Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the deal. I have an 06 700 and my best friend has an 06 YFZ. We both put $1,100.00 - $1,200.00 in our quads. I got a full Dr. D exhaust, PClll and K&N intake for about $1,200.00 or so. My buddy got a full ESR exhaust, ESR intake, Web Cams, CDI and cam mod for about the same price "he sure got a lot more stuff than I did for the money". We drag race with a lot of people and we are always the fastest but between he and I he is always faster. We weigh within 10lbs of each other so that's not an issue.

On top end we are pretty much dead even with the fuel curve I like to run. I run the LTE mostly. We drag on blacktop roads and grassy fields/trails mostly so we have really good traction. He yanks at least a quad or more length everytime out of the hole. My 700 just won't rap out like his 450 and if I try to launch like him I will pop up. We switch quads and it's the same thing. His quad is just quicker out of the hole and then as we top out we stay that same distance until he lets off. He can't stretch out long distance like I can but on a normal drag I can't beat him. What mod can I do that isnt too much money? I'm thinking about a 12/1 piston or a cam. I'm just not sure which mod is the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Supposively the cam will yield damn good power....more than the high comp....and you can just go with the stage 1. its only $250....if you did the hihg comp and the cam it would make a good diff.
My yfz had webs in it for awhile, FCR intake, full exhaust, jetting to a nats ass, high comp....pretty much the works while keeping it at 439cc's. It was a hell of a quad....and those cams can really start making a difference on the yfz. Not always peak hp, but hp in other parts of the range....especially depending on the grind.

I race my good friends 05 yfz (so 10cc less) and its all bolt ons. I absolutely wipe him off the map with my setup. We are equal for maybe 15-20 ft coming out of the hole....then I am gone. The 15T really helped out to get the power to the ground and reduce shifting. Also have to do 2nd gear starts....and hopefully you have a good set of tires on there.

My buddy and I are of equal skill and were always neck and neck with our yfz's when mine was just bolt-on. Now with just my mods in my sig I am creaming him with my 700.

I know the 06's are a little stronger...and with cams I can see it making a diff. He definately is more modded then you. I do think with just a cam or just a high comp you can beat him just fine...provided you do have a nice set of knobbies and the 15T would help a lot.

One thing I am curious about is how your buddy got all those parts for that little. The webs are not cheap and having two of them and depending on the grind having to get spring kits and shims....then with the rest of his mods.....just seems like he has put a little more money into it then is leading onto.

Webs x2, full exhaust, intake, cdi......but on the other hand he didnt have to spend $250 for a PCIII..he just spent a few bucks on jets!

Good luck....your quad will more than stomp his if equally modded or setup right...but they are close enough in power that when the yfz has more mods you can get results like you are. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I must agree with boom on this one. If you two were equally modded you wouldn't have any problem beating him. But from what i hear the cam will probably be what you need. But if you wanna spend another $200 bucks through the High Compression piston in there also so you gain more bottem with the piston and more mid and top with the cam. "Best of both worlds"

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Raptor700Ryder said:
I must agree with boom on this one. If you two were equally modded you wouldn't have any problem beating him. But from what i hear the cam will probably be what you need. But if you wanna spend another $200 bucks through the High Compression piston in there also so you gain more bottem with the piston and more mid and top with the cam. "Best of both worlds"

....ha ha.....we agree on almost everything....not just "this one"....haha

Tell him how you had your yfz setup and how it compared to the 700. You even had the 488 in it, so you where probably making a few more ponies and a lot more torque than I was. Did you run cams? I ran the webs gen II and then the crower intake with the stock exhaust cammoded. Made better lowend.
All I know is there is a LOT more build potential and power availability in the 700...and I feel my 700 with a stock motor is as fast as my yfz was....now that I have the 15T on there and I can actually "feel" it. (thanks to Jamie of course)
# wise I am probably making close to the same hp and I am making a lot more tq then my yfz did.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah i had the 478 big bore in my YFZ along with a pipe, cammod, +1000 cdi, and a K&N. And i can honestly say my 700 is faster than my 450. I raced my old YFZ over the summer (a good friend of mine bought it after i traded it in for my Raptor, because it was the fastest thing around where i ride) but he had it geared down a tooth in the front from the stock gearing i had on it. As long as the race wasn't over 50 yards or so we would be close but after that i would pull ahead and never have to worry about him passing me. But even out of the hole and up to the 50 yards it was 50-50 who ever got the better traction. But onced i topped out 3rd and was about to hit 4th it was all over for the YFZ.

Jamie

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
478....thats what I meant.

My 439 had cams/cam modded, gytr 13.1 piston, Fuel customs intake, full WB carbon pro II exhaust (had several others too), jetting spot on with yz needle, lightened flywheel, gytr clutch, gytr cdi (11,250rpm limit) and several other items that contributed to a much lighter weight quad....also did a lot of removing of parts that where not needed.
It was a screamer.....and up until I did the 15T I thought that my yfz "felt" faster. But after doing the 15T it made me realize what kind of machine the 700 is......and with just boltons!!!

Anyway......like I was saying, with your friend having those mods...and if its a good combo and its set up properly I can totally see these results happening.

Just do the cam or the high comp with the 15T and a good set of knobbies and start in second gear and you'll be fine! May still be close coming out of the hole....hard saying....but you will pull away at the shift to third :thumbsup:

This was the garage prior to selling the YFZ............

·
Registered
172 Posts
Looking good boom. Yeah i totally agree that the YFZ will "feel" faster than the 700 when in fact it is not. The reason for this is the YFZ builds RPMS quickly and revs higher and faster. Thus making it "feel" faster. The 700 on the other hand doesn't rev quite as fast and definately dont rev as high, but it is building speed alot faster then the YFZ. So theres why the YFZ will "feel" faster to most people.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:yep I totally agree!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Midnightrider did you say your running the LTE map, because that might be part of the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I like the top end on the LTE and I also like the GYTR map. I wonder why Dr D didnt come out with a map for their exhaust? What would you recommend I run?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I dont know...but I am willing to bet you are running way rich with the LTE map! Try a leading single, with full exhaust...like a HMF map...or try out the WB alum pro full exhaust map.
LTE's and your dr. d are not alike.

·
Registered
268 Posts
you need to use the map that best matches your pipe. if you dont have the LTE's then changeing your map to the LTE map doest do any thing but hurt your preformance.you need the LTE's to get the preformance you want form the LTE map. all the maps are, are electronicle jets you need to run the map that fits your set up or it wont be running right. does that help any?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Ferrari__lover said:
you need to use the map that best matches your pipe. if you dont have the LTE's then changeing your map to the LTE map doest do any thing but hurt your preformance.you need the LTE's to get the preformance you want form the LTE map. all the maps are, are electronicle jets you need to run the map that fits your set up or it wont be running right. does that help any?
Exactly :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts