Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the process of looking at a 2001 Raptor. I've heard that this is a bad year for the raptor and that a lot of problems were reported to occur with the 2001's. Ive heard that transmission problems and the starting motor failing was a problem along with the oil tanks cracking. Is there any truth tho this or a these just myth's. Also what should I look for when purchasing a used raptor, what are known to go on them, I know its sure hard to find a good raptor thats used.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I would steer away from a 2001 unless it had an upgraded transmission. Also, the other problem is actually with the one way bearing, not the starter motor, and effects all Raptors.

Good luck with your search! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright so if it didn't have an upgraded transmission how would I go about doing this? Is it an expensive job? Aftermarket or do get a transmission out of say a 2002+ raptor?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
JEM said:
Alright so if it didn't have an upgraded transmission how would I go about doing this? Is it an expensive job? Aftermarket or do get a transmission out of say a 2002+ raptor?
It's about 600-800 in parts plus labor costs. You use the OEM parts from the 02-05 (same parts).

RipperRacing.com is a company that does a lot of them. They and Raptortranny.com will have all the info you need on parts, cost, and even a walkthrough of the process if you want to do it yourself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So is the tranny in the 01's DEFINITE to give out. Was every model affected or is it possible to find and 01 without this problem?

·
Registered
16 Posts
JEM, I heard all those horror stories about the 01's as well and even read about them. But, i found a good deal on one. Its completely stock, other than a Big Gun exhaust and it runs good. I only took it out twice but nothing seems to be wrong with the clutch or tranny. Everything went smooth, so far. The way I look at it, is since I got a good deal on it, it wont hurt if i have to put some cash in to it. I looked yesterday on Kelly Blue Book and the 01's retail for 3210. I paid 1700! Plus, im only keepin this thing until next year, then im gettin a 700 LE. I just cant afford one this year. I just wanted something now, cuz my roommate got a used bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts