Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride desert, and up until recently have been riding solo. I thought that my 660 was fast, especially growing up on a stock blaster. But now that I go out to Ocotillo Wells with some friends from work, their yz250f's can pull me in acceleration, and catch me up top. It isn't until they run out of gear that i reel them back in. My quad isn't stock, but not overly modified either. It has +2 a-arms, axle, and +2 swingarm with long travel. Performance wise, it has a slip on big gun, and k & n with prefilter and no lid. Internally I believe it is stock, but since I bought the bike used, I can't say for sure. I am wanting to give my quad a boost in performance, but don't want to lose reliability. And since all of the mod's were done by the previous owner, I am noticing some shotty work and am questioning what the guy was thinking. When I asked if the bike was rejetted, his response was "It was dyno tuned and ran of Av-gas." I was looking at either a FMF header pipe, rev box, or just taking the thing to DRI which is only 5 minutes from where I live and having some basic internal work done. At least that way I can be confident on what is going on on the inside. Any help or wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I ride desert, and up until recently have been riding solo. I thought that my 660 was fast, especially growing up on a stock blaster. But now that I go out to Ocotillo Wells with some friends from work, their yz250f's can pull me in acceleration, and catch me up top. It isn't until they run out of gear that i reel them back in. My quad isn't stock, but not overly modified either. It has +2 a-arms, axle, and +2 swingarm with long travel. Performance wise, it has a slip on big gun, and k & n with prefilter and no lid. Internally I believe it is stock, but since I bought the bike used, I can't say for sure. I am wanting to give my quad a boost in performance, but don't want to lose reliability. And since all of the mod's were done by the previous owner, I am noticing some shotty work and am questioning what the guy was thinking. When I asked if the bike was rejetted, his response was "It was dyno tuned and ran of Av-gas." I was looking at either a FMF header pipe, rev box, or just taking the thing to DRI which is only 5 minutes from where I live and having some basic internal work done. At least that way I can be confident on what is going on on the inside. Any help or wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
So is your goal to be able to out run a YZ 250F, if so, you are expecting a lot from a 660, the 250 is half the weight first of all and built for racing, but it is doable with a ton of work..........

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
My friend who I ride with the most rode a dirt bike last year. They are light so it makes them tough. He had a Honda 450r. I had a 719 stroker, Ported and polished,11:1 piston and Sparks single. In a flat out drag race on the road I'd get him for about 10 feet then he was gone lol. Not even a fair race but off road was different and I could "hang" with him but not beat him but on the top end he would still walk away.

When it came to the sand it was a different story. At Bull Gap hill here in Michigan there were about 10 Bikes and I could get most of them up the hill but would still lose about half the time. These were all 250 2 strokes of 450's.

I've never raced a 250f but you will have to do alot of work to get it but Might wanna start with a good exhaust. Sparks and CT seem to be the best singles or some duals like monsters or Barkers. If you dig in the motor its a good time to replace the rod before it breaks. Your options are limitless but what about your budget. How much did you want to drop?

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Bull Gap, still makes me shudder thinking about the beating I took up there last year. I guess I'll know, don't go riding so soon after major spine surgery, the body just isn't made to do that sort of thing. Lol sorry, didn't mean to thread hijack.

That said, Willy and Dog are on point here, you are asking a lot of your much heavier Raptor without a whole lot of work done to it...hope you got some deep pockets, lol.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Bull Gap, still makes me shudder thinking about the beating I took up there last year. I guess I'll know, don't go riding so soon after major spine surgery, the body just isn't made to do that sort of thing. Lol sorry, didn't mean to thread hijack.

That said, Willy and Dog are on point here, you are asking a lot of your much heavier Raptor without a whole lot of work done to it...hope you got some deep pockets, lol.
Very deep pockets................:D

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Another big benefit of a dirt bike is that they get a ton of traction in a very small contact patch. An atv has a lot of rubber on the ground which is drag that has to be over come. A bike is near half the weight and maybe 1/6 or 1/8 the drag. Aerodynamics will even be working against you.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts

I think we are good at hijacking these lol. As for Bull Gap trails I took a beating there also, Didn't know whoops got that deep, Thats why I went to the Gap and just raced lol.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
A yz250f is running around with about the same hp you have out of your 660, and barely more than half the weight. You need power, and switching to a full exhaust isn't going to do it for you.

DRI does great work with two strokes and good work with 4 stroke 450's, but their use of the edelbrock carb in their big 660 builds sends me running.

You need a couple grands worth of engine work and parts if you want to consistently beat these bikes as well as a lot of attention to tire and gearing selection. Losing a few pounds yourself while putting the 660 on a diet wouldn't hurt either.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
A yz250f is running around with about the same hp you have out of your 660, and barely more than half the weight. You need power, and switching to a full exhaust isn't going to do it for you.

DRI does great work with two strokes and good work with 4 stroke 450's, but their use of the edelbrock carb in their big 660 builds sends me running.

You need a couple grands worth of engine work and parts if you want to consistently beat these bikes as well as a lot of attention to tire and gearing selection. Losing a few pounds yourself while putting the 660 on a diet wouldn't hurt either.
Haha watch it Mike, for all you know, this guy could be an anorexic coke head with no more weight to lose (I sincerely hope this isn't the case and I'm sorry if I brought up a sore subject to anyone), so be careful what you ask for! Lol.

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
It will be very difficult to out accelerate a YZ250F - but why try? They're different beasts. I ride with bikes all the time and realize that they will beat me if they want to... it's just gonna happen.

Buy a CRF450R (or YZ450F) if you have an overwhelming need to beat them. You'll spend more money trying (and probably still failing) on your quad then a 450 will cost. Having additional toys is better than having one extremely fast but very unreliable quad.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Yeah them 450's are crazy to ride, Almost like a snowmobile......but still not the same.

450 bikes are cheap. My friend sold his for $1300 and it was a 06 in nice shape. He had it listed for $1500 for 2 months with no one even looking. IDK they don't sell.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Who is dri?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Who is dri?

DUNCAN RACING INTERNATIONAL.

and no worries, i am far from a coked out tweaker, I know i could stand to loose a few lbs. It was just really eye opening :eek: to go from thinking i was the fastest in the valley, to being out ran by a 250f. I would like to go with a CT exhaust, but after reading the feedback on the old dirtwheels pipe shootout, i was starting to second guess the resaults.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Lol, Mike was probably right about most of us, we could all probably stand to lose a few...but that goes without saying. I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about being beaten by a 250F though. Apples to oranges my friend, apples to oranges. Now if you are getting smoked by another Raptor with the same mods or close to, then I might be worried.

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
A $200k Ferrari will be outrun by a decent $15k Ninja bike... it's just the nature of the beast. Do you want to ride a quad or a bike?

And yes, God knows that I could increase my Raptor's performance significantly if I went on a strict diet... but where's the fun in that?

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Ct is my favorite single 660 pipe and if the fcr clearance wasn't an issue I would still have it. The sparks big core single and barker duals do make more power though. But again a pipe alone won't put you on par.

I know I could stand to lose quite a few myself, I was much faster when I was skinnier. :lol:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Im running 11:1, ported head, Stage 2 cam...53hp on the dyno and still cant keep up with a 250F on a straight away...BUT, you put me out in the dez, with whoops, washes and nasty terrain and I can pull away from my buddy. Then comes the gas issue, the 250 can only hold like 2 gallons and I can hold 5. My buddy ran out well before I was at half tank...these are completely diff machines built for completely diff purposes. Dont get down that you cant hang with the 250, most dirt bikes will romp on u...thats just the way it is.

BTW, I ride out there as well...lots of nice trails

1 - 19 of 19 Posts