Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bud just got an ltr450 and he let me ride it. The only thing I really liked about it was its cornering ability. It turns on rails, this is while we were trail riding. Im thinking about going with a durablue lowering kit Front/rear. I think lowering the center of gravity will help but I dont want it too low because we trail ride and I just got my bottoming out fixed(more spring preload). Maybe a shorter sidewall tire? What do you guys think? Im trying to be cost effective here too.

·
Registered
153 Posts
you might try the offset hubs in the rear for stability. Wider A-arms up front are the key. Cost can be a little high, though you can get some lower budget sets for between 350-400 bucks. The LTR450 comes with a wider stance than both yamahas and the honda and is close in seat height. That will mean it corners better off the shelf.

And yes, here on a Raptor forum most people will probably think the 700 is the greatest at everything.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I added wider A Arms, +2, night and day diffrence, quad used to push in the sand now it turns at will.

·
Registered
357 Posts
GRANCUDA said:
You need either a TRX450R or a YRZ450 if you are into cornering. just trying to keep it real but I know every one thinks the Raptor 700 can do anything so get ready

Whats with all the wise cracks from you? I looked at your last few posts and you seem to have something against the 700s. :3question:

The question wasn't "What quad do I need to corner better" I believe it's "what do I need to corner better" meaning on his 700. ::)

If you want to "keep it real" try answering the guys question instead of making cracks.

To answer the orginal question, get a set of +2 arms which the LTR comes with stock. And you could lower your ride height and you will notice a night and day difference. You'll also want to get the shocks setup for the +2 arms which usually means a stronger spring.

·
Registered
87 Posts
"Push" in turning terms means: When the front tires will not dig in to turn, the rear tires push you through the turn, or push you forward causing the turn to be wider, with the +2 Arms, the quad does not "Push" I am able to turn as I will, not as the quad wills, at least in the sand, a much sharper turn. I also lowered the ride height a bit.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
If your still on factory rear tires, ditch those too!

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Chicagoland Atv said:
GRANCUDA said:
You need either a TRX450R or a YRZ450 if you are into cornering. just trying to keep it real but I know every one thinks the Raptor 700 can do anything so get ready

Whats with all the wise cracks from you? I looked at your last few posts and you seem to have something against the 700s. :3question:

The question wasn't "What quad do I need to corner better" I believe it's "what do I need to corner better" meaning on his 700. ::)

If you want to "keep it real" try answering the guys question instead of making cracks.

To answer the orginal question, get a set of +2 arms which the LTR comes with stock. And you could lower your ride height and you will notice a night and day difference. You'll also want to get the shocks setup for the +2 arms which usually means a stronger spring.
i think it's not that he has something against the 700, just sick of all of us talking about how great it is...my buddy with a 660 is the same way! :lol: the 700 may not be the best in the corners,but it's not the worst,
but to answer the topic question, maybe just a set of new tires front/rear, you'll see a big difference in that alone, i wouldn't get axle spacers cuz of potential breakage,alot of people have them and seem to be happy, or a lowering kit if you ride trails for the ride height, i'd get a nice set of Fullflight or wickad +2 a-arms if your on a budget..and then maybe step up on shocks later.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Anyone got pictures of the durablue kit installed? It doesn't seem like they would be very durable under abuse.

Does anyone else make a F/R lowering kit?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all for replies, its not that cornering is what im into. Its just one area on this quad that needs attention. There is no way in hell id buy a 450 unless I was mx, they just dont have enough power for me. Well its either shorter height tires or a lowering kit, or both.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Blownhotrodder said:
Thanks to all for replies, its not that cornering is what im into. Its just one area on this quad that needs attention. There is no way in hell id buy a 450 unless I was mx, they just dont have enough power for me. Well its either shorter height tires or a lowering kit, or both.
i think that'd be a bad way to go, hear me out.
how much for new lower height tires and a lowering kit? are you talking front and rear tires of a quality brand,and front and rear lowering kit?..front and rear lowering kit 175ish after shipping,and new tires lets say 60 a piece,and you have to mount them, plus you might pay more than 60 per tire =240ish, so right there we have 415$! min to have less clearance and flat track better,..lower tires,and a lowering kit, talking a lot less clearance as you know. and you said you trail ride right? i wouldn't want any less clearance as it is,
here is the solution for about 375.00, it says you could use your stock brake lines,but upgrading would make sure you don't over streatch/rip them.. t
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ASR-...734QQitemZ180094742734QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
plus you get to keep your clearance and it will handle better and last longer, lowering that much will make sure you get every penny out of your skid plates, so yeah, i hope this helps your decision :thumbsup:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What about those heim joints? Ive heard alot of riders here say they are junk.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Blownhotrodder said:
What about those heim joints? Ive heard alot of riders here say they are junk.

not sure, we'll need more feed back from people on here, also i think "fullfleight" or "wicked" one said no heim joints? maybe, not sure, but i'm looking for the same as you, better cornering,but i don't want to loose height/clearance...

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Raptorman700 said:
I know when I changed front tires it made a world of diff in corning ability the stock ones suck for cornering just my .02 :thumbsup:
what did you go with bro? i was looking at holeshot's or razr2's.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Chicagoland Atv said:
GRANCUDA said:

I just read his list of posts and I agree with you. He does seem to have something against the Raptor, but if you notice he has a 660 thats had work done to it, but no matter what he has done it still isnt a 700. As we all know they are completely different. He just doesnt seen to know that!

·
Registered
994 Posts
I just read his list of posts and I agree with you. He does seem to have something against the Raptor, but if you notice he has a 660 thats had work done to it, but no matter what he has done it still isnt a 700. As we all know they are completely different. He just doesnt seen to know that![\i]

Take a chill pill.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.