Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having troubles with plugs, I've been burning them up and was wondering if I'm running the right one? I recently had the quad dynoed and is running pretty clean @ 13:1 fuel -air, but I'm still burning up plugs? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm running a CR8 E now! Thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Spark plug
Type/manufacturer CR8E/NGK
Spark plug gap 0.7 ~ 0.8 mm (0.028 ~ 0.031 in)

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I'm having troubles with plugs, I've been burning them up and was wondering if I'm running the right one? I recently had the quad dynoed and is running pretty clean @ 13:1 fuel -air, but I'm still burning up plugs? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm running a CR8 E now! Thanks
Try a 9 EIX plug from NGK.....:D

·
Registered
99 Posts
NGK Iridium ix (CE8EIX 4218). Expensive, had to order and didn't notice know a difference in performance but... They have been in there about a year. So I'm happy with them

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Put a new plug in, the old one might be bad. Running a different plug may or may not solve your problem but unless your current plug is bad then it's not the cause of your problems.

As for revving it after you start it, don't do so until the engine warms up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What else could be the issue?? It's just been dynoed! I tried the cr9 plug and that didn't help at all. It spits and sputters with that plug in. Gonna try the cr8 again in the iridium plug and see what happens? Not sure what else it could be. Any help please

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Do you every Rev it up just after start-up?
Dont rev it up just after you start it. Let it warm up properly first that might be a reason the plug craps out. You could try a new plug wire and put some dialetic grease at both ends. Cant hurt!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's a good mix for gas/air ratio?? The place I took it to said 13:1 was good. Can't seem to understand why I'm burning up plugs?!:( they look pretty dark when I take them out. Do you think I need it dynoed again? Please help with some suggestions please!

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Your running rich if its dark thats for sure! You could try removing the air box lid but im no expert... wait until others chime in and say that its a good idea to try it. I dont see anything bad resulting from this and will surely lean it and make the plug look alot better.

Must be a pain to burn up spark plugs this way and the money spent. Wish your problem gets resolved quickly!

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm running a EHS lid now, I'll try and take it right off and see what happens. Will more air lean it out? I'm also gonna go back to cr8 and see what happens, it did not like the cr9 that's for sure

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it's a bigger issue now, put a brand new plug in and it won't start!:( if someone could chime in and throw some ideas around. Does the PCV every go bad or maybe fault? I'm just throwing ideas around. Like I said earlier it was just recently dynoed and is a pain because I'm almost 3 hours away from the closet place to get a dyno. I don't have or know how to run the program on the lap top either do I'm kinda in a bad place. Ideas please people!!!! !:(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Could my fuel pump be on the outs maybe?? Would this be causing my problems with rich and now no gas problem?? Any help?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Check your power and ground wires to you pcV, if there is a bad connection it could cause a over fuel condition. Make sure your connections to the injector and throttle position sensor are good as well. On my pc3, I had a tps connection problem and my quad would spit and sputter. Then it just died. Found out that the previous owner used the scotch lock on the wire and it eventually cut the wire in two.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Im using the flesh colored one. Oups spark plug im sorry!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts