Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it is just over 6 weeks from opening day at Silver Lake Sand Dunes. Is anyone planning on heading that way? I'd like to go but I seem to be losing my riding buddies due money/women/personal issues. Just wondering who has plans for Silver Lake this year so us Raptorforum users can get together.

Actually, any Michigan trail rides could be posted here to give everyone more opportunities to ride.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
There are a few of us looking at an early April ride, we're shooting for opening weekend but that is dependent on a couple of guys getting their builds complete ahead of time. There are a few members around here that make multiple trips up there per year, and we try to post about them before we go to collect and meet up with other members.

I look forward to seeing you up there this year. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
There are a few of us looking at an early April ride, we're shooting for opening weekend but that is dependent on a couple of guys getting their builds complete ahead of time. There are a few members around here that make multiple trips up there per year, and we try to post about them before we go to collect and meet up with other members.

I look forward to seeing you up there this year. :thumbsup:
I'm one of the guys who is hoping to get their build done by the opener, it all depends on when parts show up now.

I'm normally there about once a month, if not more. We normally have at least one thread floating around here with what weekends we are planning on riding, so keep an eye out for one of those.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome. Mad Dog and Langord, where are you both from? I live in Muskegon... about 30-40 minutes south of Silver Lake. I'll keep my eyes open for threads with dates of Silver Lake trips. I met up with one guy two years ago from the forum after seeing posts on here.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Awesome. Mad Dog and Langord, where are you both from? I live in Muskegon... about 30-40 minutes south of Silver Lake. I'll keep my eyes open for threads with dates of Silver Lake trips. I met up with one guy two years ago from the forum after seeing posts on here.
I'm from Monroe (southeast corner of the state), so I have a 3.5-4 hour drive...depending on if I'm pulling the trailer or not.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I always want to hit Silver Lake up. It's dependent on two things for me this year, 1)whether or not the bike is up and running by then, and 2)if the Army lets me get home at all. I'm waiting on the seemingly forever medical discharge... I'm not "supposed" to be riding my Raptor due to spine surgery last May, but I think doctors are overrated. I was on the bike 3 weeks after my surgery, with slightly uncomfortable pain, but it's all about commitment.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to hear about the back injury. Sounds like it is time to upgrade the suspension. Hope they let you home soon. Thanks for serving our country.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I would go to the Silver Lake Raptor Rally, but I cant get there:lol::( I think AtvRacer30 and me, my stepdad and maybe my stepbrother are going sometime in the late spring. Next winter we should have a Bay Rally for people in the thumb.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Opening weekend is in April, and a few of us from the forum plan on going up then but that is not the rally.

We're currently looking at the second half of july or first half of August for timeline.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I plan to make a trip to silverlake this summer and am curious about noise rules and such . Are they dicks about performance pipes or what. Not trying to travel 6hrs from wisconsin to find out i cant ride and get fined.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
I plan to make a trip to silverlake this summer and am curious about noise rules and such . Are they dicks about performance pipes or what. Not trying to travel 6hrs from wisconsin to find out i cant ride and get fined.
mehhh...they don't test everybody, it is completely random at the entrance. I have been going there at least once a month for the past 6 years and have only been tested once. My barkers with no quiet cores hit 98 db, which is over the limit...but they give a little leeway because of meter inaccuracy's. One thing they do check every quad/bike for is a spark arrestor, definitely need one of those.

Once you get on the sand, you won't get tested unless you get stopped for something else (like going the wrong way through the directionals), but that is very rare. The only checkpoint is right at the entrance to the dunes from the parking lot. Once you are on the sand, it is basically a free for all...there are some insanely loud banshees out there on the drag strip, and I have never seen any of them get hassled.

Chances are that you can go right out there and never get tested, but there is still that one small chance that you may get pulled randomly. If they stop you, and you fail the test, you won't get fined...they just wont let you out on the sand. More than likely, you can give it a little time and they will forget about you and you can give it another go at the entrance. But an easy way around that is just to load your quad in the back of your truck and drive your truck out on the sand...I have never seen them sound test a machine that is in the back of a vehicle, but I have seen them stop and look for a spark arrestor.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'll be there opening weekend as long as my riding buddies get their builds done.??? Maybe even if they don't so I can get some fine tuning done and some holeshots practiced. GAME ON...I heard there may be a couple of turbo raptors there looking for races. If they get them done in time.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
I'll be there opening weekend as long as my riding buddies get their builds done.??? Maybe even if they don't so I can get some fine tuning done and some holeshots practiced. GAME ON...I heard there may be a couple of turbo raptors there looking for races. If they get them done in time.
I think I know the two @$$holes that you are talking about, they will probably never get those things put together. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Sorry to hear about the back injury. Sounds like it is time to upgrade the suspension. Hope they let you home soon. Thanks for serving our country.
Ehh, not too much I could have done to prevent the back injury. A few IEDs will do that to ya. No big deal though, I'm in pain 100% of the time, I can't let it keep me from doing at least some of the things I enjoy. It's weird through, riding the bike is a lot less painful than people would think. I am upgrading the suspension (YFZ450s in front, and still looking for what my options are for the rear), but 3 weeks after surgery, even I can admit, it was stupid. I shouldn't have been riding, hell I could barely walk, but I have to learn from my own mistakes...I hope I can get home at least for the rally, even if I have to come back out here for a while afterward. I appreciate the kind words about serving our country. It means a lot to hear them.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Last year they busted my shee at the gate and wouldn't let it in. The bad part is my raptor is twice as loud as my shee but I think the woman was a 2-stroke HATER:mad: Hell I sat on my raptor right by them when they tested it and they didn't say nothing. One of the DNR officers was like"Yeah shes a B**** and good luck dealing with her" but we just waited until they took a break and went in.

I wanna make it to the raptor rally this year. Hope my quad will hold its own to most of the raptor up there but them :turbo1: will be cool to see:D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is the Silver Lake Raptor rally typically a single day or two day event? I'll do my best to make it up there one or both days. It'll be my first Raptor rally.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts