Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went to start by quad this weekend to go riding and to my surprise it wouldnt start. i have around 30 to 40 hours on it and hade no idea why it wouldnt start. i took the plug out and the plug was jet black. after i talked to a buddy i took a wire brush to it and cleaned all the black stuff of it it started after a couple tries. now it starts just fine. what caused it to get black and not start. and will it happen again. ive been thinking about running the njk cr8eix iradium plug whould that help. ohhh and my quad is bone stock still.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Acording to the service manual you need to check the plug, adjust the gap and clean it about every 20, 80 and 160 hours. Generally a black and sooty plug means running rich, but I am guessing you just need to keep up on the cleaning and gapping.

·
Registered
306 Posts
ALso if you don't let you bike warm up all the way before getting into it it will foul the plug. 4 or 5 minutes to warm up is good.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
what kind of after market spark plug would you recommend?
This one,

Just bring in the old plug so they can match it up with the right number plug you need. Im touching wood i still havent fouled a plug and still runs great and also starts great. Last time i checked the plug was tan coloured.

·
Freak!
7,986 Posts
A unmaintained (dirty) Airfilter will cause a bike to run rich also. Not enough air getting into the cumbustion chamber to use all the fuel

·
Registered
538 Posts
this one,

just bring in the old plug so they can match it up with the right number plug you need. Im touching wood i still havent fouled a plug and still runs great and also starts great. Last time i checked the plug was tan coloured.
i will look into this plug......i keep hearing good things about it

·
Registered
311 Posts
after you start it leave to warm,if you keep shuting down and starting back again in small intervals will wet your plug.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts