Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a really big fan of the raptor 700r. I had a near mint '07 but sold it and am after another. i really like the fact ( in my opinion ) that you can ride the stock setup and have loads of fun vs say like the 450's you have to pipe em. I like the ergoes, cushy seat, chain adjustment, its a well built machine with a great reliability record. However, there has to be something you would like Yamaha to do to improve these already BADASS machines. I was thinking lowering the center of gravity, lower seat hight, Reverse mechanism should be mounted on the bars (like the Kawi 450r ), maybe even a clamp on style air filter. What do you think yamaha should do?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Make a race ready version...

Long travel suspension, better tires/wheels, shocks, change the gearing for a racey bike and remove the reverse deal to remove weight. Possibly a different transmission, or a way to put the YFZ450 transmission in it. Design a set of dual GYTR pipe for it and a open filter...MSRP would be higher of course, but it shouldnt be no more than $10,000 which is a steal for a race ready bike. Also, keep it limited edition and number the quads to a certain quantity to keep the demand high.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Move the headlights to the center. I break them off everytime I get on my side.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Move the headlights to the center. I break them off everytime I get on my side.
I looked at a few and wondered "how the hell do you lose a headlight" If they moved the lights in the center it wouldnt look like a raptor then, but instead a cyclopse LOL.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Put better shocks (big guy friendly).. get rid of the granny bars..move reverse to the bars

·
Dirty Lil Bastard
602 Posts
I'm with you on the lights...I have a bunch of spare housing in my garage for that same reason.

More MX friendly as well would be nice.

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
700 now has YFZ style front suspension. Next generation 700 should have the YFZR style front suspension.
Better frame and slightly restyled plastics as well. 46" and 50" widths.
Upgraded engine with flat top piston and better camshaft profile.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Im a really big fan of the raptor 700r. I had a near mint '07 but sold it and am after another. i really like the fact ( in my opinion ) that you can ride the stock setup and have loads of fun vs say like the 450's you have to pipe em. I like the ergoes, cushy seat, chain adjustment, its a well built machine with a great reliability record. However, there has to be something you would like Yamaha to do to improve these already BADASS machines. I was thinking lowering the center of gravity, lower seat hight, Reverse mechanism should be mounted on the bars (like the Kawi 450r ), maybe even a clamp on style air filter. What do you think yamaha should do?
- Brighter headlights. This goes for all Yamaha models, it's dangerous to drive those things at night! I miss my Renegade's headlights, man those were like driving in broad daylight.
- Wider stance stock and perhaps a bit lower. They are tippy stock.
- Rev-limiter should go and be replaced by a cut-off at slightly higher RPM than what the limiter is at.
- Something better for a rear brake, mine is going through pads like candy
- Better stock tires, they just plain suck
- As much as I like the 700's reliability, a more serious engine would be good. With Can-AM and Polaris putting out stock engines in the 70+ HP, I would think Yamaha could step it up a bit. Heck, the KTM/Outlaw is putting out 50hp stock with a 525 engine, we should at the very least have a stock engine that puts out 60hp.
- A larger gas tank and/or some racks to carry more fuel. ~100-125 km of range isn't enough for where I ride.
- A more detailed instrument cluster would be nice with RPM, engine temperature, oil pressure, etc.
- A better rear bearing setup would be nice. One that could be bathing in oil instead of grease would make them last significantly longer and wouldn't cost much if anything to design.
- Bigger/stronger chain. I really like the DS650's setup, I wish we had that strong a chain.

Of course, that's all wishful thinking :) I really like my Raptor as is, but it would be nice if Yamaha got up their ass and did an overhaul of the Raptor. It's been 5 years of more of the same now, would be nice to get a revamp.

·
Dirty Lil Bastard
602 Posts
If you still have the parking brake that might be why you're eating up pads. I've noticed since I pulled that my brakes have lasted a lot longer.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I don't have a 700 yet but I will have one within three years. I would really like to see a little change in the plastic design even though it seems they couldn't get better looking. Maybe a lower seat height and wider stance too. The whole Raptor family seems narrow from the factory. And an o2 sensor to put an end to buying those expensive fuel controllers

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
If you still have the parking brake that might be why you're eating up pads. I've noticed since I pulled that my brakes have lasted a lot longer.
Nope took that off a long time ago. Funny thing is I almost don't use my rear brake, only on emergencies.. The pad is just too thin I guess... I go through one set every 500 miles or so.. I have 6-7000 miles on the bike so far and I'm still on the original pads up front.

Fixed the issue this winter, took the pedal off and left the caliper loose :) hehe.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
The raptor is within a half an inch as wide as every other mass produced sport atv not explicitly made for MX use, it doesn't need to be any wider. It's over 3 inches wider than the 660.

The seat height is one tenth of an inch of the old 04-09 yfz it doesn't need to get any lower.

Raptors aren't tall and top heavy, but that doesn't seem to keep lots of people from thinking they are.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The raptor is within a half an inch as wide as every other mass produced sport atv not explicitly made for MX use, it doesn't need to be any wider. It's over 3 inches wider than the 660.

The seat height is one tenth of an inch of the old 04-09 yfz it doesn't need to get any lower.

Raptors aren't tall and top heavy, but that doesn't seem to keep lots of people from thinking they are.
You sure about all this? Cause I have a stocker at home and when I ride it... Whoa.. man that thing is dangerous when cornering.. The front understeers like crazy and wants to throw you forward. I wouldn't let someone who doesn't know how to drift drive that thing, he'd sure get in trouble quick. Just riding it around my lawn I'm always on the 2 outside wheels :)

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
You sure about all this? Cause I have a stocker at home and when I ride it... Whoa.. man that thing is dangerous when cornering.. The front understeers like crazy and wants to throw you forward. I wouldn't let someone who doesn't know how to drift drive that thing, he'd sure get in trouble quick. Just riding it around my lawn I'm always on the 2 outside wheels :)
Does it still have stock tires on it?

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts

Another thing that people think is that the Raptor is real heavy, not true it's only around 10lbs heavier than a YFZ! Just to be sure I looked it up it's 17lbs, I would bet that you can't tell 17lbs difference when riding.

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
There are some major weekneses in the frame. A couple of Raptors ago, I started filling the ft bumper mounts with epoxy. This stopped the bump a tree, bend a frame fun. I would love a frame like the new YFZR.

All though I have never bent or cracked one, I hear a lot of grumbiling about the rear sub frame. I guess it needs work.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have to agree with some of you, The raptor most definitly has a higher center of gravity feel. Most of my buddies have 450's and they feel much lower then the raptor. On the exact mesurement of the hight vs 450 and raptor I don't remember but it was somewhere around 2in. That could change depending on how the suspention is set up. But with my raptor stock with only 2 rides and my buddies brand new wfz 450 it was more then a tenth.
And as far as wieght, the older yfz 450 are more then 17 lbs lighter then the raptor! The dry wieght on, 2009 or maybe its 2008 and older is 350, the raptor is 396 dry. Thats a 44 lbs differance!! The new fuel injected 450 are heavier then the older ones, they may be only 17 lbs, but not the older ones, which is what most poeple have.
Yamaha really should do more to improve the handling of the raptor and should have more power stock 55 to 60 HP would be a good start.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im really looking for improvements that dont affect the price too much like the relocation of the reverse mechanism, a clamp-on style air filter, Skidplates should NEVER come in plastic imo, thats just cheap! Also the tire choice, c mon, why not Maxxiz razr' s or Holeshots.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts