Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i pulled a bone head move. i caked my bike with mud and decided to run through some puddles and one of them had a 4 or 5 foot hole in it. my airbox completely filled with water and mud. the bike wouldnt start for about an hour. i stood it up, cleaned the mud out of my intake and filter, and drained all the water out. i'm worried that i might have dirt in the top end. is there anything i can do without taking the topend apart to make sure i wont have a problem? i rode it for about 20 min after this happened and it felt fine, but i dont want to blow it up or anything. any tips would be appreciated :help:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Change your oil ASAP, you may have water or muddy water in it !! :eek:

Clean your air filter...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Pull the spark plug and press the starter button to "push" the water out of the engine. You might also do a search ... a couple of others have encountered similar situations recently.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Big Mike said:
Change your oil ASAP, you may have water or muddy water in it !! :eek:

Clean your air filter...
Then change your oil again, and then again, until there's no trace of a milky residue/color.

Take your intake apart and clean it as well as the filter.

DO NOT RIDE THE BIKE! Just turn it on and let it run for a few minutes after each oil change.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Well since you already road it afterwards, your done, but flushing it a few times with clean oil and cleanign the intake would help. Try using a thinner oil for flush, typical use is a 10-40, try a 10-30 for flush, then change to the normal oil with new filter and have at it. Hopefully all is good

·
Registered
994 Posts
Damn same thing happened to me yesterday :eek:

At first it started out shallow and BAM big drop off into like 4-5 feet of water. i got it out without stalling or anything but i had to go back thru it because there were even bigger mud holes up ahead :eek:

I didn't do any cleaning to it or anything shiiiittt...just kept riding all day...

I hope i'll be okay...ffs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Duane said:
Well since you already road it afterwards, your done, but flushing it a few times with clean oil and cleanign the intake would help. Try using a thinner oil for flush, typical use is a 10-40, try a 10-30 for flush, then change to the normal oil with new filter and have at it. Hopefully all is good
well i checked my oil and it is light grey. you said "im done" . what exactly do you mean, the bike is goin to blow up no matter what or something. when i rode it, it seemed fine and i only road it out of the woods. do i still have a chance of just flushing it. and also should i change the oil filter each time i flush? thanx!!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
berry42079 said:
Duane said:
well i checked my oil and it is light grey. you said "im done" . what exactly do you mean, the bike is goin to blow up no matter what or something. when i rode it, it seemed fine and i only road it out of the woods. do i still have a chance of just flushing it. and also should i change the oil filter each time i flush? thanx!!
I would change the filter and oil a few times as stated above.....Water in your oil is a bad thing.. :(

·
Registered
994 Posts
The Outlaw has a 'Water In Oil" light. It didn't come on after going thru the water. I just hope it can tell if there's water in the oil to turn the light on and tell me....

But yeah, it didn't come on. Should I trust the light? :)

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Jeremy said:
The Outlaw has a 'Water In Oil" light. It didn't come on after going thru the water. I just hope it can tell if there's water in the oil to turn the light on and tell me....

But yeah, it didn't come on. Should I trust the light? :)
Should you trust the light? Probably not.

Can you trust the light? Well that's probably something better answered by other outlaw or ktm 5XX owners.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Why are you asking questions about a stupid polaris on the rappy sight?? we all have raptors just in case the forum name confused you somehow. :confused: if you didnt cut it off then you didnt suck water into the intake, you should be fine. ps. that is kinda sweet that the polaris has a water in the oil light.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Big Mike said:
berry42079 said:
Duane said:
I would change the filter and oil a few times as stated above.....Water in your oil is a bad thing.. :(
What I meant by saying your done is that any damage you did is already done, since you rode it. There's really two routes that you should do. Either open and inspect the bearings (thats where the water will do the most short term damage) or flush it out a few times, changing the filter with the oil. Water also turns acidy with oil which will create corrosion (especially with aluminum parts), so get it out.

Realisticy, you'll probably be alright, just flush it out a few times, clean the intake up and ride it like you stole it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i always ride it like i stole it, isnt that what your supposed to do :grin_nod:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanx for the info guys and if it breaks well, i'm sure you will all hear about it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Up Periscope. :lol:

·
Registered
554 Posts
:stupid: The bad thing is though you would have to mount the periscope on the bottom since they float belly up.

In between oil "flushing" changes can you run the raptor for very short periods without the oil filters while flushing it out?

Also I have not had engine problems on all the quads over the years I have floated belly up after giving them several oil flushing changes, but everyone of them started having electrical parts fail early such as relays and especially starter parts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:beer: LOL :lol:

i did have problems with my starter immediatly. it wouldnt even turn the motor for 45 minutes. i hit it a few times with the spark plug wrench and she turned over. it took a while to get started and smoked for a minute. then i rode it home and checked the oil and it looked like really lite coffee. i'm goin to flush it today and order a set of swimmy's for myself.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I wonder if someone makes pontoons that attach to the nerf bars? I think I might have a great product for a infomercial. :lol: :lol: Any one want to buy some. :lol:

·
Registered
994 Posts
SMIB fursure said:
Why are you asking questions about a stupid polaris on the rappy sight?? we all have raptors just in case the forum name confused you somehow. :confused: if you didnt cut it off then you didnt suck water into the intake, you should be fine. ps. that is kinda sweet that the polaris has a water in the oil light.
:(
I like the site a lot. Lot's of help and moves faster (Takes less time to get a response) than the Pred site I also go to. The question really didn't seem quad specific, just quad/motor related. Sorry for asking.

And the light is neat but I just hope it works! Yeah, I was out of place to ask about the light here, as Maddog indirectly told me. :lol:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts