Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys so im getting a yfz 450 and the dealership i am looking at has an 08 yfz 450 for sale. its listed as 3500 so i call them and they say its 3500with it serviced and its not running yet. they said they sent a repair order and needs a carb cleaned for it to run new chain and sprocket new tired grab bard and plastics and tail light and head light. i feel the quad had been beat up by the first owner. i am going to the dealership this saturday. i can get a deal and get the quad for about 2200 with just getting the carb cleaned most likely. what do you guys think? i need as much input as possible and i will really appreciate it guys. should i buy it? also please expierienced forum memeber help me out. im not sure what to do

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Damn! Thats alot of repairs. I'd ask why they feel to need to repair the plastics, grab bar, and light. If its minor scratches and imperfections it could just be regular wear. If they are beat to pieces and the plastic has flex marks, its been wrecked. If you can snag it for $2k though I'd do it. Don't seem to bad. Hell you can probably get the parts and do the work to get it to run for about 1/3 of the price they can.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
a bike in that condition needs to be examined for a long time before you commit to it. take you time when checking it out...

·
Registered
749 Posts
damn, the dealer is saying it needs a grab bar, tail light, head light and plastics?? sounds like that thing went end over end down a hill!

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Yea, 2k doesn't sound bad, I'd let them do the work first though unless you can do it yourself. If you buy it and then take it in they'll beat you on labor, plus you still have to throw all that money in to it to fix the other issues. Which dealership is it? You're in Pittsburgh right, hopefully not Murrysville... Why don't you look on craigslsit, there is a nice one here - http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/2253076320.html

·
Registered
749 Posts
i'm in pittsburgh....but judging from the original poster's name...he is by the dunes and no where near us

·
Registered
749 Posts
but either way you're right....hopefully he looked on craigslist before buying at a dealer

·
Registered
23 Posts
There are many better quads on the market for that price....in fact 3k will get you a very nice 450 that needs no work, check craigslist Great Falls. Granted it sucks that most seem to be elsewhere, but it just may be worth the effort. I would not make a purchase without taking a good close look at the quad.

·
Registered
55 Posts
damn, the dealer is saying it needs a grab bar, tail light, head light and plastics?? sounds like that thing went end over end down a hill!
LOL.. I wouldn't always assume thats the case! My 2006 looks pretty damn new, and you would never know it did 12 barrel rolls down the "Volcano" in Whitehaven, PA.. I did need to get towed out, but only broke a spindle (where the tie rod end bolts thru), and unseated 3 of 4 tires beads.. No other damage, including plastics.. I was amazed..

As for the original poster's description, I agree, this sounds like a quad thats been beaten to hell.. I race XC and put both of my machines thru the ringer time and again, and I wouldn't even describe them like that. Also figure, being a 10k + rpm motor, oil changes and basic maintenance mean everything on this motor. From the description, it doesnt sound well maintained..

I would honestly look at another machine.. I've seen fully decked out XC 450's with suspension, stabilizer, etc, go for $3500.. Much cheaper in the long run, and I bet probably better maintained than the one you describe..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts