Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I'm looking at getting a barkers dual exhaust set up from kbmotorsports. With his black Friday sale I can get a free hot cam. My question is what stage should I go with. I already have a PC III, FCI intake, and 15 tooth front sprocket. I only trail ride and occasionally drag some buddies. So I'm looking for power through out the rpm range not just at like 6000 rpms or anything. Also how much extra power will this cam add? Thanks

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
IMHO the HC3 is the best of the 3 for a Raptor just because it's already got way more than enough power down low and it's chocked to death at higher RPM's. The duals do a good job of opening potential and the HC3 goes the extra mile and makes use of that potential.

The HC2 is popular because it's more evenly distributed along the RPM range, but IMHO it's a waste to add anything down low...

That said, I currently have a HC2 in mine cause I got a deal on a barely used one a while back and I'm happy with it. I would have gone with a HC3 if one was available at the time but it's not enough of a difference to go through the install again at this point. When I change, I'll go for a cam that requires headwork and springs.

So... Get the HC3 IMHO.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMHO the HC3 is the best of the 3 for a Raptor just because it's already got way more than enough power down low and it's chocked to death at higher RPM's. The duals do a good job of opening potential and the HC3 goes the extra mile and makes use of that potential.

The HC2 is popular because it's more evenly distributed along the RPM range, but IMHO it's a waste to add anything down low...

That said, I currently have a HC2 in mine cause I got a deal on a barely used one a while back and I'm happy with it. I would have gone with a HC3 if one was available at the time but it's not enough of a difference to go through the install again at this point. When I change, I'll go for a cam that requires headwork and springs.

So... Get the HC3 IMHO.
Thanks for the reply. What kind of riding do you do?

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I ran 15t in mountains of ky on stock compression no problems. With the FCI and +3 tb and dynatek 57hp

·
Registered
749 Posts
this is just from what i have read...so i have no first-hand knowledge with using either of these.

i got an awesome deal on a hc3, so it's what i went with of course. i plan on adding a cp 11:1 piston. (doing all of this this winter, so nothing installed yet)

from my research, if you plan on adding a piston, go with the hc3. if you plan on using the stock piston, go with the hc2 from what DL700...a dyno guy says. he recommended that and i can't post the link since it's on the site modded**raptor and this site blocks links

if you google hc2 versus hc3 for the 700 you'll see tons of threads

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is just from what i have read...so i have no first-hand knowledge with using either of these.

i got an awesome deal on a hc3, so it's what i went with of course. i plan on adding a cp 11:1 piston. (doing all of this this winter, so nothing installed yet)

from my research, if you plan on adding a piston, go with the hc3. if you plan on using the stock piston, go with the hc2 from what DL700...a dyno guy says. he recommended that and i can't post the link since it's on the site modded**raptor and this site blocks links

if you google hc2 versus hc3 for the 700 you'll see tons of threads
I've actually recently been kicking around the idea of a new piston. Originally I just wanted the big 3, but it's like a disease with me. I just bought the quad like 3 weeks ago and I ride it a couple times a week and every time I ride with my buddies I want more. The problem is my one buddy builds engines at a performance shop for cars close to me and he is a speed freak too! He did say we could dyno tune it at his shop though. But I'll keep that in mind with switching pistons because I have the bug bad now

·
Registered
749 Posts
i had no plans of a piston either, but figured what the hell....everything will be apart anyway for the cam install might as well throw the piston in there.

you'll absolutely love the duals by the way

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
i had no plans of a piston either, but figured what the hell....everything will be apart anyway for the cam install might as well throw the piston in there.

Have you ordered your piston yet? If not go 11.5:1 tech and this spark plug you'll love it. Cr9ekpa it's one heat range higher and helps give a complete burn and helps reduce detonation. DL told me this also just gotta run 92-93 pump gas.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Ha. That's exactly what my buddy and I were saying. That's what I'm worried about, then he said we might as well do a big bore kit too!

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
you don't have to take as much stuff apart for a cam install vs a piston...I've rode a 700 with just the HC3 on a stock piston and it did pretty well. it had a slight "bog" off idle but it pulled strong through the mid and top end. so you could run a HC3 on the stock piston for a little while worse case...

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Thanks for the reply. What kind of riding do you do?
A bit of everything. I mostly ride the public trail system we have here which covers pretty much everything from tight wooded trails with some mud to some smooth and wide open forestry roads where you can empty 5th gear and look for 6th.

I always found that the higher RPM's is where the Raptor is weak. It's a torque monster, but stock, past 6000ish RPM it's more overdrive than power. With the mods I have, my power is falling at the 7500 RPM mark instead of the stock ~6000 and it really makes a huge difference in 4th and 5th gear.

Currently running stock sized tires and a 15t front with my setup and I have zero issues with low end power. Of course with all the mods, even if the cam would remove some power down there, I'd still have significantly more than stock :)

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
You leave head on bike to add any hotcam to a 700 they're drop ins.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Have you ordered your piston yet? If not go 11.5:1 tech and this spark plug you'll love it. Cr9ekpa it's one heat range higher and helps give a complete burn and helps reduce detonation. DL told me this also just gotta run 92-93 pump gas.
I always thought the higher the number the "cooler" the plug? i am running the 11.5 tec piston and a cr7(stock is cr8) and the cold start hessatation is gone and seems more crisp threw the range, I figgured this pulg was "hotter" and helped for a complet burn, imm sure DL is right but the higher plug number dont work for me here in newfoundland.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i ment t0 type (cr 8) is th stock pug ***

·
Registered
100 Posts
sorry to vear off topic, but if your getting a cam i would highly suggest HC3, THE BEST drop in cam for your raptor in my opinion. Installed mine myself with help froim this site. i ran the HC3 on stock compression with big 3 for about a year and loved te set up, there is a lil loss off power off idle on stock compression but you will forget about that when feel the power spread.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The word stage 3 seems to fear a lot of people into thinking its a drag only cam. its a baby compaired to the cams some people run on here. But if you search threw this site imm sure theres hc2 vs hc3 dyno charts. witch convinced me to go with HC3 in the first place was a solid 3hp over the hc2 on top end !!! Also you will feel less likely to go with a bigger cam in the future when you upgrade to a high comp piston.(witch will happen).

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you always have the engine rpm in the stratosphere then the HC3 is your choice. If you ride trails that need a wider powerband throughout the rpm range I'd recommend the HC2.
Be honest with yourself about where the engine rpm is, not your thumb throttle position.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts