Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to replace my chain and front sprocket and was wondering what to get. From looking at multiple threads it seems that the stock chain is a 520x92 and front sprocket is 13t. I would be doing mostly trail riding so should I just stay with the factory setup since my raptor is stock? Also what would be a good midrange chain to get? I see prices ranging from $21 to over $100?

·
Registered
186 Posts
here is a good chain http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...dFamilyId=3591
i bought a chain from the stealer ship and it was $125! never again!! as for sprocket if you buy one i would think most all of them from rockymountainatv.com would be good. i personally would stay away from aluminum sprockets. as your your gearing. i have stock gearing on mine and i mostly ride trails. i also have an 03 with the after market sprokets i know the rear is a 44 i am not sure about the front but i know both have been changed and its not near as torquey. i am thinking about going with a bottom end sprocket on my 01 just to get a little more ass on take off. hope this helps

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
the front is a 13 and the rear is a 40. the 520x92 chain is right. if you go to a 12 it will be quiker but you loose top end.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i will just be honest here. i had an 05 honda trx 450R with a k&n filter and top end sprocket. it would run 82mph. i have never ran a trail at 82mph. nor will i ever lol. my rappy runs 70.6mph i am not scared to loose a few mph. but keep in mind if you want more top end or speed change to a top end sprocket and it will still have plenty of ass to ride trails. you will just get your ass beat on the launch. its one of those you cant have your cake and eat it too!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the quick info. Im thinking of going with a 12t Renthal front sprocket and a Primary Drive RDO O-Ring Chain, do I still get a 92 length or would I get a shorter one?

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
it will ned to be shorter. buy a 100 link one or so and make sure to cut it longer than what you need, ride it, tighten it til your out of adjustment and cut an extra link out. thats what i did and it worked perfect. i think youll need like a 91 or 90 link chain. cant remember what mine was.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.