Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Ill now be a new owner of a raptor in about 9 months (slowly getting the money)

I live about 2 hours away from everything dammit!

Now im wondering what i might need to stock up on regarding regular maintenance and liquids: Has to last a good year or 6 months because i hate running around for stuff...

Oil Filters -not sure what kind - something that last long and is good really good
Oil -not sure what kind
Chain lube -not sure what kind
Chain cleaner -not sure what kind
Grease -not sure what kind
Cooling liquid -not sure what kind
Brake oil -not sure what kind
WD-40 or another kind of cable lube?

Cleaning i thing dish soap will do the trick and my power washer

Now tool wise:

Chain breaker
Torque wrench for that oil plug that seems to be stripping out if you apply to much force.
Cable lubing tool
usual wrenches - i already have a good set of metric and non-metric already

Am i missing something here.

Please let me know if i am

Ill be doing oil changes every 6 to 10 hours.

Ill baby that quad but i will be riding it hard at times.

I live in Canada in the province of Québec just to let you know some stuff or brands i might or might not be able to get around here.

you can add the single price of one item also seeing the Canadian dollar is really close to the American dollar. So it can give me a chance to order it by the cases or by half a case it would give me a ruff idea.

Thank you for your time it is appreciated. :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
I use the Yamaha oil filters since I change them every three to four day long rides and i use Royal purple synthetic after it was broken in. Don't worry about a torque wrench just buy a bunch of crushable washers and don't wrench the plug in and you will be fine. I have had the best luck with maxima products for cleaning the chain and lubing it. If you don't like doing a lot of cleaning use and anti-fling lube for sure. I run a lot of hot weather riding so I stick with Engine Ice. Even if you aren't in the hotter desert weather $20 for a little better cooling isn't going to hurt anything. Any sort of grease will work good and any sort of soap with a rag and pressure washer will do fine.... A little secret of mine is using lemon scented pledge after it's dry. It helps for keeping the static down and makes it easier for clean up after I go riding.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Here are my recommendations based on my experience:

Hi everyone,

Oil Filters -not sure what kind - something that last long and is good really good: Stainless steel reusable filters, FLO filters or the like, they are supposed to be better than paper ones.
Oil -not sure what kind: If you want the best then Mobil 1 full synthetic or Amsoil
Chain lube -not sure what kind: I use Motul or Bel Ray, great stuff
Chain cleaner -not sure what kind: Get kerosene, cheap and is recommended by chain manufacturers as they do not dry the oil rings.
Grease -not sure what kind: Any lithium soap base grease, water resistant (marine grade)
Cooling liquid -not sure what kind: Engine Ice
Brake oil -not sure what kind: No idea!!!
WD-40 or another kind of cable lube? Bel ray 6 in one lube is pretty good

Cleaning i thing dish soap will do the trick and my power washer: I use Simple green and a pressure washer

Now tool wise:

Chain breaker
Torque wrench for that oil plug that seems to be stripping out if you apply to much force.
Cable lubing tool
:D
Dont forget the grease gun for the grease zerks

·
Modding Maniac
3,052 Posts
Hi everyone,

Oil Filters -K&N Filters are good. You can get them from an Auto Store if you get the part number. I think its KN145
Oil -Mobil 1 4T Full Synthetic 10-40 is a good oil or even Amsoil
Chain lube - Maxima
Chain cleaner - Kerosene
Grease - Any lithium soap base grease, water resistant
Cooling liquid - Engine Ice
Brake oil - Not sure.I just whatever is on the shelve...:D
Cable Oil - Look into the Streamline extended Throttle and Clutch Cable - They make a world of difference over the stock cables. Motion Pro sells a great lube and a tool to help you lube these cables

I clean my baby with Simple Green concentrate and water mixed. After she is dry spray her down with SC1. That will make your cleaning easier next go around and makes your plastics look nice and clean. I also use WD-40 around the engine to break up dirt and mud. Also helps protect from rust and makes cleaning easier.

:D
No need for a Torque wrench. I used a TQ wrench at the right setting and that's what snapped mine. Just be careful not to over tighten. Another good thing to stock up on is the Spark Plugs, O-rings, seals, and crush washers. You never know. I also have a clear tackle box with some odds and ends bolts used just in case.

Hope this helps you bro. I just filled in after your questions.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Super info guy's thanx alot.

You dont know how much this is appreciated.

Thanx a million now all i need to get is a good atv lift.

Im going to stock up and make sure everything is ready when the rappy gets in, then it will take care of me as much as i can take care of it.

Cant wait anyway im getting a couple of magazine subscriptions today see what are the two good ones im going to apply for... Lol im going to get the mod bug before it even gets here dammit LOL

·
Modding Maniac
3,052 Posts
Super info guy's thanx alot.

You dont know how much this is appreciated.

Thanx a million now all i need to get is a good atv lift.

Im going to stock up and make sure everything is ready when the rappy gets in, then it will take care of me as much as i can take care of it.

Cant wait anyway im getting a couple of magazine subscriptions today see what are the two good ones im going to apply for... Lol im going to get the mod bug before it even gets here dammit LOL
From what I have been reading, the best Quad lift is a Craftsman. They have 2 different ones; a red one and a yellow one. The yellow one seems like the way to go. I believe its $199 and have had the best reviews.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I have found that alot of the people that have had issues stripping the oil plug are using the old crush washer, you need to replace the crush washer every time you change the oil and you should not have a problem, the washers are cheap.

·
Modding Maniac
3,052 Posts
I have found that alot of the people that have had issues stripping the oil plug are using the old crush washer, you need to replace the crush washer every time you change the oil and you should not have a problem, the washers are cheap.
+1....another thing you might want to look into is a magnetic drain plug. Just a little added protection will go along way.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hadent tought of that one these should come on every atv out there. ill get one and crush washers whatever they are, ill look it up anyway...

Thanx alot guy's

i found an atv lift in Canadian Tire for 69.99 padded with rubber seems pretty decent its on special all week. Or i might build myself one that will lift as high as i want to. Well it would be impossible to knock it over and impossible to fall of or even if it looses oil would still be safe im actually designing it for myself with duct tape lol if it can hold up the world it can hold up a rappy LOL

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Oil Filters - 4.50$ CND at ADM sports, they ship to you BTW
Oil - 20w50 summer, 5w30 winter, I use Castrol GTX myself
Chain lube - Castrol here too, the can is like 5$ at Canadian Tire
Chain cleaner - I just oil mine, didn't know you had to clean it?
Grease - w/e
Cooling liquid - pure prestone (not pre-mixed)
Brake oil - DOT4 w/e brand
WD-40 or another kind of cable lube? - Never had to use it but I don't think WD40 would be the best choice. WD40 is not a lube.

Cleaning i thing dish soap will do the trick and my power washer - Watch the radiator with that thing...

See my replies in bold.....

As for changing the oil every 6-10 hours this is IMHO overkill, 20 hours is more than good enough... But to each his own, lots of guys on here are a bit paranoid about that.

As far as tools go, you'll need a big allen for the oil change but I don't remember the size. Others will chime in.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanx qcRaptor.

Thats some great info...

·
Registered
1 Posts
help me out here

okay i have a yamaha raptor 700 and we were riding lastnight and after a lil bit of riding it idled down and it made a loud backfire noice and died, now i cant get it started its makin a ticking noise at the cylodend by the battery and wont turn over. oil has no mettle savings in it, full of water and gas wha could it be. ? plzz help

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You got me there ? No idea. I wish i could help you out. but this isent general discussion try in there with the header Backfired, dead and wont start HELP !!!! please

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
okay i have a yamaha raptor 700 and we were riding lastnight and after a lil bit of riding it idled down and it made a loud backfire noice and died, now i cant get it started its makin a ticking noise at the cylodend by the battery and wont turn over. oil has no mettle savings in it, full of water and gas wha could it be. ? plzz help
Totally off-topic, but if the solenoid is ticking and the engine is not turning, that is usually caused by lack of amps @ the starter.. So check wires going to starter and check battery. Could also be a seized motor I guess?

·
Registered
638 Posts
+111

Hi everyone,

Ill now be a new owner of a raptor in about 9 months (slowly getting the money)

I live about 2 hours away from everything dammit!

Now im wondering what i might need to stock up on regarding regular maintenance and liquids: Has to last a good year or 6 months because i hate running around for stuff...

Oil Filters -not sure what kind - something that last long and is good really good
Oil -not sure what kind Amsoil 10w-40 motorcycle oil (make sure it is the motorcycle version for wet clutch applications. Takes roughly 2 quarts to fill your bike
Chain lube -not sure what kind Maxima Chain Wax- 2 coats, let it dry between coats. Stays on great, repels dirt and water well and doesn't fly off onto your fenders
Chain cleaner -not sure what kind Not really necessary, just knock the dirt off with a hose and chain wax it. You don't really want to clean it and dry it out
Grease -not sure what kind High pressure grease is good. I use amsoil grease for large equipment. You are greasing the rear end with bearings so it is probably a good idea to use one that works well with bearings. Lucas oil makes one that works well too
Cooling liquid -not sure what kind Engine Ice www.engineice.com
Brake oil -not sure what kind Whatever the dealership has as long as it is the same DOT rating as what is in the bike
WD-40 or another kind of cable lube?Buy actual cable lube, don't use general lube and especially not that shitty WD-40. You can find cable lube at any home depot, lowes, etc.

Cleaning i thing dish soap will do the trick and my power washer

Now tool wise:

Chain breaker
Cable lubing tool

Spark plug socket, much better then the one that comes in the tool kit. You are goo on everything else
Am i missing something here.

Please let me know if i am

Ill baby that quad but i will be riding it hard at times.

I live in Canada in the province of Québec just to let you know some stuff or brands i might or might not be able to get around here.

you can add the single price of one item also seeing the Canadian dollar is really close to the American dollar. So it can give me a chance to order it by the cases or by half a case it would give me a ruff idea.

Thank you for your time it is appreciated. :D
Here you go

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thank you JDU700R.

Some good info there also.

I want to thank everyone that suplied their 2 cents its really appreciated.

Now its time to stock up.

I dident buy the lift from crapy tire that was on special someone gave me two brand new plastic milk crates and they are black my fav color lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts