Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a raptor 660 a month ago and i got some fox float 3 and a new tusk rear axle for it and just need a good pair of a arms. The alba a arms are sold out so any other companys worth buying from? I also got alot of other parts for my raptor:
K&N air filter
Trailtech tachometer
Steering stabilizer
Holeshot tires
Skid plate
Jet kit
Racing cdi
New battery
Renthal 7/8handlebars with new grips and
Handle bar risers

Also my chain just broke and sprockets a bit messed up im gunna need a new one any recommdations on sizes for rear and front sprocket? I mainly drive in trails and like to do jumps and stuff and i wanted to buy a new exhuast and coudnt find a site that ships the monster quad dual exhuast to canada? Anyone know how to get one in canada ? Also let me know if you want update pictures of my quad and let me know if i should get any other parts for it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have Houser A-arms but they run more expensive than alba.
I just checked em out online they seem very expesive around 1000$usd and they also dont make them for my raptor 660, i was looking at the full flight a arms they seem like a good bang for the buck? Have you heard of them or has any of your buddys tried this company?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If you were planning on going Alba you may as well buy pretty much any other Chinese a-arm, because Im pretty sure they just rebrand 99% of their products. That said, Cuervo Racing has a great vid on a-arm styles to stay away from on YouTube. You decide though. I have a set of one of the ones he says are trash and they are, but they work well enough for the frequency/type of riding that bike sees.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
What are the Fox Float shocks set up for?
Stock length A-arms? +2"? +3"?
It Does make a difference.
You do Not want to run a stock A-arm shock(no matter how good it is)on a wider A-arm.
As it's not designed for it, and cannot/will not perform it should.
Also, you shouldn't just bolt fancy shocks on and go. Every adjustable shock(factory remote resivoir or aftermarket) Needs to be set for You the rider's weight(with any gear, as that adds weight).
That's called suspension sag.
All 660/700's came with an adjustable rear shock too, and it's valved in the 150-190lb range, roughly.
If you're not in the weight range, then the shocks Need revalved(and can even benefit if you're in the weight range).
Got a perfect rear sag setting, but the front is off, or vice versa? Then the whole ride suffers, the front and rear directly effect one another.
Is the chain too tight? Then the rear suspension cannot travel it's whole range of motion...and the whole ride suffers.
Suspension is not that difficult to learn, and you'll be amazed at what a difference a correct set-up makes.
Also, stay away from front wheel spacers, as the arms are still the same width, yet the wheels have been pushed out. This causes/increase Bump Steer, which is about what it sounds like, and it will also screw up the handling.
The whole idea is making the shocks work under the machine, while transferring as little motion as possible into the frame, keeping the seat as level and bars as settled as possible.
That is proper suspension sag.
Ideally, you want the machine's suspension to "sag" about 1/3 of it's travel with the rider on it.
The middle 3rd of the suspension being where it does most of it's work.
And the top 3rd is basically the over rev, as in landing a big jump, or hitting a deep pothole on the street.
Proper sag measurement and fine tuning after while riding ensures you get suspension set in the right spot.
Will the stock A-arm Fox Floats work ok on a wider arm? Yes, and definately better than stock pogos(not remote resivoir). But the Fox or factory remote resivoir cannot achieve their potential when set wrong, or put on the wrong width A-arms for their design or set up.
Proper suspension means good handling, and good handling beats more hp anyday. As hp without control is pretty useless.
Sorry to ramble, but too many people don't seem to know or understand the importance of proper suspension sag, or even what it is.
Learn it, and you're riding(street or dirt)will go to another level!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are the Fox Float shocks set up for?
Stock length A-arms? +2"? +3"?
It Does make a difference.
You do Not want to run a stock A-arm shock(no matter how good it is)on a wider A-arm.
As it's not designed for it, and cannot/will not perform it should.
Also, you shouldn't just bolt fancy shocks on and go. Every adjustable shock(factory remote resivoir or aftermarket) Needs to be set for You the rider's weight(with any gear, as that adds weight).
That's called suspension sag.
All 660/700's came with an adjustable rear shock too, and it's valved in the 150-190lb range, roughly.
If you're not in the weight range, then the shocks Need revalved(and can even benefit if you're in the weight range).
Got a perfect rear sag setting, but the front is off, or vice versa? Then the whole ride suffers, the front and rear directly effect one another.
Is the chain too tight? Then the rear suspension cannot travel it's whole range of motion...and the whole ride suffers.
Suspension is not that difficult to learn, and you'll be amazed at what a difference a correct set-up makes.
Also, stay away from front wheel spacers, as the arms are still the same width, yet the wheels have been pushed out. This causes/increase Bump Steer, which is about what it sounds like, and it will also screw up the handling.
The whole idea is making the shocks work under the machine, while transferring as little motion as possible into the frame, keeping the seat as level and bars as settled as possible.
That is proper suspension sag.
Ideally, you want the machine's suspension to "sag" about 1/3 of it's travel with the rider on it.
The middle 3rd of the suspension being where it does most of it's work.
And the top 3rd is basically the over rev, as in landing a big jump, or hitting a deep pothole on the street.
Proper sag measurement and fine tuning after while riding ensures you get suspension set in the right spot.
Will the stock A-arm Fox Floats work ok on a wider arm? Yes, and definately better than stock pogos(not remote resivoir). But the Fox or factory remote resivoir cannot achieve their potential when set wrong, or put on the wrong width A-arms for their design or set up.
Proper suspension means good handling, and good handling beats more hp anyday. As hp without control is pretty useless.
Sorry to ramble, but too many people don't seem to know or understand the importance of proper suspension sag, or even what it is.
Learn it, and you're riding(street or dirt)will go to another level!!!
Hey man i read this a bit late but thanks so much for the help!! Do you have a instagram or something i could dm you for some more help down the line since i dont go on this website alot but will try to now

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you were planning on going Alba you may as well buy pretty much any other Chinese a-arm, because Im pretty sure they just rebrand 99% of their products. That said, Cuervo Racing has a great vid on a-arm styles to stay away from on YouTube. You decide though. I have a set of one of the ones he says are trash and they are, but they work well enough for the frequency/type of riding that bike sees.
I ended up going with fullflight a arms they just got shipped should be here this week !!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey sorry for the late reply i ended up going with the legacy a arms from full flight which cost me a bit over a grand canadian dollars, i coudnt find any other company that had a arms for my raptor rather then chinese ones on ebay that alot of people told me to stay away from, i still know i got ripped off hard for my aarms but you think they will hold better then the alba ones?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Only one way to find out! You’re gonna have to hit the biggest set of whoops possible at the highest speed you can muster and see what happens. If you survive, then you’re good to go.

In all seriousness, most of Alba is rebranded Chinese stuff. It’s hard to say what works and what doesn’t without first hand experience. I have cheap Chinese a arms without a brand name on a quad I bought and I don’t have any issues. The only part that annoys me is the lack of bearings in them and the ridiculous “stiction.” But structurally they are adequate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Only one way to find out! You’re gonna have to hit the biggest set of whoops possible at the highest speed you can muster and see what happens. If you survive, then you’re good to go.

In all seriousness, most of Alba is rebranded Chinese stuff. It’s hard to say what works and what doesn’t without first hand experience. I have cheap Chinese a arms without a brand name on a quad I bought and I don’t have any issues. The only part that annoys me is the lack of bearings in them and the ridiculous “stiction.” But structurally they are adequate.
thanks for the help , also do you have instagram i am making a instagram account for my quad to show it off and its currently still getting work done on it but once its done i would love to post it and tag you and everyone else that helped me with this project , since this is my first big project ive done and also spent more then my car on a atv lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts