Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to need to change oil and filter what is a good cheap good filter? I was looking at the alternate oil filter list and was wanting advice on the best ones on ones that people use with no problems. Not sure what oem filter cost or oil but im sure it`s much more exspeniver than the alternate oil and filters. also what type of alternate oil should i use? I have advance autoparts auto zone o`raileys napa car quest pepboys wallmart

·
Registered
348 Posts
Wal-Mart used to carry castrol 20/50 4 stroke M/C oil which should be ok. Napa here actually carries Yamalube, Redline,Torco and a few others. I order mine from Rocky Mtn ATV and its only 3.35 or so a qt. if you buy a case at a time. My filter of choice is HiFlo Filtro from www.throttlefast.net about 25 bucks for 3 shipped. Havent looked for them at a regular auto parts store. Wal-Mart also carries a few oil filters for bikes/quads but not sure if they carry right one for the 660. Stuff should be in the isle that the helmets are in. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey, go to Yamaha Documentation in the same category this post is in and the first post is a link to alternate oil filter #s for raptor 660! Napa and others, man its cool!! has the actual part #s and sometimes a x-ref vehicle! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have not as of yet. Just read thread night before last. Still have a six pack of HiFlo Filtro's to run through. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where did you get your stp filter at? and how long have u used this filter?
I looked at each napa gold filter .. threads are same but height veries there are 3 napagold filters that suposed to work and I thank I will be trying a napagold filter just unsure which size to get. I will take my filter up there to compare in size i assume i should get same size. will a larger filter be any more benfit or disadvantages?

·
Registered
57 Posts
i get it a autozone.

longer oil filter will incease capacity which is always better. the problem is that it has several down sides, 1st is that it can get in your way when pressing the brake pedal if you have big feet, 2nd is that the more it sticks out the more likely something can get caught on it or puncture it. regardless the increase in oil capacity is very minimal and not worth it. if you can find a shorter one then great if not, well then who cares. :grin_nod: just ride

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have ran the bosch 3300 filter and it works fine, but I switched to thr fram tough guard 6607 cause it has the grippy stuff on the end so it is easy to get off. I change my oil and filter a lot since I desert race, with all the heat and hard riding I have too. Anyway I use Castrol GTX 20w50 and have been for about 3 years of race seasons and never had a clutch problem or lubrication problem, unless you count the drain plug coming out then the oil then riding for almost 15 miles at race speeds before a failure occured!! So yeah I am happy with the castrol ;)

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
i use a k&n hp1010 filter (about 2 inches longer than stock) which helps in cooling and i only use amsoil 10w40 for oil. change it aaround 15 hrs or when it starts to get dirty just depends on how hard im riding.
mike

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the fram toughguard tg6607 could anyone debate on how much better a stock yamaha or k&N is over fram tough guard?

·
Registered
240 Posts
all 3 are paper filters so it dont much matter except cost. I switch out filters every other oil change, so it's only on for about 20 hours anyway. At that rate almost any filter will be suffecient.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
i would never use a fram filter for anything. they are a cheap filter with alot of advertising so people think they are a good quality. do your research and you will see that fram is junk. why would you go cheap on the most important thing in your motor, what actually protects the internals.
just a thought
mike

·
Registered
348 Posts
While I agree on the quality of fram filters it should be noted that out of the top 20 filter brands as far as filtering ability the 10+ dollar K&N was dead last. I saw this top 20 list at my local machine shop and it was on the ability to filter out the smallest particles.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im going to get yamalube 10w-30 and forget abount the castrol gtx but im stuck on the filters now. I have fram tough guard tg6007 but i here that some people say there "junk" I was going to take back and get k&n but hair said it is in last so what should i do lol. cant afford the oem. Should I just go with the fram? I plan to change it ever 10 or so hrs so it lasting a long time is`nt a matter for me just performance of filtration. can anyone help me before I put on the fram toughguard? lol im just dead in water on what filter to use.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would just run what you can get. There is not that much difference between 1.5 and 2.5 microns right? I was useing the K&N thing to show that expensive brand is not always best brand. Especially if you are doing oil changes every 10-20 hour should be more than fine. The filter is most important during breakin to keep metal and fiber stuff out of engine as parts wear in. You are obviously beyond the breakin point. Oil filter is still important because it does filter out dirt,debris over the entire life of engine. Also remember Yamaha recommends in the owners manual to change every 160 hours or 6 months so you are way ahead at 10-20 hours. The only time the lower quality filters will make a real difference is when they start to plug they will then start to let stuff through, you will never come close to plugging a filter at your change intervals. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Make SURE you do NOT use a filter with that slick 50 or teflon additive it WILL mess with clutch performance!!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im going to use the fram toughguard for now. Is it ok to use old oil to coat the filter seal or must it be new oil? I havent goton my oil yet and I wanted to go ahead and change oil filter before i go to town to get the oil.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I usually do just because I dont like stcking my finger into new oil. Its just to keep the rubber gasket from sticking as you tighten it and give a better seal. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts