Raptor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
So am I, welcome to the forum...............

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
welcome to the forum. Post up some pictures of your bike.

·
Master of the Electron
15,065 Posts
Unfortunately for us on the south west coast, the season will be ending in a month - desert just gets too damn hot as summer approaches. We need to ride a lot between now and then... But the good news is, there's always street riding in the summer.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
QM are you talking about riding the can-am on the street or your atv's? didnt think atv's were able to be made street legal in cali?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys! wen i can figure out how to post pics{or get my daughter to do it!} i will. 03 with mods,thats what wifey gonna ride,not as abrupt as banshee we have.

·
Master of the Electron
15,065 Posts
QM are you talking about riding the can-am on the street or your atv's? didnt think atv's were able to be made street legal in cali?
The Spyder - that's why I bought it - it's as close to riding a quad on the street as you can get (legally in CA), plus a whole lot faster. I was tired of getting bored from May to October.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
QM, never rode a Spyder, and I don't know if you've ridden a sled down in St. Diago (thank you Ron Burgundy), but it would seem to me that it would be comparable, at least a little. Any insight as far as that goes?

·
Master of the Electron
15,065 Posts
I've never had the opportunity to ride a snowmobile... San Diego is a ways from any appreciable snow.

However, I plan on visiting Willy one of these winters so I can get the proper training. :D

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
QM, never rode a Spyder, and I don't know if you've ridden a sled down in St. Diago (thank you Ron Burgundy), but it would seem to me that it would be comparable, at least a little. Any insight as far as that goes?
i have a friend that lives here in kentucky and works in minnesota at delta airlines. he rides a 400ex. he said and i quote "anyone that said money cant buy happiness has never ridden a snow mobile"

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I figured that was about right, I can't imagine San Diego seeing much, if any snow. Hmm...anyone that's ridden a Spyder and a sled care to comment? Sorry to highjack OP...

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I've never had the opportunity to ride a snowmobile... San Diego is a ways from any appreciable snow.

However, I plan on visiting Willy one of these winters so I can get the proper training. :D
i have a friend that lives here in kentucky and works in minnesota at delta airlines. he rides a 400ex. he said and i quote "anyone that said money cant buy happiness has never ridden a snow mobile"
Driving a sled can not be compared to driving an atv, they just do not compare. The stock Raptor is about 32 -25 hp, my stock Crossfire 800r is about 157 hp, I added a new style Y pipe and gained some 8 hp, spent over a day working with the clutching to turn it from a mild beast into a wild beast. Added 204 carbide tipped studs and installed snotracker carbides for steering. http://www.snowtracker.com/en/mounting.html
Now the efficiency of a sled isnt as high as an atv but the power to weight ratio is crazy, the pull of the sleds is my biggest kick, the cornering is unbelievable when set up properly and the whole package of sledding is quite the rush.........
My last trip a couple weeks ago was four days of sledding, I may have been able to pull off one more day, but at that point my right hand already had three fingers with open blisters and the other hand wasnt much better...........

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I rode a big sled by myself for the first time a few weeks ago. Your right Willy, there is nothing like it. They almost just pull out under you. They turn so slow, you have to really move around. And you really have to think ahead. My dad has a ZR580. It wouldnt start last week, so we pulled the pipe out, and removed the flywheel. The magnets in the flywheel were busted up into like 5 broken pieces. And the stator was burnt a little. They get expensive REALLY quick. I could go on and on about them:lol:

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I havent rode the sleds much in a couple years but I just picked up a 2002 Pro-x 440. I got to find a trail head for it though as it is still set up for a race sled. Also will be trading my old 93 exciter for a 98 mach z. It is a nice sled, I had one Identical to it for a few year but they had a few problems. This one was my Brother in laws and he has had the whole motor rebuilt(Crank, Piston, Jugs, Powervalves) All new Idlers, track clips, Slides and rebuilt the shocks, CDI, and he traded it for a arctic cat z370. Now the guy he traded dosent like it as its to fast so he want my old exciter:unsure: but I'll trade him, Mach z are nice and fast in a straight line but thats about all it was good for lol

·
Registered
435 Posts
trails just closed here(getting thin)...but we still have 2-3feet in the woods...so ill still be sledding for another week or so.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I havent rode the sleds much in a couple years but I just picked up a 2002 Pro-x 440. I got to find a trail head for it though as it is still set up for a race sled. Also will be trading my old 93 exciter for a 98 mach z. It is a nice sled, I had one Identical to it for a few year but they had a few problems. This one was my Brother in laws and he has had the whole motor rebuilt(Crank, Piston, Jugs, Powervalves) All new Idlers, track clips, Slides and rebuilt the shocks, CDI, and he traded it for a arctic cat z370. Now the guy he traded dosent like it as its to fast so he want my old exciter:unsure: but I'll trade him, Mach z are nice and fast in a straight line but thats about all it was good for lol
Dog, I know what you mean. I don't know what year it is, but my cousin has a mach z and has had nothing but problems with it. He bought it new, some years ago, and has not been able to get a full weekend or more of riding it without something crapping out on him. When it's running, it goes like a raped ape, but the thing is a complete money pit. I can't believe he's held onto it for this long, but he finally made his mind up to get rid of it as soon as he gets it back from the dealership.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Yeah the funny part is the one I am getting was my Brother in laws and we got them on the same day. It was in like 06 so they were both used. I got mine locally with about 2000 miles and we went to Kentucky and he traded a Dirt bike for it as the guy moved down south. His was all black and mine was Black and yellow. I had no problems for the 3000 miles I rode mine and we alway rode together so he had the same amount and all but so many problems. He had all the problems I listed that were fixed above. So I decided to sell mine as the problems were coming out. Thank god for the white star snowmobile auction but only god 1300 for it as it was the end of the season but It was probably a good call and saved me some cash I'm sure...

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Yeah, that's probably good. Plus, Michigan, even way up north, hasn't had the best conditions for snowmobiling in I don't know how long. My aunt and uncle always plan at least one trip up to Black Mountain around Christmas, and I don't think they've actually rode up there in a few years. Tough to justify spending the money on a sled, but that's just my opinion. I'm sure others will disagree with me on that one, so please nobody take that as me trying to argue, lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts