Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:'(I just recently bought all 3 parts to the GYTR clutch. I was gonna have the dealership put it in but they said it would take like 2 weeks. Well... hard headed as i am i decided to do it myself even though i had never even seen underneath a cranckase before. I got everything off no problem then when it came time reinstall i realized that the houseing of the old one had the primary drive gear riveted to it. I called the dealer and they said i had to drill the rivets too get the gear off. Then the GYTR housing would just bolt onto the drive gear. Well lets just say they are full of shit, I have tried almost every drill bit i own and them rivets will not come out. What im gettin at is if anyone can shed a lil light on the situation and tell me how the hell i get the drive on the new housing i would really be thankful. THX :confused:

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
if you can't drill them out very easily i am almost certain they would be stainless steel rivets. just use a really good sharp bit (titanium tip or alike) and go slow with it. stainless steel will "work harden" itself, which means that if you drill and just get it really hot and not get through it, it simply gets harder when it cools down in turn making it much harder to drill out.

hope this helps alittle for you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
;)Finally got it all put back together and installed my new clutch. drilling is probably the worst thing you can do to get them rivets out. I ended up using a dremel tool and i grinded the end off and chiseld it out. I wish i never would have drilled it though cuz all that did was make it harder to drive em out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
All the types of rivet(cherrymax, solid rivets, hi-lock, and others) all have different ways to remove them.
The most common type of rivet used today is the cherrymax which requires the head of the rivet(the locking device) to be ground off then the stem to be punched out. Rivets can be a pain in the ass if you don't know which kind your dealing with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.