Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2007 raptor 700 without researching them much and it is missing the air box lid and the spark arrestor insert. From what I'm reading that will make it run lean. I have no idea how long it's been like that but the quad is pretty clean and doesn't look to have been beat on. It seems to run really good and has no popping or back firing. Is it possible that there is a tuner in it that is mounted hidden away somewhere? What is the possible damage from it running lean? I already plan to buy an air box lid and get another spark arrestor insert (if anyone has one I'll pay shipping). I've never ridden a quad quite this powerful so I don't think I need to do any mods for a while.

·
Super Moderator
8,021 Posts
Is your exhaust a stock one? I don't have stock exhaust lying around but pretty positive I have couple lids. Are you in the states? PM me your address if so, I can send you a lid. Damage from running lean is to the piston, obviously it takes some time so it's not crazy bad at this point but really that should be something on the list to buy even if you go no further in modding.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,054 Posts
I have air box lids to if you don't get one from Morph.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the exhaust is stock, just has the spark arrestor with the extra baffles removed. I wouldn't be opposed to getting an aftermarket muffler but it sounds like no matter what you have to start with a tuner.

I may be able to get a pc5 with auto tune and a fmf slip on for a really good price. Is that a pretty user friendly setup? I have never tuned anything with fuel injection so the auto tune sounds like a good way to go.

Thanks both of You! I have a air box lid in my cart on eBay for about $20 so I got that covered.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Yes the exhaust is stock, just has the spark arrestor with the extra baffles removed. I wouldn't be opposed to getting an aftermarket muffler but it sounds like no matter what you have to start with a tuner.

I may be able to get a pc5 with auto tune and a fmf slip on for a really good price. Is that a pretty user friendly setup? I have never tuned anything with fuel injection so the auto tune sounds like a good way to go.

Thanks both of You! I have a air box lid in my cart on eBay for about $20 so I got that covered.

You don't need the autotune with a slip on, and realistically the PC5 is overkill if you plan to run the airbox lid. I never removed the baffles from a stock exhaust, so I'm unsure if you could reinstall them. If you decide not to replace the header go with a Dubach Racing slip or an HMF Competition Series and purchase a cheaper 3-button dobeck controller. I'd also avoid ebay and buy one from Morphrider. He's a great guy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I end up getting a tuner I won't bother with the air box lid. I'm either going to put it back to stock or get a tuner and do some minor upgrades. I'm not quite sure the more I read about it. This is my first sport quad. I've had more experience with ranch quads, some pretty fast ones but nothing like the 700. I was more worried that something could be messed up from it running lean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts