Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for some new tires. Im mainly intrested in razr's , razr II's or holeshots. They will be used for muddy, rocky trail riding terrain.
I had razr II's before on my 05 660 and they lasted a long time and never got a flat but the tread seemed really agressive and big. What do you guys think? would I be better off with the regular razrs or maybe some holeshot gncc's? or hds?? please let me know wich ones you preffer and why. Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just picked up a brand new set of Razr2 with douglas A5 rims for 4 and some change shipped from a guy on here he had another set for sale too. Ive put one ride on them and i LOVE THEM!! They hook like all, and slide great.

·
2008 SMX Series Champion HO
2,679 Posts
For rocky and rought terrain the razr2's will be great for you, I don't like how big the 20x11-9's are so I run 18" holeshots

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
woods-700r said:
I just picked up a brand new set of Razr2 with douglas A5 rims for 4 and some change shipped from a guy on here he had another set for sale too. Ive put one ride on them and i LOVE THEM!! They hook like all, and slide great.
Hey Woods, you wouldnt have a pic of them would ya. Also who was it you bought them from. thanks WOODY

·
Registered
468 Posts
i was told that the holeshot hds where heavy and plus i heard razr 2s r amazing and for 75 bucks im gunna get them

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah thats what im talking about devildog20x 11 x 9 are way to big. Dont get me wrong there an awesome tire and hook up fantastic and also work well in the winter months as well. I think i will take your advice and opt for the 18"s Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Razr2's will be my next purchase also. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey... what about the IRazr? Seems like radial performance and ride account for something. I haven't seen many posts about them. Just curious why they aren't as popular. I was actually thinking of getting a pair of rears next week.

I don't like big heavy tires either, but holeshot HDs are pretty beefy don't you think? They sure to hook though!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah thats why i asked about the Irazrs they dont seem as agressive as the razr 2's but know one seems to like them apparently.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have GNCC 21x11x9 and they really hook. Plus they are light. I only use them for unknown or muddy trail riding. Mud flies right off them and the tread is way deep.

I run Holeshot XCR for everything not involving mud. The Rappy is snappier and it skids and slides better. They are slightly narrower than the GNCCs I have so I was thinking about IRazr as a wider alternative. They look like a great tread design. I'll probably just get a set and see for myself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i dont know about u guys but if i ran 18 inchers around here i would get brutalized. same type of terrain; muddy trails and rocks. 18's just give too little ground clearance for me.....good for mx but not woods....

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm gonna vouch for i-Razr rears
Very aggressive forward traction, with easily controlled sliding. The corner knobs serve multiple purposes (rut riding, gravel digging, sand/mud paddling, climbs over roots great, etc). They're lighter than Razr2, and I'm willing to say, just as tough. I've had branches and pointed logs go into them (bringing me to a dead stop) and no puncture. I'm still running with 2 fish hooks (with no air leak) in one of them. You can control their performance by using different pressure for different terrain.
Their downfall is their rate of wear. That's probably why they aren't as popular as most other tires. They're more expensive and wear down faster. But, they wear down faster because of the amount of traction you get from them. Think of them like sandpaper (less grit/ less knobbies = harsher abrasiveness)
I went with Razr2 fronts because I wanted a good all around tire that would last forever. Since they're going to last forever, I can happily replace my i-Razr rears as often as I like. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
thorDAN said:
I'm gonna vouch for i-Razr rears
Very aggressive forward traction, with easily controlled sliding. The corner knobs serve multiple purposes (rut riding, gravel digging, sand/mud paddling, climbs over roots great, etc). They're lighter than Razr2, and I'm willing to say, just as tough. I've had branches and pointed logs go into them (bringing me to a dead stop) and no puncture. I'm still running with 2 fish hooks (with no air leak) in one of them. You can control their performance by using different pressure for different terrain.
Their downfall is their rate of wear. That's probably why they aren't as popular as most other tires. They're more expensive and wear down faster. But, they wear down faster because of the amount of traction you get from them. Think of them like sandpaper (less grit/ less knobbies = harsher abrasiveness)
I went with Razr2 fronts because I wanted a good all around tire that would last forever. Since they're going to last forever, I can happily replace my i-Razr rears as often as I like. :thumbsup:

The I-Razr's are an awesome tire...like ThorDan said!

Many of my freinds who race Harescrambles use them and speak highly of them! Yes it is true that they do tend to wear more easily, but man these tires, rock!

I have a complete set of them, had them on my Warrior and they made the Warrior launch in all types of terrain. Less grippy, than the RazrII's but this is why I bought them...I actaully like a little slippage.

Additionally, I was the first purchase of the I-Razr's and I was looked upon by my peers as being crazy, but soon everyone else had a set after seeing what they could do for my Warrior!

You can not go wrong by purchasing, either of the two Maxxis Tires = I-Razr's or RazrII's

I now have a set of GNCC Rears and a set of RazrII Fronts, also an unbeatable combination.

Main thing to consider when purchasing front tires is, always try to select a front tire with a rounded profile. The rounded profile helps steer you better not only on track settings but also trail settings, with a rounded profile front tire, you will be much more able to accurately steer through the curves.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Very interesting info! :thumbsup: I'm only interested in the rears. Honestly I like the Dunlop KT331 radials for the front. They are tough, radial, and hook really good in the turns.

The Razr 2 is not radial, and they look pretty heavy. I am already extremely satisfied with Holeshot GNCC for the muddy locations or other 'extreme' situations. Both the GNCC and XCR are really light weight.

Maybe IRazr would be a nice choice with more versatility. It looks like they would do better if I ran into mud unexpectedly than the XCRs might. However, I have no basis for that conclusion other than comparing the tread designs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.