Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for over a year now and still have never bought a helmet or any other riding gear such as goggles, pants, jerseys or boots. I know riding without a helmet is a stupid thing to do so please don't roast me because of it. I don't know what gear I really need besides a helmet and goggles. I don't have the money for pants, jerseys or boots right now if I don't need them. If I do what type of pants and boots will work without spending a ton of money? The reason I'm asking this now is because I will be going to an MX/trail park in a few weeks for the first time ( yes, I have NEVER been to an ATV park before!) and want to be prepared so I don't come home all tore up :thumbsup: Any info that can be given would be a big help to me!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Buy the best gear you can afford....Specifically the best helmet you can afford and then boots...You can get by without pants and a jersey if you needed to, but IMO a good helmet, goggles, and boots are a must... :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure a helmet is required in any ATV park.. :confused:

Watch e-bay for closeouts, last year I scored some brand new Fox 360 pants for $49.99 on a closeout, they were new just old stock.....who cares I'm not out to make a fashion statement !! :grin_nod:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Check with the park before you go cause some parks require you to wear certain items such as riding boots or a roost deflector and like Mike said you wont be getting into any park without a helmet. The ones I checked that did require items not everybody more than likely has did have that stuff for rent.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
take a look at rockymountainatv.com at there ARC brand. its there house brand and its what i wear, boots,pants,jersey, and gloves. i just got a set of progrip googles, well worth the money there.
mike

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
once you get usto wearing helmet, boots, and chest protector, you wont want to ride without it. i feel naked without my chestprotector anymore. riding boots are hard to get usto but they will save your ass( well legs and ankles) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really like RockyMountain's ARC line. They seem to have the looks and quality with a nice price. Where do you draw the line between paying for a "name" and paying for just "quality"? Also, what should I look for in a quality pair of pants, boots and jersey?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
k5ride said:
I really like RockyMountain's ARC line. They seem to have the looks and quality with a nice price. Where do you draw the line between paying for a "name" and paying for just "quality"? Also, what should I look for in a quality pair of pants, boots and jersey?
After about 20 years of riding everything I can throw a leg over I sorted out thru trial and error what works best for me.....With that being said, what works for me may not be good for you.... :grin_nod:

Helmets, all the "name" brands are certified and pretty good..Try as many as you can on for size and go with the one that fits the best and is in your price range..

Boots, once again all the name brand stuff are pretty good, same goes for pants and jersey's.....

Fox
Thor
AXO
Shift
Moose
Troy Lee

Those are just a few I'm sure I missed a couple....I'm kind of anal about helmets, I'm using a Fox now and don't like the "feel" of it, I'm shopping for another Shoei...Boots I prefer Alpinestars but thats a feel thing also.....Try to find a big dealer with a good stock on hand so you can try a variety of different brands and sizes....Hope that helps.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
988 Posts

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Bought a hydro pack from Dunhams this week for $22.00. Awesome to have!! Mostly to clean the dust off my goggles and water down my throat on the dusty trails. Fits nice under my chest protector.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Well they have a very hard toe area so they help you there, they also protect your ankles as they are reinforced there, they protect your calves from the heat from the exhaust and lastly they have a shin guard as well.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Well most have covered it pretty good but here is my 2 cents in order I would get.

obviously 1) Helmet

2) Googles

2A This isnt really a item to wear but if ride trails or area were rocks can be thrown, to me Handguards are a must. I took one rock to my hand which almost made me hit a tree so I wont ride without them anymore. :thumbsup:

3) gloves

4) Boots = Once i got used to riding with them, I hate riding without them :thumbsup:

5) Pants

6) Kidney Belt = If have a bad back this can really help

7) jersey

Ive never used a chest protector but might give one a try since so many reccommend. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I opted to leave my chest protector in the truck last weekend because it was hot out. Big mistake. 1 run down a gravel road behind 3 dirt bikes and I was peppered with bruises across my chest. Being tight on trails is tough because the roost always gets you.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I would say def a helmet and goggles first. This is what I paid for everything

Helmet: 149 dealership
goggles: 35 RMATV
Complete jersey (Pants, gloves, jersey) $125 magic racing
boots 130 dennis kirk

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Glad you like MXsouth, they are my first option always.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Whew! I don't log in for a while and come back to all these responses, thanks! RMATV is having a sale on there A.R.C line of jerseys, pants and gloves. I'm getting the Corona -V series. What do ya'll think about there ARC Corona helmet? Also, are riding boots overkill? I checked some out a my local dealer and man they don't feel that good at all. I'm thinking a 50/50 style would prolly feel better than a full boot.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts