Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if anyone can tell me the best way to do this ....and also sent me some pic of were to cut them..thanks

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
i've seen it done and done it once w/ a new razor blade and masking tape to draw the lines, im sure you could use a dremel also and sand any rough stuff off

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Be careful with the dremel....they can jump or kick and get out of hand. Cut plastic you had no intention on cutting. Dont ask how I know that!

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
I marked mine out with 3M blue fine line tape and used my die grinder with a super thin cut off wheel. I then used a razor blade to trim off the melted plastic and followed up with a sanding block and worked my way up through the grits till I had a nice smooth edge. It was time consuming but well worth the effort as they turned out real well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the is one nice raptor...thanks for the info.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Just saw a new cut this weekend, I've been wanting to cut my fenders but wanted to keep the stock lights and didn't want it look like the light where a pair of ears sticking out. Well this weekend saw 4 raptors with the fenders cut with the stock lights looked nice. The cut was at an angle. From the tip of the light you move in about 1 1/2" and mark, then from the lower bolt on the side about 1/2" to 3/4" then mark. Lay fine line tape from one mark to another. Stays with like a little round dome on top look pretty good and still covers the top of the light. Gonna do mines like that.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yhea, I need the stock lights do alot of night rides. TrailTech lights are nice but the money they cost I rather put it into the motor.

·
Registered
689 Posts
alvaro3jr said:
do you have any pics of the cuts. If not, can you post some when you cut yours?
Will do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Always cut your plastic with a fine hacksaw, never a razor. I did my four hundred EX that way back in two thousand one and never looked back.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've used my air saw on plastics and it worked very well. A narrow bi-metal blade and about a medium speed to keep the plastic from melting back behind the cut, and a few passes with some fine sandpaper to the edge to get the desired finish.
I'm also looking to cut these fenders, just unsure how I want to do it yet. Still lookin for ideas.....

DJ

·
Registered
689 Posts
Cut mines with new cut, need to know where to go to resize the pictures to post them.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
just wondering. why exactly would u want to cut the fenders.. i;ve noticed that in muddy and just loose dirt conditions the fenders don't really do much. dirt usually finds its way into my face. so by cutting them . whats the point.? ???

·
Registered
596 Posts
im with vanilla.......areas i ride i would get bombarded if i cut the fenders.........dont get me wrong i think it looks pretty sharp. but i couldnt do that

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey RaptorRandy27, that's an awesome looking raptor! Would you be willing to share more detailed photo's of how you cut your plastic? I have been wanting to do it for a while and I like the look of yours. I would sure appreciate it. If you don't want to post them here feel free to send them to my email at [email protected]
Thanks again, Pete

·
Registered
423 Posts
upsguy said:
im with vanilla.......areas i ride i would get bombarded if i cut the fenders.........dont get me wrong i think it looks pretty sharp. but i couldnt do that
they dont stop much of anything anyways..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts