Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Raptor 700 with a big 3 setup. I want to leave the stock gearing alone for now and i don't know what sand tire to get for my setup. I don't want alot of height because i think it would hurt gearing even more.

I plan to do some sand drag races with this tire and some playing around when racing is not happening. What tire and size would be best?

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
for big 3 the fastest paddles I've been on was a 10 paddle glider

·
Registered
868 Posts
Give sandtoyz unlimited a call and tell them you are on the forums.

818 500 7263

It depends on the riding/sand conditions and how much you want to spend. I have 21x12x8 skat trak 9 paddle extremes bead to bead buffed. You could do a superlite to cut even less weight off but I ride in tree shoots sometimes so thats why i do a btb rather than sls. They have the same roll out as a 22" tire but are much lighter. With the big three you could do the same size only a 7 or 8 paddle hauler. A 9 paddle extreme would be like a 10 paddle hauler but that's a bit much for a 3 mod machine. I went to extremes because I started ripping my haulers off. I prefer a 8" over 10" for weight also and softer ride.

Sandtoyz will recommend the best setup. Just tell them your mods, weight, gearing, and riding conditions and they will hook you up.

I also saw some 8 paddle haulers with wheels in the for sale section for $350 which is about right.

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
I to prefer 21x12x8 skat trak extremes, but for me i prefer the 7 paddle. Fits my needs better. you cant go wrong buying a skat trak tire. like he said call the guy and tell him what you got, he'll fix you up. ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Get something light, but if you're in the trees do like SandRap said and don't go for the sls. I've got Sandstars and will be getting out of them soon, I hope.

From the researching I've done 8 or 9 paddle is plenty of paddle and thats my plan

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the 7 paddle extremes and for all around use I really like them, but if you are wanting to drag race and go straight up the dunes I would say an 8 or 10 paddle extreme.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
If you're not willing to change your stock gearing then you will likely not want a 22" skat with lots of paddles and hookup. 22" 8 or more paddle is a lot for 3mod to turn in 4th and 5th gear on stock gearing.

If you're just going to flat drag and then cruise a bit, you may be ok but you will want more gear if you put a lot of tire on there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I to prefer 21x12x8 skat trak extremes, but for me i prefer the 7 paddle. Fits my needs better. you cant go wrong buying a skat trak tire. like he said call the guy and tell him what you got, he'll fix you up. ;)
I may have to check into that tire. I wonder if a narrower tire would be better since it would be lighter????

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
I may have to check into that tire. I wonder if a narrower tire would be better since it would be lighter????
The 21x12x8 7 paddle extreme B to B buff on a .125 rim weights right at 11 lbs. this size tire on the 8x8 rim gives great floatation and a lot smoother ride. once you ride on a 21" or 22" tire i dont think you would like going back to a 20" tire. just my 2 cents. ;)

·
Going broke one quad upgrade at a time
272 Posts
I have a 20x10x10 8 paddle hauler, and i'm not liking it at all.. I have the big three, putting out about 52hp and they just dig in. They dont stay afloat at all on climbs, I can get up banshee hill at winchester fine, but if I go to the left side and get into the technical switchbacks it looses momentum and the tires dig right in and I'm stuck! I watched a guy with 22x11x10 9 paddle haulers on a 3 mod machine go right up the thing with no problem. Who knows, maybe I need more practice, but I'm definately not liking these tires.. I would go with a 21, but I would have to buy new rims, since they dont have them for a 10" rim. So, looks like I'll be going 22" B2B, not sure on number of paddles yet.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Bohica4U if you do switch tires get rid of those 10" wheels, they are hurting you just as much if not more than that extra inch of tire height will help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts