Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so it came down to this, i have some money laying around JK

and i cant make up my mind. i realy like the 450's that are comeing out

and want both of best world's, trail and mx.

dont get me wrong i love my raptor 660 and i will never sell it

i have plans for it in the future and want to keep it so

geting rid of it is out of the question.

i would like to own two atv's but not another payment

i like yamaha's 450's, if u guys had a choice witch one would u get honda, yamaha, suzuki or wait til kawi
come's out with there's

thanks
eric

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Unless you need something tomorrow, I'd adopt a "wait and see" attitude regarding the 450's. Kawi has one on the horizon WITH REVERSE, and KTM is rumoured to have a 450 and 525 in the gates. The next yfz could adapt the 700's aluminum frame and efi.

If you need something tomorrow, the honda seems to be the most trail friendly. All 3 are good on the track.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I personally would get the YFZ if your into hill climbing; however, the LTR is close second in my opinion, and its fuel injected which is also a nice feature. The honda has a plush ride like a 400ex and around the same power as the yfz and ltr, but it comes with a smoother hit unlike the harder 2 stroke hit that you get from the YFZ.

If you buy a YFZ you might want to look into Abernathyonline.com (I bought my yFZ brand new in 04 for 5999.00 out the door.)

Or you can dive into the motor head first creating a 719cc TQ monster, by using HoTrod Cranks and special stroker big bore piston (10:5 to 1)

Crank +4
Piston 102mm bore
Retail:644

Your cost: 560 shipped

·
Registered
965 Posts
If you want the best of both worlds (trails and MX) then the Honda will be the best choice. The YFZ and LTR were designed around the MX track, and lack the bottom end torque and smoother power delivery of the Honda for the trails. I have plenty of time on the YFZ, and I really dont like the power delivery. It's like a light switch (2-stroke). I've also ridden the TRX, and although it might feel slower...it's just as fast as the others.

If you ride mostly MX...get the YFZ
If you ride mostly trails...then get the TRX
If it's 50/50...flip a coin
They are all great machines

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my bad i should of made my self more clear.

i ment both of best would's meaning my raptor for trails and 450 for mx.

so i would want the 450 just for mx and it sound's like the yamaha is best for that

anyone els have any in put

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
fast rap said:
my bad i should of made my self more clear.

i ment both of best would's meaning my raptor for trails and 450 for mx.

so i would want the 450 just for mx and it sound's like the yamaha is best for that

anyone els have any in put

i was talking to my yamaha dealer here they dont care for the 450s for long life in the motor they have be rebiulding lots of them about every 60 hours they gotta rebiuld the top end in them and most all the parts are cheap timing chain here only cost $20 for the 450 liek thay say its for racing use only so lots of powr short motor life liek all the other 450s thats are "race ready" ill stick with my raptor at least the parts have some meat on them to last a bit longer

·
Registered
192 Posts
A guy across the street has a new suzuki 450 with a yoshi pipe. That bike is badass! Two wide for trails but perfect for mx.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The only 450 ive ridden is my girls LTR 450. I think its the best bang for the buck. Its EFI, already wide and low, with awesome shocks from the factory. The throttle response is awesome, and it pulls great with the lid off the box, spark arrestor out of the pipe and a cherry bomb. The layout is comfortable for me too. I was originally gonna buy an 06 YFZ, but I sat on it, and it was too cramped for me, so I got a 700 instead. Never thought id like Suzuki, but I do now.

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
For me, I would stick to a Raptor 700. If you are wanting an MX bike, then I understand your reasoning. Personally I'm cramped on a YFZ 450. I've not rode the Suzuki, but the specs make it sound bad straight out of the box. It has EFI and it's WIDE! Yamaha needs to counter with EFI, but there are several other brands about to hit with new and improved versions of the 400 cc class bikes.

Like Maddog said, wait and see what else is coming out.

~Brian

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well im in know rush so i guess i will get more mods for my raptor first,

and wait to see what's up in comeing

tho only reason y i was so tempted cause the dealer had a few 06's left
and i could of got one for cheaper now that it's a new year

if i could get an 06 for dirt cheap should i do it

i cant make up my mind

1 - 11 of 11 Posts