Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from a stage one cam and an aftermarket ignition when one becomes available? I'm talking a ballpark figure for hp/tq. I already have a sparks big core, power commander and sparks racing air filter. I'm thinking about going with a stage 1 cam and ignition. 8)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict a 5hp/5ft-lbs increase with that combo (above what you have already, that is). And peak power 500 rpms higher.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks raptorsquid for taking the time to share your prediction. I think I'm going to call one of the major engine builders and see what they tell me. 8)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was told by web cam and others that a stage one cam is a pretty small diff from factory. I think what they really ment was that if your going to do the work why not go to a stage 2 and springs. I feel, if your going to crack her open why not go with the stage two cam springs and piston. Alan from ct racing said that if you put 11:1 piston in there you will still be able to run 92 octane and in his opinion it will still be a semi modest motor for reliability sake...

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
The 11:1 piston swap is dead reliable, wouldnt worry about that at all. The cam swap would be best if you go with something more aggressive than stage 1. IMHO, the stage 1 is for most people that just want to say they have a cam.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It's been reported on this forum by someone who's tried both that the stage 2 made only 2hp more on his bike (don't remember the other mods). It also made a lot of noise and he wasn't happy with it. The stage one also doesn't require heavier springs (stage two does), so you wouldn't be cracking open anything but the cam cover and valve covers. I like the combo of a stock bore (or +1mm) 11:1 piston with mild porting and a stage one cam. It'll be inexpensive, reliable, and run on premium pump gas, plus once we get ignition timing control you can advance or retard the timing to whatever the gas you're running at the time will allow. That setup with dual exhaust would put out plenty of power and wouldn't strand you when you run out of race gas. But the post was asking about stock piston, indicating to me that he (Carolina) doesn't want to crack it open at this point, and stage one cam and the ignition upgrade are the only available ways to get more power (naturally aspirated) after the first 3 mods w/o cracking it open. It's a simple, easy upgrade. A guy can always go further later!

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
My responce was based on piston and cam. I think the stage 1 would be great for stock compression. I know about that thread and I think there is power there on the stage 2, just needs the compression to make it shine. I personally will have my own grind ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm always interested in hearing about your latest upgrade Veloci! All that info is helping put together my own future power package, not exactly the same as yours, but everybody has their own goals. I have no doubt you'll be putting out more power yet!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sorry to jack the thread, but what's that about? The sponsor thing, I mean.

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
Ive been porting for the past 13 years or better and have sponsored an automotive site before(www.ls1tech.com) and have done porting work for people from Belgium to Alaska. Im gonna start doin sleeved cylinders and head porting and will probably have my own grind cam(ordered in of course for stock but will not be a shelf grind of whats already out).

·
Registered
177 Posts
Cool. Look forward to seeing it!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
raptorsquid you and I are on the same page mann. I don't want to crack the motor open just yet seeing as I only have at the max 100hrs on my 700. I'm trying to get the most I can get out of a naturally aspirated motor. I figure those two mods are cheap and should give at least a 3-5 increase in hp/tq. That should put me into the 50+ hp range. I have heard that the stage two along with springs make alot of noise. The valvetrain on our quads stock are loud enough. My 700 as it sits right now runs/beats 450's with motor work. I don't see a need to crack the motor open. 8)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I agree... to a point; point being, you can "save" those mods for later when you get used to the power output, and maybe maybe need at least a re-ring anyway. It's funny: some new guy just posted "got my rappy, it's so damn fast... how can I get more power?"! It's a common situation: "I'm really impressed with the power - I want more!" I don't think there'll ever be enough. I really like the combo of moderate compression with ignition control, though. Ignition advance is much more "forgiving" (of octane deficiency) than compression and can (will) be easily adjustable.

I'd like to see the specs of the stage one compared to stock but I'm going to keep my future build fairly conservative. The other guys can have the bragging rights - I'll have enough to keep me entertained, and do it on premium pump gas and a somewhat quieter exhaust. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
just a note about the stage two being loud. the first stage two from web cam was very loud (valve noise). Then when I went to the sonic grind by ct racing it was great, just a little louder than stock.
It was interesting because when I talked to ct racing about my web cam stage two being loud they didn't know what I was talking about. I found out why after installing their stage 2 cam, NO NOISE...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Good info for those of us in the planning stages LHC! Does Sonic's stage 2 require the stiffer springs? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
When it comes to aftermarket performance cams I always run better springs. The stockers are designed just for that, stock. Its like running a factory header on a ported head, sure it will work but you will not see the full potential ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Are the springs always stiffer or possibly just more able to take the abuse of higher ramp speeds w/o sacking. Doesn't a stiffer spring/aggressive cam profile have more potential for premature wear or is this not an issue at stage 2? (If you know)

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
Well, wear isnt an issue. Our 700s have roller tipped cam followers. Its mainly gettin a spring to handle the lift and RPM, sure this spring has enough clearance to handle that lift but not x amount of RPM.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Right. The valve springs have to be able to keep up with the cam. I thought we had roller rockers (pivots) but not roller ends? I'd be glad to be wrong on that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts