Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some vids on youtube with people running paddles in back and skis up front. Is anyone here running snowmobile skis? If so are they worth it?

What's the best setup for winter(snow) riding?

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
I run paddles and tires and the only problem I have is steering...skis would help a lot but mke sure they are wide enough to stay on top of the snow

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I've seen some vids on youtube with people running paddles in back and skis up front. Is anyone here running snowmobile skis? If so are they worth it?

What's the best setup for winter(snow) riding?
An Arctic Cat Crossfire 800R.............:D

·
Registered
749 Posts
hell yeahh i agree with willy!! lol

i always wondered how the 4-snows do? i never really rode much in the snow before i got my sled because i never had any luck. i'd get stuck, try and back up and the skid plate would act like a shovel

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm on the fence about just buying a sled

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We get enough so there's a solid 5-6 months of it. Nothing like your 11 months. LOL!average annual snowfall Where we live is 106 inches, which is not a ton, but is a lot. We live in the heart of the snow belt

·
Registered
749 Posts
get a sled!

willy and i have talked about sleds quite a bit since i bought my first one last winter. my only regret is not getting into it sooner!!! i ski all day on weekends, so my last desire is to go out on the quad and have my hands and feet freeze more....but on the sled with the heated grips and the heat exchangers under your feet, you can't go wrong! we ride all night long, literally.

either way, Blue def does a lot of snow riding, so he would be one to take some advice on what set up to run.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know the advantages of sleds, I've had several.
Buying a new sled would take a small chunck out of my savings, so money's not the issue
I'm on the fence because I'm running out of space.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thx :cool:

·
Registered
528 Posts
My buddy has some 4Snows and I have some AMS Zippers. They absolutely kill dirt tires on snow and ice. Been running them for a few winters now, highly recommend over holeshots or razrs. On hard snow pack they bite good enough to get the front end up on occasion. I usually run on frozen rivers and the bay of Green Bay which is almost always snow covered. I don't have clearance issues with the tires, but my buddy that runs them on his Predator has to remove his heel guards.

Studs would be fun too, may try that with my old holeshot tires this winter. With just a couple inches of snow on ice they would crush the snow tires plus studs on the front would dramatically help the steering.

I had a buddy that had some skis on the front of a 400ex and 4Snows on the back. He was able to go through snow a couple feet deep as long as he stayed on the throttle. However, no front brakes with skis. I would say I would only do skis if I was running deeper, ungroomed stuff. If thats what you are running, then I'd just get a sled.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts