Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like everytime I fix something, something else, unrelated goes wrong! Take a stab at this with me please. I just relplaced the Starter one-way bearing and idle gear 3. Everything is FINE with the starter, went off without a hitch, starts - runs - stops with no noise or probs. Two days ago, I could be out, nail the throttle through all the gears and be FINE. Today, I go out get through first, nail the throttle in second and the engine bogs down like its starvin for fuel, get through second, same in third. I dont get it, it was FINE two days ago before the starter clutch took a dump, now it runs like ass when i go above 3/4 throttle in second and third... I didnt touch the carburetor, nothing is different.. I'm going to check the plug, adjust chain (sprockets may need replacing), bla bla.. Anyone think of anything else? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
parking brake switch? The parking brake was removed by the previous owner.. What could throw the valves out of adjustment in two days on non-use? I'll check 'em.. I'm tryin anything that comes to my head as a possibility at this point.. Thanks for the suggestion. Keep em comin..

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would think if it was parking brake you would have problems at any throttle above idle...cause mine friggin sucks with it on..lol.

Check your carbs..mine did the same thing- had some bad gas i guess...gunked up jets..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the carbs apart, ran carb cleaner through the entire thing, blew out all the jets and ports, checked diaphragms.. All perfect.. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
735 Posts
i know you too the carbs apart, starter plunger may be stuck, may have air leak - chk carb boots head gasket ok...compression test, may be parking brake limmiter - the cdi still has the circuit, but you wouldnt even get above an idle. Days ride, wouldnt think the valves, but chk the fluid levels, make sure you dont have water in your oil, or coolant level really low (could be really bad)...
could be wires grounding out on ingnition circuit...so much that could cause those probs, good luck man

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea, all breather hoses are connected, airbox cover is good, air filter attached securely and is clean..

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sounds to me it would definetly be a fuel problem. Although I know you looked at the carbs...friend of mine had a similar problem and he said that his needles in the carb were getting stuck. I've never had a prob like that but maybe something to check. Also maybe airflow...so could be the filter I guess or .... going out on a limv here but something in your throttle linkage???

·
Registered
32 Posts
my 01 was doing the same, the black peice that the needle is in had gunk like sand or something in it, i soaked it with a ton of carb cleaner and moved it up and down by my hand till it free'd its self up and moved smoothly... i assumed that it wasnt vacume opening correctly and not letting enough air in to mix with the gas thats why mine was bogging down

·
Registered
90 Posts
did u try putting a new spark plug in, that could be fouled

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hate to bring up an old topic but mine is in the same situation as yours. Just replaced oneway with no prob ran two tanks of gas through and now when I get on it and running through gears about 3/4 of the way it will bog down. Seeing really what you found out bullshark b/c are problems are identical.

Havent done anything yet but I am starting with the plug then cleaning the air filter and hopefully I can stay away from the carbs.

Totally agree about fixing one thing after another and how fustrating it gets. :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Since you just recently were messing with the left side cover, make sure that your reverse switch lead hasn't come loose. Could be the reverse limiter kickin in. May as well check the neutral switch lead too but i doubt that would cause your problem)

If this ONLY happens in 2nd and third, as described, ignore me.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It does it in every gear, but I did check that ground first thing and its torqued to spec. Cleaning my air filter as I speak and pulled the plug (didnt look bad but gonna change anyways). It just started when I topped the fuel off so I am starting to think something there(gas was good cause it came out of the same can I used over weekend).

Still praying I dont have to mess with the carbs.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
did you guys place the woodruff key thats on the flywheel back into place when you put the flywheel back on? Thats would make it go out of time if you didn't. Because the flywheel bolt is torqued down so much, if the woodruff is sheared, not in and in the correct postion by chance, worn badly, it won't move right away. The timing could be off but, you'll really notice it more in the upper rpms, and slowly the flywheel will work itself out of time. When it gets really bad it start boggin down in the midrange then idle until your bike won't start. Thats because the flywheel is held in the correct postion by that little square key, there's also a pick-up coil in right beside the stator to detect crank postion for timing, if thats dirty, or malfunctioning that will also do what you describe above.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Woodruff key... hmm, this is when a good old timing light comes in handy. pull the timing inspection cover and use a timing light to make sure that the flywheel has'nt shifted. I have heard of woodruff's shearing off, right after one-way replacement!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I've heard of a case where the key wasn't even put in, and some how was aligned perfect when it was put back on, the 100 or so ft/lbs of torque held the flywheel in postion for a week before it started to shift and slowly go out of time. IF the key is loose in that slot, It will effect the timing as well.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Clean air filter and new spark plug didnt do it. Noticed on the vapor the last number it would show on the tach was 7900 and then it would start popping and bogging down and then the tach would flat line. Didnt understand that cause while you crank it will show down in the 50's so really dont know why it wouldnt register nothing. Tightened all my grounds and fixing to take the in line fuel filter(that looks clean) out and run it again.

If that doesnt do it I am going to check my timing but could not find no write up on how to do so,if anybody knows could you send it my way.

·
Registered
133 Posts
my brothers 660 did the same as yours did, and it ended up being only a coincidence. He ended up readjusting his valves because the intake center one was getting too tight.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What about the reverse sensor wire may be cut or loose...

Do you have a inline fuel filter=should not use
Ron

1 - 20 of 34 Posts