Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the other raptor forum. I had my raptor dyno tuned at trinity racing, and posted the following in their vendor section. What I want to know is what you guys think a disconnected vacuum hose can cause. Like I mention below, went riding in pretty dusty desert for a good 5-6 hours. Im not sure if that hose just provides vacuum for the diaphragm or if it actually sends air into the engine as well.

hey guys, please have james call eddie on tuesday. This is what I found today. Ive gone riding 2 times since having it dyno tuned with you guys after the free dyno day and was going to adjust the valves this morning when I saw this. I called and left a message, didnt catch the guys name though.

Vacuum hose wasnt hooked up to the carb and the black cap looks dented/cracked. I had not touched any of these parts since I got it back and the cap was not brought to my attention unlike my rear brakes, stuck decomp pin and screwed up rocker. The last two were fixed by you guys and they are working fine. Just want to know if you guys can take a look at this and see what can be done. I think a carb cleaning, cap replacement and top end inspection would be reasonable. I mention top end inspection because the carb has been sucking in dust through that inlet where the hose should be...Ive probably done about 5-6hrs of riding out in Ocotillo Wells, so it was plenty dusty and Im worried all that dust might have caused some damage. Please let me know

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
That shouldnt cause any issues with the engine itself but it may cause a dust collection in the top of the carb...................:)

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
willy, you dont think the hose being attached to the intake boot couldve sucked dust into the engine?
There are two sets of vents going to the carbs, one set vents to the open atmosphere and the other to the carb intake boots, if these are attached to the carb intake boots, you have a serious problem, if they are vented to the open and I believe they are coiled at the back of the fuel tank, dont worry about it.
Your pictures are so big that I can only see part of the carbs and must scroll around the picture looking at parts of the carbs at one time, and at the size are very blurry..............

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
This size any better?

Much better, before I could see only the top of the carb filling the whole screen, or parts of the carb.............
Any way I think you have a problem, that vent line goes to the intake and if not sealed can allow dirt into the intake..............

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, its definitely a problem. You can see in the pic how the inlet tube on the carb is dusty. Thwt tells you i didnt take off tue tube and took the pic.....ive been riding w/o it hooked up and got all that dirt on there. These lines dont come off by themselves and I didnt touch a thing after I got the quad back from them. I was having WOT 5th gear issues where it felt like I was running out of gas, but now that I see this thats what was causing my problems probably. Only thing i can do now is wait until tueaday and see what the rep at trinity wants to do.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Yup, its definitely a problem. You can see in the pic how the inlet tube on the carb is dusty. Thwt tells you i didnt take off tue tube and took the pic.....ive been riding w/o it hooked up and got all that dirt on there. These lines dont come off by themselves and I didnt touch a thing after I got the quad back from them. I was having WOT 5th gear issues where it felt like I was running out of gas, but now that I see this thats what was causing my problems probably. Only thing i can do now is wait until tueaday and see what the rep at trinity wants to do.
With those tubes off, you may need to rebuild the top end, new rings and possible piston, the valves will all need to be reground or changed.........does the bike smoke now or burn oil at idle cold..............

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its just one of those hoses that was off the carb....the other one was on there. If thats been disconnected since I got it back, then its got 5-6hrs of riding like that. First ride was 2hrs and oil was right at the middle of the dipstick. I checked the oil before the second ride and it was below the E...touching the last horizontal line of the E. It was 2hrs of HARD desert riding in 95-100F heat. I filled it up to the top of the crosshatch section of the dipstick. I have not checked the oil after this last ride. I did pull the plug and its a real nice brown color....no black soot. Pipe tip doesnt have any excessive black soot either. As soon as I noticed the hose, I called trnity and the dude I talked to advised I not touch it any more and wait till tuesday when the sales rep I dealt with was back from vacation. I just hope I dont get tue old "No warranty/Warranty expired/Wasnt us." These hoses dont come off on their own, if I messed up I wouldnt blame anyone else but myself. But I figured they dyno tuned it, its ready to roll....seems reasonable imo.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Its just one of those hoses that was off the carb....the other one was on there. If thats been disconnected since I got it back, then its got 5-6hrs of riding like that. First ride was 2hrs and oil was right at the middle of the dipstick. I checked the oil before the second ride and it was below the E...touching the last horizontal line of the E. It was 2hrs of HARD desert riding in 95-100F heat. I filled it up to the top of the crosshatch section of the dipstick. I have not checked the oil after this last ride. I did pull the plug and its a real nice brown color....no black soot. Pipe tip doesnt have any excessive black soot either. As soon as I noticed the hose, I called trnity and the dude I talked to advised I not touch it any more and wait till tuesday when the sales rep I dealt with was back from vacation. I just hope I dont get tue old "No warranty/Warranty expired/Wasnt us." These hoses dont come off on their own, if I messed up I wouldnt blame anyone else but myself. But I figured they dyno tuned it, its ready to roll....seems reasonable imo.
I think you should question them on their procedure and if they had the carbs off for rejetting, then they were the last ones to touch those hoses................

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
One thing that can cause this hose to come off is if the engine backfired with the throttle open................and that is a big maybe..........:)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It never backfired, it just wanted to die after a couple minutes of wot 5th gear. Ive had 660s since 03, never had one of those hoses come off...not saying its impossible, but Ive never seen it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
are messaged getting deleted or soemthing? i got notification QM posted and now its gone...lol.

Hose Im talking about isnt just a vent....this this one

the unhooked ends in this pic go to the carb. The hoses are sucking air if Im not mistaken. If im right, they would be sucking dusty air into the engine. Again, only one of those was unhooked, other was fine.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its not the crankcase breather/vent....I put a K&N filter on that and its not the big hose between the carbs either.

I'll get better pics tonight

·
Master of the Electron
15,526 Posts
Yes, they are vents. But, since they're on the filtered side of the air flow, leaving one open is an issue.

Assuming that those vent hoses are still intact at the air filter to carb boot end, and one is unplugged from its carb, it is allowing un-filtered air to enter the combustion chamber through the unplugged end of the small tube, and from there through the air filter to carb boot, then though the carb throat, into the combustion chamber.

It's just like drilling a 1/2 hole through your air filter.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thats exactly what happened for a good 5-6hrs. I talked to trinity, they want me to bring it in tomorrow.

What would you suggest I have them look at?

Compression, carb cleaning, replace the cracked cap on the carb. What else?

I figured that if they put it on the dyno after replacing the cap, and it makes the same HP numbers it did after the tune that I would be ok. Am I correct? Id assume any damage, if any, would reduce hp and thus show up on the dyno.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
thats exactly what happened for a good 5-6hrs. I talked to trinity, they want me to bring it in tomorrow.

What would you suggest I have them look at?

Compression, carb cleaning, replace the cracked cap on the carb. What else?

I figured that if they put it on the dyno after replacing the cap, and it makes the same HP numbers it did after the tune that I would be ok. Am I correct? Id assume any damage, if any, would reduce hp and thus show up on the dyno.
In this case I think a compression test is useless, dirt doesnt always cause the compression to go down enough to notice especially with a decomp mechanism, you would have to know what your compression was before the incident with the decomp unhooked, I would suggest you MAKE them look at the valve seats and valves, any etching on these two surfaces is evidence that dirt has passed through the engine, also look at the bore surfaces and ring surfaces, remove the rings from the piston and see if they are worn by measuring, the ends of the rings at the gaps will wear the most from dirt. I have seen in cases such as your that the ring ends were only about 25% the size as at 180 degress from the rings end ap area.
Look in the intake port itself, any dirt there is proof...........as well as in the carbs bore...............

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IDK if they wrote down my compression #s, but they did do a compression test before the tuning. They noticed it was low, pulled the rocker cover and found a stuck decomp pin and rocker had good amount of wear on it. IF they wrote down the #s, they can compare.

I'll make sure to go over the carb and intake tubes with them before I leave.

Thanks for the input willy

1 - 20 of 41 Posts