Raptor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which will get me the most power with out diving in to the engine real far? Hot rods crank, or a hotcam stage 1? and what will a .50 bore piston do as far as power?

·
Registered
735 Posts
your at a point now where you may as well get all the parts you can and do it all at once. If you are talking replacing the crank, you may as well bore, get the head ported for the setup you want, and depending on what kind of riding you are planning to do decide on a 1 or 2 cam. Hell, if you'll be swaping pistons, go with higher compression too.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Limited660 said:
Which will get me the most power with out diving in to the engine real far? Hot rods crank, or a hotcam stage 1? and what will a .50 bore piston do as far as power?
A half mm of bore (.40 over I believe) won't do jack for power, however the increase in compression from 9.2:1 to 11:1 or so will give you a healthy boost.

A crank itself won't do anything performance-wise but if the crank increases the stroke (hotrods sells a 4mm stroker crank kit that requires the use of their 102mm piston) then you'll get more low and midrange power.

A barker's/vito's crank will allow you to use any regular piston instead of needing a special one that is only availible in a couple sizes and compression ratios. Installing one of these is typically a couple hundred bucks for labor and parts above and beyond the cost of the crank/rod assembly itself.

A piston on the other hand is cheaper to do:
125 for the piston'
35 for a top end gasket kit
60 bucks for a cylinder hone and bore (this varies)

Other things to consider are camshafts, valve springs, and head porting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts