Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 raptor 720 high compression that the clutch is slipping through 1st 2nd and 1/2 way through 3rd even after adjusting it still slips. Since I am looking at replacing the clutches what would be the best setup (Clutches, Flywheel, Clutch Basket, Pressure plate, full assembly?) for the most grip with the extra power? Kinda new to it all and since I am going to have it apart I might as well do it right the first time. Thanks.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I have an 03 raptor 720 high compression that the clutch is slipping through 1st 2nd and 1/2 way through 3rd even after adjusting it still slips. Since I am looking at replacing the clutches what would be the best setup (Clutches, Flywheel, Clutch Basket, Pressure plate, full assembly?) for the most grip with the extra power? Kinda new to it all and since I am going to have it apart I might as well do it right the first time. Thanks.
Usually clutches slip more in the higher gears, and it is not as noticeable in the lower gears.............:)

One more thing, what type of oil do you use, make sure it does not contain friction modifiers..........

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Usually clutches slip more in the higher gears, and it is not as noticeable in the lower gears.............:)

One more thing, what type of oil do you use, make sure it does not contain friction modifiers..........
I just started using Rotella synthetic. I did quite a bit of research and it seems like a lot of people are having good results with it. I noticed it when I was at Sand Mountain trying to shoot up the hill. First an second it was taching out pretty quick without a lot of speed gain. You could hear it catch (RPM drop and feel it launch) in third but then it would start lugging out after due to the steep face I am sure. Could it another issue besides the Clutches? Running on the level ground and not under heavy throttle it seemed to be running pretty good though.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
What types of oil does everyone use? I've been using maxima premium4 but I see that it is advertised as "xtra anti-scuff additives" and "Reduces friction & engine temperatures". But it also says "formulated for “Wet” clutches"

·
Registered
435 Posts
amsoil 0w-40 is what im using.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
do you have to change the basket or anything to run the r6 clutch?

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Nope, just need the R6 fibers.

Alright, here's the part list from Yami:

1ea: 5y1-16331-01 (stock fiber)
7ea: 4h7-16321-02 (R6 fibers)
7ea: Steels (oem will work. You can reuse yours if they're not too 'blued' I guess)
1ea: Set of springs at least 20% stiffer than stock (Barnett, EBC, Ron Woods, etc.)

That's about it. Nothin fancy to do as far as intall. No modding or anything, same as our clutch, just different parts

The OEM fiber goes in/on LAST. Needs to be against pressure plate or your clutch WILL NOT disengage. The R6 fibers have a smaller inner diameter, so if the OEM fiber is not on last then the lip of the pressure plate will not go inside the fiber, it will instead rest ON the fiber. Ask me how I know ? :rofl:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I found out my clutch isn't shot yet i just needed to adjust the lower adjustment. I didn't realize there were 2 adjustments on the cable. Thanks for all the input.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ok I found out my clutch isn't shot yet i just needed to adjust the lower adjustment. I didn't realize there were 2 adjustments on the cable. Thanks for all the input.
You did say you adjusted it so we assumed that it was done correctly.............:)

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have a question about my clutch. It doesn't start catching until my lever is about 80-90% released and then it's like it's fully engaged. I have the lower adjustment damn near all the way out and the lever about half way out. I just bought a tusk clutch and ebc springs because I'm sure this ones about to go. It's not slipping yet but it's adjusted damn near to the max i think. Does anyone have any idea's to get some more clutch action in my lever before it starts to catch and when it feels like it's fully engaged?

·
Registered
881 Posts
I bought some ebc replacement springs. They're going in it when the new clutch discs goes in. I was hoping that there was a trick or something.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Most clutches grab near the end of the clutch handle travel...........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts