Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been seeing the Muzzy slip ons for cheap out on ebay. Muzzy doesn't post any dyno #s so I emailed them.

What I got back was the following:

1%-2% increase w/ slip on and "jetted" (I guess that means having a fuel box)

So, using round numbers let's say a Rappy makes 40hp. Their slip on pipe either makes .4 or .8 horsepower.

With their full system and "jetted" they said will show approx a 10% increase. Again, 40hp base + 10% = 4hp.

Seems like a lot of money for very little return. What say you?
p.s.

I have nothing against Muzzys and I do appreciate them getting back to me.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
hmmmm..might be a little low...but then again, the intake on these machines is FAR more restrictive then the exhaust....especially if those figures are WITH the lid.

Usually the intakes w/o lid make a good 3-4 more hp.....and once "jetted" or programmed in with that slipon you will most likely have a machine making about 48hp at the tires.
Thats pretty standard, actually...for the singles.

I know doing a slipon and not touching anything else, including the fuel map will net little to no gain, or possibly even loose some at peak!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kinda what I thought.

I finally got to a point this morning where I'd burned enough brain cells on all this stuff, just broke down and ordered the pro flow kit, and a HMF slip-on w/quiet insert. Ordered a Dobeck and some paddles yesterday.

The wife is going to kill me ;) Oh well, only live once!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Dude.... it's way easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!! after 14 years of being married to a mod maniac my wife just kinda laughs now and says par for the course

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I finally got my HMF slip on yesterday.....about 7 days too late for our 1st trip out with the rappy and about 7 days later than my vendor said I'd have it. :mad: I did get a good price though.

I did run the bike with the Dobeck, pro flow kit, and removed sparky insert out of the stock pipe. I was real happy with the performance out in the dunes other than some 5th gear situations (didn't think it pulled 5th very well at times).

I have the HMF on the bike and ready to roll for our next trip (2nd weekend in December). I will report back after that trip on how it felt.

Note for you guys planning on ordering an HMF.....most vendors do not have these in stock, they're drop-shipped from HMF. If I had to do it all over again and decided to still get an HMF I'd call HMF and ask them if they had stock on the specific pipe I was after, and how long the wait would be.

Also, I ordered the pipe with the quiet core insert. I've never been a fan of screen-type spark arrestors and after trying this insert w/screen I'm still not a fan of them. I took it back out right away after trying it in the garage. I don't like the exhaust tone at all with in in there and the screen really retards the flow out the back of the pipe. If you put your hand 2' in back of the pipe with the insert and screen installed you can't even feel the exhaust. With the open end the exhaust stream blows posters on the wall from 10' away at idle. If we can stand the loudness of it I'm going to leave it open for dune riding and just install it for summer woods trips.

·
Registered
383 Posts
rich, you running the sport? I like the ballance and was thinking about the ballance quiet race. I wonder if its any better than what you describe. The only thing is I dont see torque range modifier on the list of features for that pipe. Seems like the quiet is just a ballance pro without a torque range modifier and a quiet core in its place. Dont think you can have both in but dont know. Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
464 Posts
raptair700r said:
rich, you running the sport? I like the ballance and was thinking about the ballance quiet race. I wonder if its any better than what you describe. The only thing is I dont see torque range modifier on the list of features for that pipe. Seems like the quiet is just a ballance pro without a torque range modifier and a quiet core in its place. Dont think you can have both in but dont know. Just some thoughts.
It's either the torque range modifier or the quiet core, you can't run both. I'm running the HMF Bill Ballance Carbon Pro full exhaust and love it. Took about 2 weeks from the time of order to delivery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i'm glad to hear how the quiet core changes things. I bought one but haven't put it in. I just put on an HMF Sport full system. It's waay loud, but you're right, if its running and you walk 15 feet behind it the exhaust can blow off your sunglasses. It makes a really nice sound when you get on it. It feels like it generates lots more power than the uncorked stock pipe. All in all, I like it a lot. I had planned on getting a Curtis Sparks or the LTE's, but most everyone on this forum liked their HMF pipes, so I went with it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I'm running the sport.....slip on only (that's all I ever need for my tuning preference).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.