would you use a trailer for anything other than hauling quads?

Those are questions I asked myself before buying a trailer.

If you buy a trailer now for the quad you'd be limited to a camper that fits on the bed of the truck. If you plan on towing a fifth wheel you'll have to buy a toy hauler (often in the neighborhood of $30,000 +) or strap the quad down in the bed of the truck - you'd be dealing again with the original issue.

I ended up purchasing a used 13-foot flatbed trailer that was six feet wide. It's a single axle so bounces a bit when empty but having such a light trailer (it can haul two Raptors and a Grizzly) saves me from needing a big block engine for the truck - which reduces the number of pit stops I have to make for fuel on long trips and keeps me close enough to the speed limit over mountain passes (so I don't get flipped off as much). I already had a tow package but did have to buy a drop hitch and a two-inch ball ... more money.

The whole quad thing is a big, money-eating circle that never ends. Good luck on your journey.

·
Registered
494 Posts
What kinda truck do you have?

I bought a Carson fun runner 16ft toybox last December, and never looked back. I can drive the quad up the ramp, sleep, shower and shit in it, fix and eat food without dirt. Being enclosed offers more security from theft plus being self contained. When I come home from the desert, im usually barely functioning, so I can park in front of the house and unload the next day if I like.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i have an extdedcab fleet side s10 and i hual upto 5 sport quads with a snowmobile trailer
put one in the bed and 4 on the trailer
glad i have the vortec 4.3, a freind i ride with has one with a 2.2 and hauling 3 works his truck to hard hehe
the good part about this is i still get about 13mpg when hauling and the other riders (the ones that wont fit in my truck) ride in my neighbors 40+mpg hyundai
we have plenty of room for a day trip to silver lake this way

1 - 11 of 11 Posts