Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to buy a rpator 660 in the near future, i dont know what year yey, it depends what i can find. What are some of the common things i should watch out for when looking at a 4 wheeler before i buy it?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Any year but what rappy'97 said, 2001 are notorious for bad transmissions, some die some don't, I'd rather not take the chance. And just look for things like rust and cracks in welds, bearings the air filter, usually you can tell pretty easily if the owner has taken care of the quad or trashed it. Good luck looking, let us know if you find any interesting ones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
01 trannys watch for that, and the starter clutch are weak on earlier models, and I've had my carb boots blow off quite often on my 02.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
see if it smokes on start up. Feel the engine to see if the owner started it up and got it nice an warm before you showed up.

Look at the air box. See what kind of shape the air filter is in. See if it has been maintained properly. Look for where paint as flaked off welds.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Just my opinion, but if the bike comes with a skid plate, I'd tell the owner I want it taken off when I come look at the bike. I had a guy tell me one time that his bike was in MINT condition, that the 2 hour drive I was making would be more than worth it. I told him I didn't want it warmed up at all. "Not a problem" he says. I got there, the guy is flying around his yard on it, stops right by my truck and says "come on I'll help you load it up!" I brought up the fact that I told him I didn't want him to start it before I got there, and he said his kid did it without him knowing. I rode the bike a couple times around his yard, pulled up to the garage, shut it down, and looked it over. It looked decent, until I got down toward the bottom of the crankcase. The guy got a little too sloppy with the JB weld. I called him on the fact that obviously the crankcase was cracked or had a hole in it, at which point he said if it did that I must have done it on the spin around his yard, but yet the skid plate was in great condition. As I was leaving, he admitted to the crankcase having a decent sized crack in it, and fixing it with JB Weld, all while offering to take more money off his asking price. I told him he couldn't pay me to take the bike, especially after claiming the bike was "Cherry" on the phone. God knows what else was wrong with the bike. I don't expect a mint bike, but I expect a seller to at least be honest with me and not try to cover damage with a skid plate...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts