Raptor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and new to 4 wheelin all together. My brother got me into it and it is a blast. Just purchased an 05 660 and love it. Now I need to equip the rest of the family. My better half dosen't need a rocket, she dosen't like super speed. My 13 year old daughter is 5'6" and she also dosen't need a speed demon. My son on the other hand is 7 and has no fear. None of them have any riding experience (and I don't have much for that matter either). I need some suggestions of quads that would be good for them. I would like to keep them in the yammy family. you guys have the experience and that is why I am comming to you for advise. Thanks for your input. Our riding will be a mix of trail and the dunes at little sahara in OK.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Raptor 350s or 250s would fit the better half and the daughter. I personally questioned the power of the 250's and their ability to run in the dunes until a neighbor joined us for a dune ride at Silver Lake in Michigan. She was able to navigate the dunes at silver lake quite well with a bone stock 250 and a set of decent molded paddle tires. Another member here has brought his daughter to our last two Raptor Rallies at Little Sahara and she can run around with her 250 all over out there.

The 7 year old, it depends a lot on his size. If the little 50/90 size atvs will fit him that's a great machine to learn on and it'll do fine on the flat sections of the dunes but won't be much for climbing around. The downside of these atvs is that kids outgrow them quickly and they are not cheap. There is a 125 class raptor and grizzly if he's a bit bigger, and it won't be obsolete as quickly.

If they're more in tune with the laid back, slower, and more comfortable operation of a utility atv I would look into the smaller grizzly line (350cc would be my suggestion, with or without 4wd). If you'd like the best of both worlds, take a look at the wolverine. It's a utility atv with four wheel drive and the big enclosed foot wells but with the look of a sport quad.

Or, you could pick up a Rhino side by side and one 250/350 and all four of you could go out at once. You or your wife/gf could pilot the rhino with the youngest and after some seat time and perhaps a little growth for the 7 year old the kids could alternate between the atv and the passenger seat and you and your wife could take turns on the 660. After some time getting used to them I have seen many people's wives/girlfriends/sisters/etc ride 660s without worry or apprehension. The nice thing about the 660 is that the torque allows it to be putted around slowly with plenty of power to overcome obstacles. It doesn't need to be ridden fast to be fun.

Outfitting the whole family with atvs, or buying a side by side, is not a cheap endeavor. I really like most of the Yamaha line and they are good, reliable vehicles. But you may want to check out your options from other manufacturers as well, especially if buying used. There are lots of great choices out there for all of your applications.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was thinking of the 350's for my wife and daughter. As for my son, when he sits on the 660 his feet are on the pegs. So I think the 90 would just do for only a year, maybe two at the most. I have access to 250 acres of farmland for them to learn to ride on before we get to the trails and dunes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
get the kid a 125 raptor then they are pretty peppy for anyone under 100 lbs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts