Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in southern new mexico and have a few friends with banshees and yamaha 450s what are the hands down best upgrades for my 2004 raptor 660 and i have enough money to spend to be able to beat a 450 or banshee

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hears a list for you
full exhaust
jet kit
good air filter like k&n

get high compression piston.. wiseco / je looking at about 120-150 shiped
get hotcam stage 1 for around 120shiped or
get the stage 2 for 120 but you will have to buy better springs for extra 110 bucks.
You could get a hotcrank for 250-350bucks
you said without bore but a bore is not to costly you can find good shop to charge you 50-90 for a bore and hone and all you will need is oversized piston which cost about same as standered bore
other than bore you could get trinity to do a port and polish on the valevs and go to a bigger size.
or you could buy aftermarket valves for around 110-130.
dont forget your shocks try find used yfz450 fronts are buy some good fronts and get your rear rebuilt/revalved. also if you can spend money on better a-arms swingarm, steering stem, tierods that be nice. dont forget sprokets as that can play big role on accelration/top speed.

I have not listed everythang just thangs on top my head. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
240 Posts
come over to my site and we can hook you up! We are all from new mexico. do you race the NMDRC series?

http://wideopenracing.easyphpbb.com/index.php

but as a quick answer, you need a lot of power so you can gear it up to hang with them top end. Get some 22's for the rear as well, and then throw a 12 tooth on the front you will have a larger contact patch and better traction but you will need more power to pull them.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if i do decide to bore what is the best and most reliable and if i go to 686 can i run a hotcams stage 3 and what type of horsepower will i see from these upgrades?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
pewterpecker said:
What's a hot crank? A stroker crank?
I think he means the hotrods cranks, which are availible in stock stroke for use with standard pistons and the stroker crank (+4mm) which need to be used with specially designed cp pistons availible in a kit or elsewhere and I believe there is also a way to run them with std pistons but I'm not sure what it entails.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Got off phone with trinity too for ever to contact them repeatly busy line and no e-mail replys. I talked about the port and polish and it was out of my price range but am considering sending them my cylender to be bore and honed out roughly 50bucks for the bore/hone and what ever shiping is back to you. I Thank I will be saveing the extra bucks to have someone i know i can trust to do a fine bore/hone job like trinity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts