Raptor Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up everyone haven't posted here in a while but been lurking.
so a while back i bought 09 yfz long travel shocks from a guy that maybe rode on them a few times there basically brand new. i have recently ordered and am still waiting on a pair of laeger long travel +3 a arms to match the rear width.
from reading about this topic in the past i know that they will most likely need to be re valved for my weight riding style and the +3 width. the question is what is involved when someone is re valving ones shocks especially what new part they absolutely need to make a re-valve job possible. new oil and gas is the obvious....

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
I don't know much about laeger's offerings but hopefully the a-arm you've ordered uses the length of shock you have. If the shock isn't the right length for the a-arm it will throw off the geometry and make valving and spring rates more difficult to tune.

Here's a diagram of an old banshee rear shock to give you an idea on the internals.

And here's some info from Wiig's site

http://www.wiigstyleracing.com/pages/re_valve.php

Replacing worn parts, changing out the oil, etc is a rebuild. The purpose of re-valving a shock is to change the flow rates of the internal fluid under load to match the demands you will be putting on the shock. For instance, a 660 with +3 a-arms will be exerting a different load on the shock than the stock yfzr at 50", a lighter wet weight, and likely a different suspension geometry.

You may also find yourself replacing the springs as well, not that they're worn but rather that they are better able to handle the rider weight, bike weight, and riding type you're going to use them for.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts