Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought Yfz450 front shocks for my Raptor 660, and the springs are powdercoated, and I want to keep them clean and looking good. I know from experience that the cheap nylon shock covers will rub paint off of the spring, so I want some neoprene ones, or others that don't harm the shock, and it doesn't seem like there is a very good selection of shock covers. So if any of you have had the same problem and found better ones, please let me know. Thanks
Cascade

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
i think i read somewhere on here that covers keep the shocks from being able to expell heat. dont hold me to that though, it was a long time ago when i read it. if im not mistaken it was mad dog that posted that. i apologize if im wrong MD. i personally dont like the look of shock covers but thats probably just me

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think i read somewhere on here that covers keep the shocks from being able to expell heat. dont hold me to that though, it was a long time ago when i read it. if im not mistaken it was mad dog that posted that. i apologize if im wrong MD. i personally dont like the look of shock covers but thats probably just me
Hmm I've never heard that interesting.. I agree on the looks, I would like to run bare shocks but they are like new and shocks are so hard to get clean, and sand will find it's way into anything. Do you ride dunes? How do you get your shocks clean?

·
Breathe my dust !
1,377 Posts
I really like the shockpros. They protect alot better than the outerwears... and you can even get them for long travel shocks :)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really like the shockpros. They protect alot better than the outerwears... and you can even get them for long travel shocks :)
Thanks, I checked them out they look good do you know what material they use? Do they rub the paint off of the spring? Their Guardz thing looks interesting from what I can see you can get it for any shock.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
A lot of guys in the sand won't run them because they tend to hold sand IN and around the shock, rather than really keeping it out. Like you said - sand will find it's way into most anything, including inside your shock covers.

However, if I was going to run any shock covers it would be DirtSkins, hands down ! They use neoprene instead of that vinyl kind of stuff, and should be much more durable I'd think as well.

Link: http://www.dirtskins.com/

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Yeah I understand you wantin to keep them lookin new. I'm the same way. I've never rode the dunes. Don't even know where the closest one is :lol:

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A lot of guys in the sand won't run them because they tend to hold sand IN and around the shock, rather than really keeping it out. Like you said - sand will find it's way into most anything, including inside your shock covers.

However, if I was going to run any shock covers it would be DirtSkins, hands down ! They use neoprene instead of that vinyl kind of stuff, and should be much more durable I'd think as well.

Link: http://www.dirtskins.com/
Nice neoprene was what I was looking for, that cheap stuff sucks! Those look nice I think I will get a front pair for dirt at least, Idk what I'll do about sand ??? I guess the dry stuff comes off pretty easy, and I like the look of just the shock, does taking an air compressor to it work good to get sand out?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I understand you wantin to keep them lookin new. I'm the same way. I've never rode the dunes. Don't even know where the closest one is :lol:
Yeah I'll have a hard time getting it dirty after it's all powdercoated, hopfully it won't just sit in the garage and look good:D Man you are missing out dunning is so addicting and awesome!

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Nice neoprene was what I was looking for, that cheap stuff sucks! Those look nice I think I will get a front pair for dirt at least, Idk what I'll do about sand ??? I guess the dry stuff comes off pretty easy, and I like the look of just the shock, does taking an air compressor to it work good to get sand out?
Not sure, never really honestly worried about it too much as far as getting out whatever may get in. I do use compressed air when I get back from the sand to knock off whatever dry sand will come off before I hose/wash her down.

Nice thing about those dirtskins ones - it's only like $40 for a full set. Not half bad.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure, never really honestly worried about it too much as far as getting out whatever may get in. I do use compressed air when I get back from the sand to knock off whatever dry sand will come off before I hose/wash her down.

Nice thing about those dirtskins ones - it's only like $40 for a full set. Not half bad.
Yea it's a good price. And they have some cool designs too.

·
Breathe my dust !
1,377 Posts
Thanks, I checked them out they look good do you know what material they use? Do they rub the paint off of the spring? Their Guardz thing looks interesting from what I can see you can get it for any shock.
I believe they're nylon but they're pretty thick and didn't rub the paint of my springs (the outerwears did).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts