Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a brand new blue 700 a little over a month ago and the plastics already look rough?? The plastic between the seat and the gas tank have like a foggy look to them and the fenders scratch very easily. Has anyone else run into this and is there anything I can do to try and restore them? Not feeling the love right now after paying almost $7k for something that now looks used for a couple of years. :ripped:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Just be glad you have a blue one. Black really show scratches. I dont know, I just figure I bought it to use, not look at. :confused:

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Wait till you got 9k in it and you roll it over on a hill :'( :lol:

On the bright side it makes the other scratches easier to handle once you do that :lol: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
07SERaptor said:
Just be glad you have a blue one. Black really show scratches. I dont know, I just figure I bought it to use, not look at. :confused:
I'm try to think that way when I'm on the trails, but I guess I was hoping it would look decent at least for the first year or so. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
See.... White stays prettier, not to mention is faster! :thumbsup: :grin_nod:

·
Registered
312 Posts
roc64 said:
:grin_nod: :grin_nod: :grin_nod: :grin_nod: :metal:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
roc64 said:
Ya, mine still looks new. 8)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yup, my black SE is showing a beating too, like all have said, nothing you can really do. I'm working on a solution right now. Will post pics when I'm done.

BTW, I tried several different methods of buffing the plastic to get shine and scratches out. I had some deep gouges from branches. First I wet sanded it with 1000, then 2000. Then used the mothers power ball and some Plastx. It's not bad but doesn't have the gloss that the factory look does. Still better then nothing. My guy feeling is that the only way to get that back is to use a heat gun, very carefully and just soften the area. That will close the pours and bring back the shine. That was how the shine came to be anyway, with heat out of the mould. I know guys have done this trick when fixing bend fenders on Raps before.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Dark colors bad. Neutral colors good.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
roc64 said:
Since you insist, I'm thinking about changing my plastics out to white. I should get a gain of at least 20 hp, right?. :lol:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Jman said:
roc64 said:
Since you insist, I'm thinking about changing my plastics out to white. I should get a gain of at least 20 hp, right?. :lol:
Actually 23hp at the crank and 18 at the rear wheels in most instances, but you can count on +- 1.5hp depending upon what chainlube you use! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
429 Posts
The guys in our group riding the blue 07 YZF's bought white plastic kits this fall befor they even finished setting the bikes up, shiney stock plastic ready for resale next spring.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
roc64 said:
:thumbsup: :metal: :moon: :nana: :woot: :wootwoot:

·
Registered
733 Posts
07SERaptor said:
Exactly, ride it ... I do powerwash mine well and wipe it off with a rag and Simple Green. Then spray the plastic with No Touch Wet n Protect. Makes it shine really well. The scratches are still there but remember ... scratches give character.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Maybe next time buy two Raptors.. One to ride and the other to place on mirrors in your garage so you can look at how pretty it is......

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
bxofrox said:
Maybe next time buy two Raptors.. One to ride and the other to place on mirrors in your garage so you can look at how pretty it is......
I tend to agree with you! I am all for keeping my ride clean and well maintained, but all this stuff about trying everything you can to bring back the shine is pointless in my opinion! Ride it and enjoy it, when the plastics are thrashed, drop a few hundo and get some new ones if it bugs you!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I heard to use sos pads and to clean your white plastics. so i f%&#ed up and did that. scratched them all to hell. looks great from 20 feet though. The only thing that bothers me is that if you do have a deeper scratch and get oil or some nasty dirt into it it fills it in like a tattoo. I have to say though I'm glad i got a white one. that extra hp is nice.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
rappyhappy said:
I heard to use sos pads and to clean your white plastics. so i f%&#ed up and did that. scratched them all to hell. looks great from 20 feet though. The only thing that bothers me is that if you do have a deeper scratch and get oil or some nasty dirt into it it fills it in like a tattoo. I have to say though I'm glad i got a white one. that extra hp is nice.
Try those Mr Clean Erasers on it! Unbelievable!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
You guys totally have me rethinking my whole quad build color scheme thing. :unsure: I mean damn I was going to build a 719 but if I can get the extra power from the white plastics and the chain lube (synthetic I am sure) I think I am going to go this route. Is it the meijers or the full bore or would you go stock? I have heard the stockers are a little thicker, might be good to cut down on weight!! :thumbsup: LOL but really have you ever heard this?? A motor painted black is supposed to run a few degrees cooler than an unpainted motor or a orange, blue, red etc?? on auto engines anyhow, learned this on TLC or something.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts