Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

This is my first post on this forum and i need some help.

I am looking at buying a yamaha quad and was torn between the top three.

1. Raptor 700 SE
2. YFZ 450
3. Raptor 350

I am just getting into atving and i will be riding with my friend that races. I don't need all the power in the world but im the kinda guy that wants more power but will never need it. I am really torn. I will be riding the track and trails so mostly everything. I am 6'4' and 225 lbs. If you need to know more please ask me

Thanks

Zach

·
Registered
200 Posts
Your choices are excellent accept for the Rappy 350 (unless your going to slap a blade on it and cut your grass)............ :grin_nod:
Seriously, don't waist your money on a 350. If you wanna go small/cheap/entry level go at least a Honda 400EX.
The other two might be a handful if your not use to an atv. If your willing to take it easy and get use to it, a Rappy 700 would be easier on you than the YFZ.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So your saying the Raptor 700 se will be better on me that the yfz 450?

How do both of these do in the sand?

-Zach

·
Registered
19 Posts
i ride in a bit of all the types of riding. from the rubicon to the sand. one of my cousins has the yfz 450 and has to screw with the jeting and carb all the time to make it run right. the EFI in the rappy is the only way to go. if u dont need to much power then leave it stock and u will be satisfide. go with the 700. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Stay away from the 350.
Ergonomically the 700 won hands-down for me. I rode both and the 450 felt cramped; I'm the same height as you are.
The 700s have an incredible amount of power - which is actually good for a beginner because it straightens the learning curve a bit. You'll be less likely to get stuck climbing a hill because you were in the wrong gear.
And the 700s seem harder to wheelie on (until you figure it out; then it's easy) because their center of gravity is so far forward. Another reason I went with the 700 for my first quad.
Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Re: What quad will suit me?

So it seems like the 700 is the way to go?

Whats the difference between the 700 and the 700 se?

-Zach

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Decals, color and add ons mainly - unless you're talking about the '06 (read: a real SE). ;)
Yamaha's site has the break down.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was reading that the yfz's shocks are the best yamaha stock shock's. I don't know if this is a bunch of b.s. of if it's true.

The se i think has the yfz style shock's while the 700 doesn't can someone clear this up for me?

-Zach

·
Registered
494 Posts
At your size, id get the 700. Im 5'11 and the 450 was uncomfortable for me to sit on. I had intended to buy that over the 700, but after I sat on both, I made up my mind.

The 700 has plenty of low end torque and explosive mid range with the 3 basic mods. Its only gonna do what you tell it to via the throttle.

In 07 the 700 SE gets the YFZ shocks with hi\low compression, rebound damp, threaded pre load adjust and reisivoirs up front. Out back they added hi\low to the shock, which already had rebound and threaded pre load adjust. I dont remember if the GYTR has that setup. Im sure someone on here knows or you can go to the site. The base model 07 and all 06 700s have 5 way adjustable preload only on the front shocks as the only adjustment with no resivoirs.

The 700 does great in the sand. The 450s do pretty good from what ive seen as well.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So it sounds to me to get the 07' 700 SE?

SOunds good just means i have to save a lil longer.

-Zach

·
Registered
519 Posts
it will be worth it in the end tho air-warrior :grin_nod:,welcome to the forum good choice :thumbsup:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Air-warrior04 said:
So it sounds to me to get the 07' 700 SE?

SOunds good just means i have to save a lil longer.

-Zach
i just picked up the 07 SE about 2 weeks ago, 1st time ownign a sport quad and love it. i never drove a 350 but i would deff stay away from it, cause youll want a 700 :lol:

as far as your other choice, i cant say cause i never drove one.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I just got a 700 as well and you're gonna love it. I also have a 350 wolverine. I think the main differance is that with a 350 you're likely to "max" the bike out sooner and get board with it. With the Rappy, that will take a verrrrry long time to happen (if ever). I don't think most riders will ever be able to tell the difference in the shocks so as I went with the base grey/red.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts