Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow. My original "What do you carry?" thread has almost 1300 views, an indication that many of us are looking for what/how information as to what to take on trips.

This time lets discuss what to take as far as tools, extra spark plugs, etc. I want to put together a pit box of sorts - a toolbox o'goodies to help ensure that a weekend of riding isn't ruined by something "easy" that could of been fixed had I been better prepared.

Things I'm guessing would be good are:

• extra spark plug for each quad
  • tire repair kit
  • Allen wrench set (metric)
  • socket set (metric)
  • duct tape
  • extra fuses (20A, 15A, 10A)

What else?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Sounds like good 1st aid for the bike, what about you? Does your tire kit include CO2 for filling the tires? Oh yeah and little tow strap, if all else fails.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sontag_Slim said:
Cell phone! .....LOL
If I take the right tools I should be able to make the repairs necessary. Anything requiring major repairs would likely be a trip ender anyway.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SandDragon said:
Sounds like good 1st aid for the bike, what about you? Does your tire kit include CO2 for filling the tires? Oh yeah and little tow strap, if all else fails.
Nope. I just use a bicycle tire pump back at the truck. The first aid kit would be carried with me on the trail, as would the tow strap.

I thought "pit box" would be specific enough. I'll clarify: 'm looking to put together a box of stuff that would stay at camp, that would let me make whatever minor repairs were necessary. Basically I want to do what I can to make sure that driving a couple of hours to get to riding areas isn't ruined because of something minor happening to the quad.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I would say antifreeze, a quart of oil, an extra chain link a battery booster (to start the bike in case the battery fails, if no car at camp).

·
Registered
314 Posts
ummm...yeah....

anyway, good idea Headrope, in addition to that list i would have to say the strongest plastic zip ties you can find. and a couple of extra skid plate bolts wouldnt hurt either. the other day i pulled mine out of moth balls and took it for a spin, tapped the swing arm skid and found that it was about ready to come off. i even used locktite.

that got me thinking that it might be a wise idea to toss a couple extras in the box just in case. how much space does a bolt or two take up anyway?

i also toss good size straight screw driver and a small pair of chanel locks in there as well, never know when you might have to pry something out, or bend something back :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Soory Headrope, guess I didn't see the "pit" part. I think you'd be safe without ::) most of this stuff. :lol: I'm going on the premise of a one day ride. I bring gas can, oil, end wrenches and sockets, allens, pliers, vice grips, screw drivers, rags, carb cleaner, duct tape, zip ties, and metric bolts I have laying around. I also have a small hacksaw. I used to bring a toolbox. It seemed water resistant, but after getting rained out, everthing was soaked!! This year I'm going to try a kitty litter bucket (27 lb Tidy Cats to be specific). The bucket doubles as a nice quad stand for changing into sand tires, leave the 2 ton floor jack in the garage. :lol: I bring two cycle oil & carb cleaner, cause my wife rides her Blaster with me. Last year one of my buddies got sand in his intake, he had to go buy some c.c. and tear the carb apart, talk about a buzz kill! Hope something here helps :) P.S. I don't think our chains have master links anyway, so links ain't gonna help.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SandDragon said:
Soory Headrope, guess I didn't see the "pit" part. I think you'd be safe without ::) most of this stuff. :lol: I'm going on the premise of a one day ride. I bring gas can, oil, end wrenches and sockets, allens, pliers, vice grips, screw drivers, rags, carb cleaner, duct tape, zip ties, and metric bolts I have laying around. I also have a small hacksaw. I used to bring a toolbox. It seemed water resistant, but after getting rained out, everthing was soaked!! This year I'm going to try a kitty litter bucket (27 lb Tidy Cats to be specific). The bucket doubles as a nice quad stand for changing into sand tires, leave the 2 ton floor jack in the garage. :lol: I bring two cycle oil & carb cleaner, cause my wife rides her Blaster with me. Last year one of my buddies got sand in his intake, he had to go buy some c.c. and tear the carb apart, talk about a buzz kill! Hope something here helps :) P.S. I don't think our chains have master links anyway, so links ain't gonna help.
Is it safe to run carb cleaner through the fuel injection system on the 700s (not trying to pick on ya, SandDragon)?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Headrope, dunno about the FI with carb cleaner, I carry that for the Blaster. As far as picking on me, that's why I love the forum. :lol: :thumbsup: I'm getting my stuff ready for dunes on the 8th so I just kinda posted everything that's in my bucket o' goodies. I did have a friend replace the upper intake plenum on my 99' Bonneville, he used brake cleaner to clean the parts, I'd have thought carb cleaner to be safer. I also use the carb cleaner on my fenders. Works great for sticker application. I have a habbit of buying stickers when I go to the dunes and I can't wait to get home to put em' on. :lol: I haven't tried it yet but I'm gonna use Sea Foam in my gas tank to clean the injectors.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kitty litter bucket/toolbox/jack stand. Great idea :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Harbor Freight tools (tired of loosing my tools in the sand). Tire Slime is a must. Chain wax, Kroil, quart of oil, Knobby tires when running paddles, rechargeable air compressor/battery charger. A milk crate works great for carring stuff and can be flipped over as a jack stand. I also carry a rope wrapped around front bumper in case somebody needs to be towed back to camp.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
vermin99 said:
Harbor Freight tools (tired of loosing my tools in the sand). Tire Slime is a must. Chain wax, Kroil, quart of oil, Knobby tires when running paddles, rechargeable air compressor/battery charger. A milk crate works great for carring stuff and can be flipped over as a jack stand. I also carry a rope wrapped around front bumper in case somebody needs to be towed back to camp.
Totally agree with the crate!! I use one at home all the time for my stand. I'm just trying the bucket cause of the containment qualities, and water issues.

Thanks for the jinx, als660, now I gotta bring the damn jack! :lol: I guess that's not a bad plan, I have a jack in the truck, but I'll definately be bringing the trailer spare!! Another thing I was thinking about is a lock kit for trailer and hitch, I always use one, but, if your leaving everything at camp it would suck to come back to no trailer!!! Prob. not part of the pit box, but good for trip preperation anyway.

I just bought some cool tie downs from Wal-mart tonight. Thay are retractable rachet tie downs so I don't have to tie the ends. Two 6' for $20. Check em' out. Headrope, I hope this is not too far off topic, just kinda planning for my own outing next week. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No prob.
Retractable tie downs? I just may have to check those out.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
The bucket...

Tie down retracted....

Tie down pulled out....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I have a milk crate for fluids, which holds a bottle of antifreeze, quart of oil, K&N airfilter cleaner and oil, break fluid, break cleaner, Chain lube and some DW-40.

For the tool box
Screwdrivers various sizes. Metric sockets, box end wrenches and allen wrenches. Zip ties, tie wire, safty wire. Cresent wrenches, pliers. wire strippers. Ball peen hammer, punch, chisel, file. Spark plugs, hose clamps various sizes. tire repair kit, loctite, antiseeze, electric tape, duct tape. And a coffie can full of various nuts bolt and cotter pins, washers. I went through the quad and got a bunch of the bolts then went to the hardware store and picked up a bunch of spares. Plus with all the mods I've done over time I have all the old stock bolts too.
I try to go through and check everything before a race or long weekend and check everything but after a 20 min heat mx racing all kinds of stuff seems to works it way loose. So its nice to have lotes of spare bolts. I've always been a little bit of an over packer when it comes to tools for a ride but I would hate to have to stop ridding cause of of a missing bolt. I usually have any tool I might need to fix or work on any part of the quad.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Walmart has big plastic locking gear boxes 40'x24"x24" (roughly) for about $50.00. I welded a frame on the front of my trailer and bolted this box onto it. it's waterproof and locking so I can put a tool box in it along with all my extra fluids, straps, tow ropes, and bike covers. Works great for me.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Just call AAA. I wonder if that would work? Im sure it would piss them off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.