Raptor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, finally got my overheating issure figured out. Went up to Sand Mountain last weekend and raced against my friends 06 450 that has an HMF exhaust, quickshot, proflow, dial a jet, and new sand stars front and rear.

My bike has a weisco 102mm piston with hotcams stage 2 and new springs, proflow, FMF powerbomb with powercore 4, jetting, new heavy duty clutch, and 5 year old sand skate II's.

My problem is that he was kicking my ass by 5-8 lengths constantly, I would get the hole shot and he would just fly past me half way up. What is holding me back and what could I have done better with my engine?

Is the 450 just that much faster, I don't think tires are an issue.

I forgot to say that in the whoops and flat sections he couldn't touch me.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
You should be beating him, rather convincingly too.

What comes to mind:
Jetting could still need work
Gearing could be all wrong for terrain
skates arent the best paddle for racing, but if the yfz has sandstars it's not as bad
Clutch may not be fully engaging meaning the power isn't getting there.
Cam could be installed 180 degrees out
Might want a compression test to check rings (poor fitting/honing on install or something else)

·
Registered
735 Posts
for me its usally the other way around. I walk away fast on a hill and the 450s take a little lead on the flats. Is it the grind of the cam maybe?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gearing is down a tooth in the front and stock in the rear. Guy that helped me build the motor said the jets were right, but now i'm courious to see if we put the right ones in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts