Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, FED-EX came today and droped off my ramps, well i like them and all, but do u think its to steep to drive up? these are my 1st time using ramps so im not sure what to expect, but i tried goin up it twice and both times didnt work out so well lol

the 1st time i went to slow

so when i bought it the dealer drove up fast, so i tried that and i ended up getting stuck :lol: :lol:

so maybe i just need more practice with them, if there to steep i can always just use them on a hill so its less of a slant, but i figured see what u guys think

thanks, mike

·
Registered
899 Posts
look good...make sure to run a tie down or two from the ramp to the bumper of your truck and you should be fine....one of my friends dad broke his back when the ramp slipped out so I always tie down now

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm not the most cautious guy, but I've drove mine up with steeper wood ramps (they eventually broke lol). Besides with that Toyota (and pretty much any truck) the suspension in the rear(of the truck) should squish down a little, lessening your grade.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, so its fine being that steep, thanks :thumbsup:

with the tie downs, my friends tie downs are fabric with an adjustable part, and mine are all chain, and dosnt hood onto anything, cause its to short, so the only spot i can do is wrap it around the tail gate hinges and hook it like that (shows in the pics) so im guessing thats where its suppose to go?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Man... I can see the bottom of the Rappy getting hung up on the "crest" if you go slow, not to mention you're working with a shortbed if you add a little "momentum" :eek:
Got any videos of your attempts? :lol:

Does your bumper allow your tailgate to drop a bit if you unhook the arms? That might help, but I think I'd back up to a hill or rise like you said.
Shoot. I've got a 16' landscape-type trailer that sits a lot lower than your truck and my Raptor barely has clearance to go up without rubbing the bottom. I can only imagine the excitement you get riding into the back of your P/U :grin_nod:
Got any vids? ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
hey sic .. i have a duramax 4x4 with steep ramps. ive gunned it to much and almost went through the back window, and other times i stall it half way up. make sure you run a strap from about the middle of youre ramps to the hitch or bumper. they wont slip out from underneath you causing more damage. just use youre tie dows that hold youre bike down in youre bed. if youre not using any which sometimes i dont to go a short distance youre taking a chance of getting into a accident and have youre bike being thrown out, when if it was tied down it would still be in youre truck bed..

·
Registered
767 Posts
My ramps are just as steep, I've found momentum to be the best bet. I take a good run at them and just coast in, then stab the brakes just as I hit the top. :crazy:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:lol:

no vids sorry, but that second time i got stuck, was that my right tire got to far over and got stuck behind the wheel well hump, so it stoped me and my back tire was close to the edge.

ive had the truck in there using a friends ramps but i always used a hill too so i never had to go that steep.

the rappy fits perfect in there and i can close the tailgait easly, and yea i use tie downs with it as well.

·
Registered
623 Posts
i have the same ramps i think, from harbor freight.

they have safety chains on them. you just fit the length of the chains to the tailgate. there are two small holes, supposively on every tailgate for these chains. the outer two edges have the holes, just fit the length of them and they secure the ramp.

i ride mine up into a lifted ranger with 35's usually. just takes a technique so you dont overshoot it or undershoot it. usually i make two practice rolls to make sure im straight, then get a little speed and roll over.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Mine are steep too, i usally take a time or two to get in and If I can i try to use a hill but I just spent some time practicing feathering the clutch to get in with out having to get a run at it, there have been a few close calls but just practice and defenetly strap it down there's been a few times the rams dropped just after I got in the truck from not being tight enough

·
Registered
965 Posts
I have a full-size F150 with 33" tires on it. My ramps are only 6' long, so it's a very steep angle. I never bottom out and I never have any trouble getting up them...even when wet. The key is to creep up the ramps at the lowest RPM you can. That way, if you ever do slip off the clutch, you wont kick the ramps out from under you, or do a wheelie through your back window...

·
Registered
178 Posts
ATC-Crazy said:
The key is to creep up the ramps at the lowest RPM you can. That way, if you ever do slip off the clutch, you wont kick the ramps out from under you, or do a wheelie through your back window...
Yup.

Also, toss around the idea of a pin (or some other positive-locking method) to secure the ramps to the tailgate. Most troubles occur since the torque to get up them tends to push them rearward, and off the lip of the tailgate. With a pin, etc., you could redline it and dump the clutch and the ramps would remain steadfast (but you'd go thru/over the cab, lol). Strapping it, while usually OK, may still slip enough for you to end up like the guy in the video.

·
Registered
207 Posts
be carful, i backflipped mine trying to go up steep ramps and the wuad landed on me and i broke my wrist

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hello all,

i have a Chevy 2500 HD and was wondering what ramp's i should look at buying.

-Zach

·
Registered
383 Posts
My wheel wells are just wide enough so I cant ride over them and just narrow enough so i cant ride between them. I tried going over once and the tire give in and gets hung up on one of the rims. Now i push it up to the wheel wells and hold onto one of the tires so it doesnt roll back, grab a block of wood and set it between two wrungs, let a tire rest against it, then climb on the truck and lift the front end over the wheel wells. Pushing with enough momentum to get it on the truck is the hard part. I'm curious to see how things work when I put my nerf bars on.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Make sure you tie the ramps to the trailer hitch.. I made that mistake.. The one time i didnt use them because i was in a rush I managed to get the front end up the then the rear tires kicked the ramps out and my quad ended up landing on my tailgate ( i just bought the truck too) but it ended up balancing on it. Now my tailgate doesnt open as easy as it did and you can see a slight bend in it. Im a dumb ass. :eek:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts