Raptor Forum banner

What all will need to be done for a oversized piston?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Luke2005 
#1 ·
Im thanking of buying a new piston and the bigger ones are about same price as standered bore. What all will need to be done to install a .20 or .40 oversized piston???? I know i will need to have it bore but help me understand this. If i buy oversize piston will i just need to get my engine bored or will i also need a new sleeve and better parts such as valves etc...? Please advise my top end is broke down and ready for new piston.
I am haveing to take my head to machine shop for them to repair stud hole and why i am there I could also have them bore it out. How much labor is involved on boreing it out? half hr 1hr hr and half or 2? How dose the sleave come out? Im new to engines and boreing so help me understand how a bore works.

#2 ·
you will need a bore job. stock sleeve will work unless you want to go bigger than 40 over. shops around here charge around 40 dollars for bore job if motor is already completly disassembled. they will need piston befor the bore. this way the piston is fitted to the sleeve. then they should also hone it. last time i bored a 300ex out it cost me around 200 dollars, piston, gaskets and machine work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.