Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i bent a exhaust valve being an idiot while fixing my oil leak
anyway
what valves should i buy? i have hurd people say kimble whites are junk blah blah blah
i currently have stage 1 hotcam 101mm 11:1 wisco piston full fmf exhaust....
not sure what to buy..really dont want to spend money on stock valves when i can get something better
thinking i might as well replace the springs also
tell me what u guys think

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I seen Pro-x valves that are made by Wiseco for about $100. I know Ferrea SS valves are good but cost about $175 from Kenz. I have not found them online from anyone else. I would like to get a new set but don't wanna put up almost $200 lol.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I believe a few years ago there was a quality problem but it has been rectified, but since Kibblewhite basically did nothing for me when one of there valves basically destroyed and engine for me, I still refuse to buy their valves and I use Ferrea valves now............

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
I bought Ferrea's to put in my engine. The are amazing looking. I got them from a guy on ebay for $23 ea a little over a year ago.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I bought Ferrea's to put in my engine. The are amazing looking. I got them from a guy on ebay for $23 ea a little over a year ago.
I seen them last year and still kick myself. There were also some for about $100 shipped last year and I didn't jump on it:( I do agree about the look of the Ferrea's. Have a used set in my Barker head and they just look BA.:D Now I need some for my other money pit.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Stock valves have treated me good. Rather have the valve wear out than the head.....thats the reason why i dont go with stronger valves. Im running hc s2 and have had 0 problems

·
Registered
907 Posts
We mostly use KW valves for stock or +1 valves because they are cheaper and havent seen any problems with them, Ferrea's are very good quality but more expensive. Both valves are good.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Ferrea valves. Dont for get to have the valve job done.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ferrea valves. Dont for get to have the valve job done.
So i need to have a valve job done ? When I replace my valves?
Can I just take out my stock valves and replace them with new stock valves
Or are u saying I need to have a valve job done when replacing valves period ?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Idealy you should have one done. I would also trust rocket factory's advice. You lap a valve by putting valve compound on the seat and the edge of the valve where it seals against head. You have a suction cup on a stick that you attact to the valve head. Turn the stick back and fourth. That way the valve and seat will match and seal correctly.

To do a real valve job they have a machine that grinds the valve and valve seat. Followed up by a little lap job.

I dont know what just a valve job costs. I have always just replaced the valves when I had the head ported. Most shops include a valve job as part of a port job. It didnt cost any more to change the valves out at that time, other than the cost of the valves.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gotcha.....thanks for the info guys i think i will just go with the stock valves
to get her up and running again
to many toys not enough money

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have kibble white black diamond or something in my willykiller head… Needless to say I have a lot riding on them to stay intact. So far so good. If I find a set of ferras on the cheap on ebay you bet your booty that I’m buying them…. A willykiller head is no joke…;)

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
If your valve seat are really bad like mine were you may want to rough lap them with an old valve before you start lapping away with a new valve. I did this by taking a stock valve (good condition), installing the compound and putting it in the head. Chuck the valve stem into a power drill and run it at a very LOW speed. This will allow you to put a little more force on the valve and not ruin a brad new valve. The reason I used a drill is because the little suction cup tool did not work good on the stock valves due to the letters on the face and I just couldn't get it to stick.

Obviously you will need to lap it again with the valve that is going to be in that valve position before you are done.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I just chucked a cut of bolt in the drill and put the suction cup on the cut off bolt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts